DIY----Turbo Timer Install (Greddy) - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DIY----Turbo Timer Install (Greddy)
Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:06 PM
Here is exactly how to install your turbo timer weather it be a Greddy Full Auto Timer, Apexi timer, or anything else. This write up is exactly for the Greddy turbo timer but can be also be used as a reference for other timers.

ALL CONNECTIONS SHOULD AND MUST BE SOLDERED FOR A SECURE CONNECTION. DO NOT USE CONNECTORS. AFTER THEY ARE ALL SOLDERED COVER THEM WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE.

With your Greddy Full Auto Timer you should have recieved:
Greddy Full Auto Timer
Greddy Full Auto Timer harness with a red(12 V), blue(Accessory), green(ON), and black wire(Ground).
A Harness with a brown(E-brake feature) and purple wires( Vehicle speed sensor...will not be hooking up).
Some zip ties
Instructions
2 way tape

Step 1.
Remove the harness plug from the end of the harnessby with the red, green, and blue wire. The harness you are going to cut is the WHITE one..NOT THE BLACK END. The black end plugs into the harness coming from the timer. You will be doing this because the wires will need to be spliced into the wiring for you car. We are also doing this because there are no vehicle specific harness's made for us J's. These wires will need to be extended using some wire no smaller than 16 gauge. I extended each wire 2 feet so I knew I would have enough wire then I cut it to length afterwards. It is up to you were you want to mount you timer. I mounted mine directly under the HVAC controls on my bezel. Remember, solder all connections and cover with tape.

Step 2.
Under your dash you will need to trace the ignition harness wires(Yellow,Pink,Orange, and a small black one) to the location in the first picture below.
All the wires you will be splicing into will be larger than all the others as you will see in the picture below.
Splice the GREEN wire from the timer harness to the PINK Ignition wire.
Splice the BLUE wire from the timer harness to the ORANGE Ignition wire.
Take the RED wire and connect it to a 12V power source that gives 12 volts even when the car is off.
Take the BLACK wire and connect it to a good ground. I used the OBD2 harness bolt to do this. You can see this in the second picture below.

Step 3. (Manual Transmission)
In this step you are going to be splicing the brown wire into you Emergency brake harness wire. You will need to remove the center console to do this. After the console is out you will follow the ebrake to the bottom and you will see a small black harness going to the ebrake with a light blue wire. You are going to splice the brown wire into this blue wire. This feature tells the turbo timer to shut off when the ebrake is let off.
(Automatic Transmission)
If you have a automatic transmission you will need to ground the brown wire.

Hide all the wires and turn on your car. Make sure you engage the E- brake when doing so. I have my timer set to P-1 for 1 minute and 20 seconds. Turn off the car and the engine should stay at idle and the timer should begin counting down. When it reaches 0 the car will shut off. If you were to disengage the e-brake the turbo timer shuts off.

Thats it......

Re: DIY----Turbo Timer Install (Greddy)
Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:08 PM
Very nice, few people actually take the time to make other peoples lives easier, nice.
Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:18 PM
wow nice thank you

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Friday, June 16, 2006 12:04 AM
Sticky? Put in FAQ maybe? I dunno helped me out tho THANKS!

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Friday, June 16, 2006 12:32 PM
Stickey Needed for sure. Ill be using this soon.

Check out my Part Out List!! Great Prices !! http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/52925/

Saturday, June 17, 2006 12:15 PM
COO-COO STICKYICKYICKY!

Monday, June 19, 2006 11:12 AM
Thanks for the awsome instuctions, Was thinking about sending it to be installed but not now thanx.

Project Yellow Blur Is Under Way ! ! ! ! !
Monday, June 19, 2006 12:06 PM
def a sticky.... nice write up!

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.33@88.5mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Saturday, February 02, 2008 11:12 PM
Quote:

Take the RED wire and connect it to a 12V power source that gives 12 volts even when the car is off.

