ammfab race ported ecotec head inside....... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ammfab race ported ecotec head inside.......
Friday, August 20, 2010 8:01 PM
well im back with the newest addition to blueboost's car. well actually lets get u guys up to date on things first . well the old head cracked in the combo chambers and was pushing coolant into the exhaust so the engine got pulled out and tore down. nows the chance to upgrade so we did. its getting a built bottom end, cams (and springs), head work, turbo, clutch, flywheel, lsd, new bearings etc. the car made 296 whp at 9.5 lbs on the stock engine so now that we are increasing its volumetric efficiency im hoping new numbers at 10lbs can be in the area of 350-360 whp, and thats just a wild guess on my behalf so if im off and u think it may differ by all means let me know.

so ive been porting heads for 6 years now mainly dealing with neons and dsm's but its time to open new doors and the ecotec is one of the ones chosen. anyways so he had an extra head (lost foam cast) so i said let me see it and ill work some magic. this head was not easy to port for a few reasons....... 1, my carbides were dull and this lost foam stuff is hard! 2, the intake ports are so damn long that its hard to be steady while getting all the way up in there but in the end the final product is amazing. now i dont have numbers yet but i will get them for sure. im guesstimating upwards of 300cfm on the intake side (that may be pushing it a little) and i hope to see at least 200cfm on the exhaust side. its at the machine shop right now getting the valve job and resurface before it goes to the flow bench. anyways im at work right now so in a few hours ill get home and throw a few pics up, ill take alot more once i get the machine work done. oh and this is getting +1 intake and exhaust valves in case anybody was wondering.

mike

i make neons go fast.........

Re: ammfab race ported ecotec head inside.......
Friday, August 20, 2010 8:53 PM
Can't wait to see pics, i know is gonna be a one of a kind p&p head judging from the turbo setup you built for Aaron.

peformance parts for sale!! Click:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/62265/
Friday, August 20, 2010 9:08 PM
If you can top these numbers.

And provide the runner to runner accuracy then i might be interested.

Boost > N/A

180hp in 1989 or 260hp in 2008, you decide. Quad < Ecotec

Friday, August 20, 2010 9:11 PM
I wish i knew the specs on my head and it was flow tested. ill have to see if jon has the numbers on it. I just know its ported and polished to @!#$ and has about $2400 into it. The runner dividers were so sharp, i literally cut my finger on them feeling them. looked mint too!

Friday, August 20, 2010 9:59 PM
Tinkles wrote:If you can top these numbers.

And provide the runner to runner accuracy then i might be interested.

If my knowledge/memory serves me correctly... I believe there is more room to port the exhaust side of an lsj head vs the l61 due to head design... but I'm guessing it will still be very close to those numbers... furthermore I didn't realize the stock heads flowed so damn well on the intake side! Holy shins...

...I am the BEST at what I do...
"I guess your right[BlueBoost]. Me and my slow car are failers."

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:01 PM
i looked at all the flow number i could find, i saw the m2 (highest numbers i found and best looking in quality, but its not all about the flow numbers), the patriot and another companies cnc head work numbers and i also saw pics, so that along with what my neon heads flow (similar in size and shape on the intake as the eco) is what i based my guesses off of. ill get some pics taken and have them up in a little bit here. (still at work) and ill get it to the flow bench some time next week.

mike

Friday, August 20, 2010 11:19 PM
the problem with L61 heads is the coolant passages between the runners on the exhaust ports, which hahn and someone else found out about the hard way

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:30 AM
finally heres the pics............

mike

Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:29 AM
IamQwibby (Eco Meatcake) wrote:the problem with L61 heads is the coolant passages between the runners on the exhaust ports, which hahn and someone else found out about the hard way

Yep gotta be really careful on the L61 because these passages run real close to the runners as is. They don't leave much room for error. I thought I had a close call at one point but it turned out it was a tiny pocket in the casting and didn't actually break through.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:39 AM
I didn't mean to post just yet cause I wasn't finished so sorry for the double post.

The ports look very well done and you certainly removed a lot of material. I wanted to comment specifically on the injector depressions pre-port divider. They are now very nicely rounded out and transitioned smoothly into the ports. This is where I noticed a significant amount of material removal, far more than I did. Looks pretty yummy can't wait to see the numbers from the flow bench.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:35 AM
For hand porting you did a fantastic job.

