Catch Can Pics - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Catch Can Pics
Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:12 PM
I just did a quick search and I didn't seem to come up with many hits. I am planning on doing a little more in depth searching tomorrow but just thought I would post up and see if anyone has some pictures of a catch can on their LD9. I'm debating on running one in the spring and just wanted to see what others have.

Re: Catch Can Pics
Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:21 PM
not ld9 but... its where mine is and what it is

can see where its mounted here... bottom of the pic.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:24 PM
I'm interested too,might run one on my saab setup ecotec. Listening.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:27 PM
Any boosted motor should have one. I have one, but can't really get pictures of it. I also plan to update mine in the near future.

FU Tuning

Sunday, January 23, 2011 5:02 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:Any boosted motor should have one. I have one, but can't really get pictures of it. I also plan to update mine in the near future.
this, and vince that is a gorgeous engine bay

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Sunday, January 23, 2011 6:20 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:Any boosted motor should have one. I have one, but can't really get pictures of it. I also plan to update mine in the near future.

Even some pics of where you have it hooked up would be appreciative. Just trying to see what it all entails, new to the idea of a catch can so just trying to get informed before I start buying parts.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 6:23 PM
I was just going to do an Ebay catch can, I've heard of other running them no problem, rather than jumping into $50-100+ ones.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 7:24 PM
Here is a couple pictrues from when I first installed it.

The can is zip tied to the metal tube going to the brake booster. I wanted it out of the way. I have a line coming off the PCV baffle on the block going to the can, then a line going to the intake. I'm also running the M45 charger.

I did a ebay can, and I did notice a difference in oil consumption after running the can, but have yet had any oil in it. I do not have any oil build up in the intake, or TB, but debating on going to a better can.

FU Tuning

Sunday, January 23, 2011 7:56 PM
I have seen that with another ebay catch can, I wonder where its going... I also noticed you don't have the vent tube on the timing cover plumb to the catch can. Do you have something for that or is it tied in with the pvc vent under the intake?

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Sunday, January 23, 2011 8:36 PM
Fluffy wrote:I have seen that with another ebay catch can, I wonder where its going... I also noticed you don't have the vent tube on the timing cover plumb to the catch can. Do you have something for that or is it tied in with the pvc vent under the intake?

Vent tube on timing chain housing is connected like factory. Going into the block, then other hose going to this catch can, and then to the intake.

FU Tuning

Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:15 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:
Fluffy wrote:I have seen that with another ebay catch can, I wonder where its going... I also noticed you don't have the vent tube on the timing cover plumb to the catch can. Do you have something for that or is it tied in with the pvc vent under the intake?

Vent tube on timing chain housing is connected like factory. Going into the block, then other hose going to this catch can, and then to the intake.
ahhh ok, I couldn't remember how the ld9 setup was.

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Monday, January 24, 2011 7:35 AM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:Here is a couple pictrues from when I first installed it.

The can is zip tied to the metal tube going to the brake booster. I wanted it out of the way. I have a line coming off the PCV baffle on the block going to the can, then a line going to the intake. I'm also running the M45 charger.

I did a ebay can, and I did notice a difference in oil consumption after running the can, but have yet had any oil in it. I do not have any oil build up in the intake, or TB, but debating on going to a better can.

You have any pics how the line is hooked up to the PCV baffle? Not really sure where to tap into the motor. I'm gonna look around and see where I can pick up a can. I'm assuming you can buy a complete kit with everything you need to set one up.

Monday, January 24, 2011 10:25 AM
I did mine the same as BuiltNBoosted

And here is how I tapped the baffle for the catch can line.

You can see the copper nipple on the baffle. Sorry thats the best pic of it I can find

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Monday, January 24, 2011 11:38 AM
Kinda looks like it may be difficult to do it with the motor in the car. Have to see what they guy can do thats working on my car.

Monday, January 24, 2011 12:19 PM
onecleancavy wrote:I did mine the same as BuiltNBoosted

And here is how I tapped the baffle for the catch can line.

You can see the copper nipple on the baffle. Sorry thats the best pic of it I can find

Same

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, January 24, 2011 2:25 PM
Matthew Jollymore wrote:
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:Here is a couple pictrues from when I first installed it.

You have any pics how the line is hooked up to the PCV baffle? Not really sure where to tap into the motor. I'm gonna look around and see where I can pick up a can. I'm assuming you can buy a complete kit with everything you need to set one up.

No, because it hooks to the PCV baffle just like stock. I did not need to tap the baffle because I'm running the GM M45 kit. The PCV system is made to work with it. I just added the can.

FU Tuning

Monday, January 24, 2011 3:02 PM
So I guess my next question is if this can be setup with the motor in the car or does it need to come out? So I'm guessing most of you have a drain in the bottom of the catch to go back in. I see a few cans that are for sale have no drain on the bottom which I would think would fill up pretty fast, especially running a lot of boost.

Monday, January 24, 2011 4:04 PM
This can be done in the car no problem. I would not drain it back into the motor. Mine has a drain at the bottem.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:21 AM
No intention to thread jack but figured this would be easier than starting a new thread.
When running a catch can, run one line from the pcv on the head to the can, then other line from can to pcv on turbo and thats that?

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:12 PM
SLOCAV wrote:No intention to thread jack but figured this would be easier than starting a new thread.
When running a catch can, run one line from the pcv on the head to the can, then other line from can to pcv on turbo and thats that?

mine is one from the pcv on the head, one from the valve cover breather, and the other to the turbo intake.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:14 PM
wanna wake this one up...not a lot of good info out there as far as pictures showing actual setup and I think if theres a good catch-can/tank thread with pics and explanations, its better than opening up tons of useless ones.
I have a supercharged ecotec. Right now just a breather filter coming off the PCV on the valve cover. It is getting oil all over the valve cover.

Is this how mine would hook up, or do i go into the intake some where (would the tb work? i have an extra small nipple on the throttle body that you cant see by the steering fluid reservoir)

This is how everything is setup in my engine bay right now (pic is about 2 months old, but its almost identical).
Would the PCV go from the valve cover to the can, then vent to atmosphere like in this pic? The cans Im looking at are a lot cheaper and i dont think they're baffled, but its better than coming straight out the filter and onto my engine...

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:53 PM
You need to take the other tube (orange one) to the intake system, pre-blower.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:58 PM
is the throttle body okay? i have a smaller nozzle thats between the power steering reservoir (see the cap) and the tb, but its a bit smaller. I could use a coupler to reduce the hose to that. or does it need to be further back on the intake somewhere?

btw...that couldnt have any effect on my boost levels only hitting 8lbs max would it? by having that PCV vent to atmosphere?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:59 PM

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:59 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:You need to take the other tube (orange one) to the intake system, pre-blower.

What he said....you also want a baffled can without a filter or vent to atmosphere.
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:03 PM
so this one without a baffle is no bueno?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search