Why do you need a power source that's 12v when the car is off? The turbo timer would keep the car running so it would power an accessory wire, wouldn't it?

Sunday, February 03, 2008 1:46 PM
Turbo timer just keeps the engine running for alittle bit longer after you shut it off to help prevent damage to the turbo right? Or am i missing somthing important? If thats the case then just then just wait a minute before you shut the car off and save the money

Sunday, February 03, 2008 2:08 PM
Yeah, but not everyone wants to sit in their car for 5 minutes waiting for the car to cool down every time they drive it.

Sunday, February 03, 2008 2:17 PM
Tinkles wrote:Turbo timer just keeps the engine running for alittle bit longer after you shut it off to help prevent damage to the turbo right? Or am i missing somthing important? If thats the case then just then just wait a minute before you shut the car off and save the money

a turbo timer keeps the engine running to cool the WHOLE system, not just the turbo itself. It cools the whole temerature down so that oil isnt puddled up in the turbo and also that an insanely hot turbo isnt sitting there baking from the heat.

Sunday, February 03, 2008 4:15 PM
ok, so it just keeps the engine running. I dont see the benifit to them when you can just do it yourself. Oh well thats my view.

Sunday, February 03, 2008 4:53 PM
Tinkles wrote:ok, so it just keeps the engine running. I dont see the benifit to them when you can just do it yourself. Oh well thats my view.

ill give a few situations...
N/A
im on a fire department, i drive my car to the station. when i get a call, my pager goes off, i run out to my car, drive in quickly, a good 5-10 minute drive depending on traffic. somewhat agressive. i get there, get out of my car and run to the rack to grab my gear usually as the truck pulls out of the bay. i make truck or ambulance.
Turbo w/o turbo timer
same thing, on the FD, Drive agressive to the FD, get there, but oh wait, my car is hot from driving to the station, i pull in sit there for a minute or 2 as the truck leaves the station to the scene, sitting there and waiting, and waiting and waiting, ok ill shut my car off now, run in to the rack grab my gear, oh wait the truck is gone because i waited for my car to cool down.
Turbo w/ turbo timer
same story, except this time, i get there, get out take my keys with me, car is running, i grab my gear, hop on the truck and make the call....

its so i dont have to sit there and wait for it to cool down. Do you HAVE to have one? no, there are people like you who will sit and wait for it to cool. If you have the turbo timer you can get out, walk away and let it cool itself down instead of sitting there waiting for it.

Sunday, February 03, 2008 6:24 PM
I wasnt thinking about emergancy situations like that Vince. I do have the time to sit and let it cool down.

Sunday, February 03, 2008 6:39 PM
im sure you would get tired of sitting there for 2-3 minutes for it to cool every time, i know i would.

Sunday, February 03, 2008 7:08 PM
I know I got sick of it. Especially when I was running late on my way to work or school or wherever.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Sunday, February 03, 2008 7:08 PM
I got tired of it after about 2 days, lol.

Monday, February 04, 2008 3:27 AM
I'm impatient to a fault, so a Turbo timer is a must for me.

Monday, February 04, 2008 1:31 PM
2-3 minutes?

Try 5-8 minutes after highway driving or any periods of extended turbo use.

You get tired of it really... REALLY fast.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, February 04, 2008 1:36 PM
5-8 minutes of highway driving.....why?

Monday, February 04, 2008 1:42 PM
your sustaining lot more heat in the system so everything is consitantly hotter under the hood. the longer it sits and idles, the more it will cool off.

Monday, February 04, 2008 2:33 PM
Damn I didnt think these were soo important. i knew they were usefull, but I never thought about it. Im always rushing to get to work and what not and then have to hop out right away, so I guess Ill be looking for one soon haha.

Monday, October 06, 2008 6:44 PM
back from the dead. thanks a ton! worked perfectly!

Monday, October 06, 2008 7:14 PM
Quick question, what if you leave your car in gear when you leave your car parked? Are you out of luck?

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search