M2's heads are CNC'd so it would be hard to compete with that.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:56 AM
ammfab wrote:. the car made 296 whp at 9.5 lbs on the stock engine so now that we are increasing its volumetric efficiency im hoping new numbers at 10lbs can be in the area of 350-360 whp, and thats just a wild guess on my behalf so if im off and u think it may differ by all means let me know.
Let me start off by saying the head work looks pretty good! As for the quote above, Those numbers seem a little bogus. What are turbo specs? What dyno? Do you have a graph (with boost ref line tapped/recorded) to support this?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:58 AM
i dont get all intimidated by cnc port work, the work its self nothing special, its a production thing. hell if i had enough demand for some of my porting i would send one of my heads out to get digitized for a cnc program. only thing i dont like about that is its not me doing the work its a machine, and id have to go through a 3rd party u know.

yeah i looked at all the coolant passages in the head before i started cutting. the mitsu 4g63's have the water jacket in the exhaust divider also, i was hinted to that after seeing how thick the divider was. too bad i couldnt get any good pics of the intake like i did the exhaust the lighting was either too much or not enough. ill try and take some more after i get the machine work done.

mike

Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:02 AM
QWK LN2 (needs an @ss whoopin) wrote:
ammfab wrote:. the car made 296 whp at 9.5 lbs on the stock engine so now that we are increasing its volumetric efficiency im hoping new numbers at 10lbs can be in the area of 350-360 whp, and thats just a wild guess on my behalf so if im off and u think it may differ by all means let me know.
Let me start off by saying the head work looks pretty good! As for the quote above, Those numbers seem a little bogus. What are turbo specs? What dyno? Do you have a graph (with boost ref line tapped/recorded) to support this?

turbo was a 60 trim with a .63 hotside, dyno was a dyno jet 224 or 248 i dont remember which.............. and ive never got around to seeing the graphs, maybe aaron can chime in on this one cause its his car and hes the one that took it to get dynoed. that being said whats wrong with the numbers?

mike

Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:27 AM
ammfab wrote:

turbo was a 60 trim with a .63 hotside, dyno was a dyno jet 224 or 248 i dont remember which.............. and ive never got around to seeing the graphs, maybe aaron can chime in on this one cause its his car and hes the one that took it to get dynoed. that being said whats wrong with the numbers?
mike
They seem a little inflated for that amount of boost on that turbo, especially on a stock engine. It just seems odd that there are a bunch of similar vehicles on here with same or similar setups, and some with different turbos that are more in their efficiency range at that boost level, and nobody else is close to putting those types of numbers down with that little of boost. If those are in fact what the dyno plotted, they have some serious issues with the loading parameters and weather station info...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:10 AM
thats about what mine looks like too.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:40 AM
ammfab wrote:

mike
They seem a little inflated for that amount of boost on that turbo, especially on a stock engine. It just seems odd that there are a bunch of similar vehicles on here with same or similar setups, and some with different turbos that are more in their efficiency range at that boost level, and nobody else is close to putting those types of numbers down with that little of boost. If those are in fact what the dyno plotted, they have some serious issues with the loading parameters and weather station info...

Have you actually seem my turbo setup? It is a one off turbo setup so i assure you that nobody has the "same" setup... I'm sorry that you feel that way dude, but I haven't see anyone else running an equal length tubular turbo manifold, 44mm wastegate, and a massive intake manifold w/ velocity stacks on a stock engine... I assure you that those numbers are NOT inflated... I find it actually ironic because I was running rich on the dyno LMFAO... I would have easily thrown down over 315whp @ 9.5psi... and I didn't need the boost logged because I run a digital gauge in the car... I was more curious about the AFR's @6300-6400rpm... more or less diagnosing the fuel pressure problem... I can make it worse by saying it was off of a GM supercharger reflash and 91oct lol... it is what it is...

Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:25 AM
BlueBoost (Itsjustacavalier) wrote:

Have you actually seem my turbo setup? It is a one off turbo setup so i assure you that nobody has the "same" setup... I'm sorry that you feel that way dude, but I haven't see anyone else running an equal length tubular turbo manifold, 44mm wastegate, and a massive intake manifold w/ velocity stacks on a stock engine... I assure you that those numbers are NOT inflated... I find it actually ironic because I was running rich on the dyno LMFAO... I would have easily thrown down over 315whp @ 9.5psi... and I didn't need the boost logged because I run a digital gauge in the car... I was more curious about the AFR's @6300-6400rpm... more or less diagnosing the fuel pressure problem... I can make it worse by saying it was off of a GM supercharger reflash and 91oct lol... it is what it is...
And I'm still going to call BULLSH!T until I see actual proof... I believe you made those numbers, but at a higher boost level than 9.5 psi...

