Product Review: O.E.M. phenolic m62 spacer - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Product Review: O.E.M. phenolic m62 spacer
Monday, March 01, 2010 8:44 AM
Hey guys I'm sure some people have been wondering what kind of drop in temps you would see if you added this to your blower setup. Well this past weekend Rare5spd and myself installed and tested O.E.M.'s spacer before and after using an IR heat gun to get surface temps and then used HPT to log temps while driving normally and under full throttle getting onto on ramps to merge into the highway. The temperature during testing was roughly 28-30 F.

TEST CAR:
04 eco/5spd
Mods:
GMPP M62 kit
gm flash,
3.0 pulley,
Cobra h/e,
wai,
pacesetter,
2.5 exhaust

This is how everything arrived once I received the spacer.

Now when I post up the temps taken at the snout, middle, lower manifold, and #4 runner I'm referring to the spots in red on this photo.

I know some people were worried about hood clearance, I myself have a stock hood without sound deadening material on it. The spacer is only 1/8 in thick, so I wasn't worried but, if I had an invader the clearance might not be as good. We placed play-dough where the map would go on the m62 and by the sensors on the tb as well. Once the play-dough was on the blower I gently closed the hood and once opened I used a box cutter to cut the dough in half. As you will see in the second pic there is slightly more than one inch of clearance by the map/ gm plug location. I had 3/4 inch of clearance by the sensors on the tb as well but didn't take a pic of that.

I layered the spacers out on the blower to make sure that everything lined up before putting everything back together. I would like to note How we installed the spacer and gaskets as some people might do it differently. The order I ran my spacer in was as follows. lower Manifold - paper gasket - Phenolic spacer - gm metal gasket - M62 blower. For the bypass spacer you have a rubber o-ring on the manifold side and for the other that makes contact with the blower bypass I used a light film of black RTV. I had no issues with boost leak or vacuum leaks when we installed it this way.

Ok now for some numbers, once Rare5spd gets a chance he will throw up the logs as well for the review but I told him I was going to put this up prior as we live kinda far apart and he works during the day and I work graveyard shift.

Results:
Without Phenolic m62 spacer- snout 123, Middle 110, #4runner 151, lower intake 137, Cruising temp w/o boost 35-45mph 90-93
With O.E.M. Phenolic spacer - snout 98, Middle 85, #4 runner 126, lower intake 102, Cruising temp w/o boost35-45mph 79-82

Overall I am happy with the difference, However I told O.E.M. that adding a spacer for the intake manifold to cylinder head would really compliment this product as well. So I plan on testing that as well in combination with the M62 spacer and post results later. On a side note I would like to add I had no issue using a stock gmpp belt for the kit and the raising of the m62 should hep with tension on the belt with smaller pulley sizes.

hope this helps some peole who were wondering what benifit they would see.

Re: Product Review: O.E.M. phenolic m62 spacer
Monday, March 01, 2010 9:27 AM
Very nice, I might need to get one for the balt...

Monday, March 01, 2010 10:59 AM
so by adding a spacer you dropped upwards of 30 degrees?

wtf lol

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, March 01, 2010 11:53 AM
Qwibby {T3H Old QBE} wrote:so by adding a spacer you dropped upwards of 30 degrees?

wtf lol

That was just on the lower intake manifold where the coils are. iat's dropped roughly 10 deg F when cruising 35-45 mph on normal streets. I was surprised at some of the temps, but I'm more interested in seeing the payoff of using one on the intake manifold to head connection. Anything you can do helps the m62 fight heat soak I should have my dual pass on in a month or two as well.

Monday, March 01, 2010 12:38 PM
How much time in between test did you allow the engine to cool off if any? I would of let it cool completely off before I tried the second test. Just wondering.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, March 01, 2010 12:50 PM
sounds decently impressive! might have to look into this. how did u measure temps in each area??

Monday, March 01, 2010 12:52 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:How much time in between test did you allow the engine to cool off if any? I would of let it cool completely off before I tried the second test. Just wondering.

We didn't let it cool off, all temps were taken once the car was up operating temp of 195 this way you could get a better idea of what it would do in normal driving conditions. I forgot to metion that in the results section, that all temps were when the car was parked running so everything could get heat soaked. Sorry I must have deleted it when I was editing it durring previews before I posted up. That was my mistake

Monday, March 01, 2010 1:00 PM
05xtremecav wrote:sounds decently impressive! might have to look into this. how did u measure temps in each area??

All temps were taken with an infared temp gun while the car was parked after we drove around getting info on the hpt allowing the blower to get heat soaked, and the driving Iat's were while out of boost from Rare5spd's laptop via Hp tuners @35-45mph on local roads.

