aaron's (aka blueboost) new AMMFAB turbo setup is done! - Boost Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
aaron's (aka blueboost) new AMMFAB turbo setup is done!
Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:32 PM
well i, or shall i say we finished it last weekend to the point where it was drivable. we put together a ball and spring boost controller from home home depot to help it from over boosting which i woulnt recomend one of those even if u are cheap cause it wasnt holding boost very well at all unless i would slowly ease into the pedal and then it would still creep some. anyways we were waint for the turbo smart dual stage BC to come in which it did yesterday and we installed it. i also made the catch can and fixed an oil leak from the oil drain on the turbo (that was my bad). anyways the cars all put together now and here are the details........

AMMFAB built parts.............

tubular topmount turbo manifold withe external tial 44mm WG (back purged)
short runner turbo intake manifold
3" down pipe (back purged)
single piece boost piping on hot and cold side
intake piping
oil catch can
coolant coolant resevoir
oh and porting on the intake side of the head.

its currently running a t3t4 60 trim with a .63 hotside on about 8.5 lbs of boost

now unfortunately i dont have pics of the old pieced together kit but the best way to describe it was" janky"........ (i dont even know if thats how u spell it but owell). it had a log manifold that was all rusted and mig welded together with a bad flange to runner transition. from there it had a muffler shop fabed mig weld (really badly welded at that) 2.5 inch down pipe and not so greatly pieced together boost piping. i can honestly say that the car pulls as hard as it did at about 7 lbs of boost now compared to the 10 we had it at before. now it'll be driven around for the time being while i get some other stuff out of the way and then comes the built motor and tuning for the big power we plan on making, which will be over 500 whp.

oh and last but not least there were some draw backs to this........................ no more ac or heat, since this is basically a race car i got the ok from aaron to removed the whole ac system and heter lines going to the cab which gave me way more leway in building this setup. i could have done it with all it installed it just would have abeen a little more complex on some of the routing and install.

now on with the pics...........................

i make neons go fast.........

Re: aaron's (aka blueboost) new AMMFAB turbo setup is done!
Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:52 PM
...what a piece of sh!t.... my blind... and semi-retarded.... and paralyzed.............. and now dead grandma can do a better job... GARBAGE!!! lol jfwy... I think it looks even better in person...... I cant wait to get that motor built and give this setup some real boost..... THANKS MIKE!!! Could not have done it without YOU!!!

...I am the BEST at what I do...
"I guess your right[BlueBoost]. Me and my slow car are failers."

Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:09 PM
looks really good, and damn didnt realize you could fit 9" wide wheels on a cav.

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:26 PM
mmmmmMM that looks awesome. cant wait to see more

Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:32 PM
to go along with what brandon said about the 9"ers, what offset are you running on those wheels?

Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:06 PM
welds could be a bit better but hey im sure it'll happen with time.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:10 PM
Tinkles wrote:welds could be a bit better but hey im sure it'll happen with time.

Senseless/childish contribution.

Damn I love this car! Amazing work man, props .

Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:40 PM
Tinkles wrote:welds could be a bit better but hey im sure it'll happen with time.

dont start a pissing match or i can point out some details about that header like how u said that it was purged when it clearly looks like sugar coming through on the head flange to tube welds when if it was purged it would be there now would it?

mike

Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:03 PM
looks good

Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:29 PM
That looks absolutely amazing. Gotta hand it to ya man, you do some amzing work.

I only wish this was an ld9 all this was being done to

Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:05 PM
Looks really clean. i bet its fun to get the charge pipes off if you had to.

my $12 ace hardward boost controller worked GREAT! did you drill a TINY hole in it so it can bleed off? otherwise mine was flawless. held 13psi and never over or underboosted.

Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:09 PM
for Tink... I inspect aerospace welds all day everyday at work, and i am involved in certifying welders... (Stainless, mild, aluminum, magnesium, titanium, hasteloy, inconell... ...stainless is not particularly easy to weld a consistent steady bead, yet Mike has the touch and makes it look easy.... Mike's welds would pass any and all inspections required for certification... if we were hiring welders, I would get him a job in a heartbeat... 0 L.O.F. / 0 porosity / 0 Crater cracks / Perfect penetration / consistent even bead and with amazing speed... and believe me... working side by side with Mike on this project was a complete pleasure...Now Mike may not be the greatest welder that i have seen... but he is hands down the best fabricator that i have seen, or seen work from... Clearly, his work demands respect...

Thanks guys!! in a couple months we will have some more pictures up and dyno charts with the new engine.... I believe that the offset is 35 or 40 on the rims.

Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:03 PM
not a fan of the lack of interior @!#$, but i guess it works

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:20 PM
now send that hotside and downpipe and manifold off to jethott!!!!! will help spool time and keep underhood temps way down.

Monday, November 23, 2009 2:22 AM
what hood? lol... stainless steel dissipates heat just fine the way it is... and both of the charge pipes are one piece and come out with ease... they were designed that way.... i think when we messed around with the wastegate spring we got the hot side and intake off in about 2mins... if even...

Monday, November 23, 2009 4:03 AM
very nice setup........ any pics of the manifold off the car ?????

and yea same as said above.....wow 9in wide wheels is nuts

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, November 23, 2009 5:15 AM
thanks guys, i got pics on my phone of the mani off the car but i didnt get time to upload them last night, oh and also of the porting work on the intake side.

mike

Monday, November 23, 2009 10:13 AM
Amazing quality, The welds look great IMO. When is the 2200 intake manifolds coming available? J/K Keep up the great work.

Monday, November 23, 2009 10:17 AM
Nice man! Thing is serious!

Monday, November 23, 2009 11:09 AM
Looks great guys. I wonder if you are going to get any chatter with those two charge pipes laying on top of eachother? I love the setup!!!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, November 23, 2009 11:27 AM
there is actually quite a bit of room to push the intake down further if need be... but i didnt hear and noises coming from the engine bay... other than the turbo spooling and wastegate screaming!!! GUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Monday, November 23, 2009 11:38 AM
lol ok good to hear

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, November 23, 2009 12:01 PM
SEXXXY!!!!

Monday, November 23, 2009 12:14 PM
awesome work.

cant wait to hear about some updates!

good luck

Monday, November 23, 2009 1:35 PM
As one TIG welder to another:

Nice weld work. You've paid attention to detail in that department and it shows.

Enjoy the Boost!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search