EDIT: Just looked at your profile... I thought this was on a "stock" engine..... Your profile states otherwise... (I do dig the pics/setup BTW. Looks good!)
Quote:

BlueBoost ItsJustaCavalier [F.A.S.T.]
(itsjustacavalier)
Last Update: Monday, May 17, 2010

Email: itsjustacavalier@yahoo.com

Private Message
Add to Friends

Profile Cars Forum

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier
About This Vehicle:

112mph 1/4mi trap speed on stock internals... Now has forged internals and a ported head... The car weighs in at 2400lbs (full tank of gas)
Body Style: Coupe
Color: Blue / Black
Engine: 2.2l Ecotec (L61)
Transmission: Manual
Interior: No Interior / Black
Purchase Date: n/a
Purchased From: n/a
Build Date: ongoing

Quarter Mile Timeslips:
10:00 PM - 01/Jan/09 - Speedworld AZ (13.410@111.8)

Manufacturer Options

Ls Sport Coupe

MODIFICATIONS

Engine:

-ENGINE-
Wiseco 8.9:1 86.5mm
Eagle rods
ARP Head and Main studs
AMMfab Head Port & Polish
AMMfab intake manifold
ZZP Valve Springs
Comp Cams (turbo)
Cometic MLS Head gasket .040"
RKSport UD Pulley
65mm Throttle Body
Custom Grounding Kit
Beryllium Copper Spark Plug Springs
Champion copper REC10YC4 spark plugs
Royal Purple 10w-30

-FUEL-
Aeromotive FPR
Walbro 255 fuel pump x 2 (in tank and external)
60lb Siemens injectors

-EXHAUST-
Custom 3" Mandrel bent exhaust system (Black)
Magnaflow 18x5 round muffler
Apexi N-1 Turbo Muffler (Black)
Open Dump 1 7/8"

-TURBO-
AMMfab Med Length Tubular Turbo Manifold (top mount)
AMMfab 2.5" Hot piping
AMMfab 3" Cold piping
AMMfab 3" stainless downpipe
AMMfab Intake w/ K&N Filter
AGP Zeta 3.0 turbocharger
TiAL 44mm wastegate (.25 bar Spring)
TiAL Q BOV
TurboXS Dual stage BC
800hp FMIC (4.5" thick)

-TRANSMISSION-
Stock F23
Stock Diff
Stock clutch
Ebay short shifter

-MOUNTS-
RKSport upper engine mount
RKSport lower engine mount
Prothane Trans mounts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes:

-SUSPENSION-
Ksport Springs
Front and Rear strut tower braces
Control Arm Bushings

-WHEEL & TIRE-
17x9" Drifz wheels (black w/ chrome lip)
255/40/R17 Sumitomo Tires
ARP Camaro wheel studs
Forged Lug nuts

-BRAKES-
Drilled/Slotted Rotors
Hawk Performance pads
Interior:

Fully gutted
Removed A/C unit
Removed Dash
Removed Headliner
Removed ALL carpeting
Removed ALL interior panels
Removed Center Console
Removed Stereo head unit and speakers
Removed Front Crush Support
Removed Rear Crush Support
Removed jack and spare tire
Removed Rear speaker molding
Sheet Metal spare tire well
Tenzo-R Turismo steering wheel (black)
NRG Quick release hub v2.0 (black/cf)
NRG Carbon front racing seats (black)
Razo 340 shift knob (Black)
Custom LED lighting (white)
Autometer 5" tach
Custom blue LED shift light
AEM UEGO
AEM Tru-Boost
Exterior:

2-tone paint (blue body black top)
CF Hood (OEM)
Smoked tails
Rear Bowtie Removed
Bumpers cut out
FMIC painted black
black Moroso kill-switch at trunk key hole
Tint- double limo rear/ 15% front
Audio:

No Stereo
Miscellaneous:

HID's- 8000k headlights Hi/Lo
Short Shifter
Summit Battery Relocation
108 oct. Torco Race Fuel or Torco accelerator
Removed Cruise Control Unit
Dynoed 278whp on 7.5 psi w/ 91 oct.
Dynoed 296whp on 9.5 psi w/ 91 oct. 10.8:1 Afr
Future:

Lexan glass kit
Jeg's 8pt roll cage
spec stg III+ clutch
Big Stuff 3 stand alone
AEM Meth kit
Wilwood Brake conversions
koni yellows
eibach sway bars

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:38 PM
ammfab wrote:well im back with the newest addition to blueboost's car. well actually lets get u guys up to date on things first . well the old head cracked in the combo chambers and was pushing coolant into the exhaust so the engine got pulled out and tore down. nows the chance to upgrade so we did. its getting a built bottom end, cams (and springs), head work, turbo, clutch, flywheel, lsd, new bearings etc. the car made 296 whp at 9.5 lbs on the stock engine so now that we are increasing its volumetric efficiency im hoping new numbers at 10lbs can be in the area of 350-360 whp, and thats just a wild guess on my behalf so if im off and u think it may differ by all means let me know.