Monday, March 01, 2010 2:16 PM
JUCNBST wrote:
WHITECAVY wrote:How much time in between test did you allow the engine to cool off if any? I would of let it cool completely off before I tried the second test. Just wondering.

We didn't let it cool off, all temps were taken once the car was up operating temp of 195 this way you could get a better idea of what it would do in normal driving conditions. I forgot to metion that in the results section, that all temps were when the car was parked running so everything could get heat soaked. Sorry I must have deleted it when I was editing it durring previews before I posted up. That was my mistake

Cool man, yea your right about testing at operating temp. Makes more sense.

Nice job though, good results. What would really be sweet if you had dyno #'s of before and after

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, March 01, 2010 2:33 PM
Monday, March 01, 2010 3:31 PM
sweet results happy i bought one of these.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2623318

Monday, March 01, 2010 3:37 PM
and jucnbst what is that plug for the map sensor made out of ? and did you buy it or make it because i really need to get one of those.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2623318

Monday, March 01, 2010 4:07 PM
Whitecavi- I would be currious of dyno numbers but for the cost it is not worth it for me.

Jared Methe- I sent you a pm

Monday, March 01, 2010 4:17 PM
well blow me down. i gotta be honest... i had my doubts such a small spacer would be effective. i am even more anxious to try out my OEM head/manifold spacer for my venom intake now. i bet the difference is even more than that. it gets so hot you cannot touch it.

this is awesome, good freaking job man. we need more people like you willing to try stuff out and show actual improvements.

Monday, March 01, 2010 4:33 PM
it will be alot closer to hitting on a 02 or older swapped car , the 95-02 hood sits lower , the s/c already rubs on my 02 with the rk ram air where the map sensor goes on the sssc/redline

nice average on temp drop

Monday, March 01, 2010 8:05 PM
Definitely liking the numbers from this. But like stated above the 02's hood sits lower. So I doub this will fit my car

Monday, March 01, 2010 8:57 PM
JUCNBST wrote:
05xtremecav wrote:sounds decently impressive! might have to look into this. how did u measure temps in each area??

All temps were taken with an infared temp gun while the car was parked after we drove around getting info on the hpt allowing the blower to get heat soaked, and the driving Iat's were while out of boost from Rare5spd's laptop via Hp tuners @35-45mph on local roads.

ah gotcha. well cool im even more interested. wonder if its actually got a hp increase just by letting the blower be cooler

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:02 AM
z yaaa- I'm sure the spacer will help, is the venom made of metal or plastic? I'm always down to test out products if I can, keep an eye out for the lower manifold to cylinder head test i'll be posting up as I already have the spacer in the en route.

97 cavi24ls & Ecotecpower - I didn't realize that there was that tight of a hood clearance issue on the 95-02's, i'm sure you could slightly grind down the map area with the threaded hole for a little more clearance.

05xtreamcav- I'm sure there is a slight increase in power since cooler air is more dense.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:57 AM
Very nice review! Thanks!

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 8:41 AM
We have a couple in stock as well

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Tuesday, March 02, 2010 8:57 AM
[quote=97cavie24ls(™)]it will be alot closer to hitting on a 02 or older swapped car , the 95-02 hood sits lower , the s/c already rubs on my 02 with the rk ram air where the map sensor goes on the sssc/redline

nice average on temp drop

ecotecpower wrote:Definitely liking the numbers from this. But like stated above the 02's hood sits lower. So I doub this will fit my car

same boat as these guys. already had to dismantle one of my sensors as it was hitting my erebuni hood, well still does a tad. i'm hoping a correct tb adapter will fix that problem. good work. def on my wish list.

my carDomain updated 10/31/09 Forged and Supercharged

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 7:47 PM
JUCNBST wrote:z yaaa- I'm sure the spacer will help, is the venom made of metal or plastic? I'm always down to test out products if I can, keep an eye out for the lower manifold to cylinder head test i'll be posting up as I already have the spacer in the en route.

97 cavi24ls & Ecotecpower - I didn't realize that there was that tight of a hood clearance issue on the 95-02's, i'm sure you could slightly grind down the map area with the threaded hole for a little more clearance.

05xtreamcav- I'm sure there is a slight increase in power since cooler air is more dense.

for me , only fix to clear would be to completely cut down the map area , weld the hole in and blend it like it was never there , in order to use anything that lifts the s/c up

and living in hellizona , it would be nice in the summer time to drop the temp a few degrees

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 7:47 PM
DOH !!!!!! double post bad me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, March 02, 2010 7:48 PM

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 8:25 PM
Sounds promising, I want to see what the intake manifold spacer will do also.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 10:23 AM
I have to apologize about not having posted up some logs. Unfortunately I lost the log before the spacer was installed. I will be helping with the intake manifold spacer install and testing so I will make sure that I will get those logs posted up for you guys.

Save your money. It might be worth something someday.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search