so ive been porting heads for 6 years now mainly dealing with neons and dsm's but its time to open new doors and the ecotec is one of the ones chosen. anyways so he had an extra head (lost foam cast) so i said let me see it and ill work some magic. this head was not easy to port for a few reasons....... 1, my carbides were dull and this lost foam stuff is hard! 2, the intake ports are so damn long that its hard to be steady while getting all the way up in there but in the end the final product is amazing. now i dont have numbers yet but i will get them for sure. im guesstimating upwards of 300cfm on the intake side (that may be pushing it a little) and i hope to see at least 200cfm on the exhaust side. its at the machine shop right now getting the valve job and resurface before it goes to the flow bench. anyways im at work right now so in a few hours ill get home and throw a few pics up, ill take alot more once i get the machine work done. oh and this is getting +1 intake and exhaust valves in case anybody was wondering.

mike

Now if you actually READ the post and not just focused on everything else you would understand my updated info on my car... there is a thread on the turbo setup on my car... just go read that dude...

Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:47 PM
...I'm sorry that you don't believe me... but it is what it is... and i cannot redyno what you want anymore.... as i am no longer "stock" so the numbers will be completely higher... but i can tell you that i am aiming for 450whp on 18psi this next time... on a 59ish trim turbo... but if you really really want... you can call Keith at AZ DYNO CHIP 1-480-496-8800 ...I mean he was really the only 3rd party person that saw the car run and it's his dyno... but again... the boost wasn't logged... just look at how low the torque was... with higher boost that torque number would have been WAAAAY higher... I have no need to lie... What I say is legit...

Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:14 PM
i guess i would have expected faster out of it for whats all done... driver error maybe?

Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:16 PM
^^^ hell Vince I say that to everyone...

Everybody has more mods than me....

Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:45 PM
blackbirdracing wrote:^^^ hell Vince I say that to everyone...

Everybody has more mods than me....

haha i can see your point. i mean anyone can type out a LONG mod list. but 13.4 @ 111 on stock motor, in a somehow 2400lb car... must be driver error.

mine is fully normal trim is 2680 w/o me in it... and the 1/4 time is just interesting in itself.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:41 PM
BlueBoost (Itsjustacavalier) wrote:
ammfab wrote:well im back with the newest addition to blueboost's car. well actually lets get u guys up to date on things first . well the old head cracked in the combo chambers and was pushing coolant into the exhaust so the engine got pulled out and tore down. nows the chance to upgrade so we did. its getting a built bottom end, cams (and springs), head work, turbo, clutch, flywheel, lsd, new bearings etc. the car made 296 whp at 9.5 lbs on the stock engine so now that we are increasing its volumetric efficiency im hoping new numbers at 10lbs can be in the area of 350-360 whp, and thats just a wild guess on my behalf so if im off and u think it may differ by all means let me know.

mike

Now if you actually READ the post and not just focused on everything else you would understand my updated info on my car... there is a thread on the turbo setup on my car... just go read that dude...
I did "READ" the the whole post. Your Profile states its fully built, but that was last updated back on May 17th, so roughly 3 months ago. What the OP posted, it sounds like you are just now building or are finishing the build. The timelines just didn't match up. I'm not hating, I definitly dig the setup, I just don't believe those numbers on a stock engine with the specific turbo mentioned at the boost level and AFR... Its just not realistic. I have been doing this WAY too long and know better.... I do look forward to future higher numbers in its current form. Maybe one day we can line em up!

Also, post a link to your build. I'm too busy working on a tune to look for it......

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:08 PM
sssiiiiggghhhh.... wow i almost forgot why i stopped getting on JBO... I could swear you were all baffled before about the 112mph trap on stock internals...

Well i understand that you don't THINK it can happen... but i assure you that it most definitely did... it also says 72.87*F degrees on the sheet... if you have been doing this for too long... then you would know that if i had more boost then the tq # would be much larger than it is dude... max power is at 6400rpm max tq at 6100rpm ...tq holds mostly even all the way to redline... that just shows that there was outstanding flow going through the setup... ill just make sure i keep everything logged on the dyno when i get retuned... but just to prove how much power it makes... ill redyno my car at 9.5psi with the built engine... then you can see the difference... i mean i'm guessing to hit 350whp on 9.5psi from the cams and head port... if i only hit 300whp then i must have been lying... there would be no reason not to hit that much power right??

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search