Lnf turbo swap on l61...build - Page 4 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Lnf turbo swap on l61...build
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:19 PM
and a longer lower radiator hose

Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:35 AM
Just to bring this post back haha ive had both the saab and lnf and theres no comparison... the lnf is so much more efficient with both heat and power.. its also cheaper to use this settup if you get the housing off the turbo.. i made my downpipe 3 " for under $100 one siple bend and it was done... i keep seing alot of posts about the saab and people still doing that swap i just figured id suggest this settup... not sure if snowman gets on here anymore but he helped me with info when i installed the settup and id be willing to do the same... also i have acess to mongorat from cobaltss.net so getting lnf parts it ussually simple... my lnf settup will be up for sale sokn since im building...
Monday, February 18, 2013 8:43 AM
yeap, still around and still have the lnf setup. its developed a weird tick but other than that still going strong around 15 psi.

heres the most current pic

Monday, February 18, 2013 10:50 AM
Hey snowman just wanted to add thats a nice little setup. I plan doing somthing similar when i find the time and money with my 2.2 eco Saturn lseries. My options are limited with lnf head except with ebay. I can readily get someons lsj head for under 200$. It still has to either undergo a bcm/pcm/ setup or a

One question i had- You had previously posted your turbo setup pics in 2012. any chance you can post them again with your cooling system photos you took on page 3. ?
Monday, February 18, 2013 12:11 PM
You cant use the lnf head on a 2.2 the lnf is direct injected...
Monday, February 18, 2013 12:14 PM
Snowman whats ticking? I have a head tick now as well.. are you hp tuned? I only got to about 9 psi due to my tune... i would love to feel that thing on 15 psi i bet it pulls like crazy bottom end... i never got to run on dr tires was hoping for that 12.99999
Monday, February 18, 2013 1:26 PM
yeap its a no go on the lnf head.

as for the ticking i think its the wastegate, the LNF has a vacuum canister inline from the manifold to the wastegate, it sounds almost like its just flapping(not enough vacuum to keep it closed tight), because our engines dont make enough vacuum, so the wastegate might tick, kinda sounds like an exhaust leak, but it goes away with no load at idle and under WOT.

its semi tuned right not on the 2 bar computer for the quad 4. I have to work on the idle a little bit, i have the low rpm pretty dialed in, and havent had a chance to do the high rpm. I am learning as a go, but the last bit of data i got had all 0's for afr error up to 4500 rpm under ve tunning.

15 is fun, ive only hit it a couple times, but if your not careful it will spike over 30 ; - /
Once its dialed in i will post vids, but i still have a ways to go.
Monday, February 18, 2013 3:10 PM
wow. I guess I am confused. I thought this thread was the head swap on the l61 eco.

Damn I did just look at the tech info... Well isnt this thread related to mating a LNF head on the 2.2 with minor modifcations? Sorry if I am not understanding this, but the pics from photobucket are history- so I am a little lost.
Monday, February 18, 2013 3:25 PM
your on the right track, lol the head is a 2.2 eco with the turbo manifold off a lnf head, the bolt pattern is the same on all eco heads, 2.2 2.4 and 2.0. the head doesnt change, just the exhaust manifold, the intake manifold isnt swapable though, just the exhaust. and you gotta change the thermostat housing

as for all the pics they are all located at the bottom of page 3, i just reattched them there, sometime ago.

any question just let me of ecotecnik know, i pointed him in the right direction.
Monday, February 18, 2013 3:42 PM
Ah, I see
hey snowman thanks for your reply to clear. Ill take alook at the pics now for some reference.
Again thanks,
Monday, February 18, 2013 5:40 PM
If you want a head swap just get an lsj head... i just went through the head swap stuff myself... the lnf head would never work for multiple reasons...1. Its direct injected 2. Its got variable valve timing. 3. The lnf has a cam driven fuel pump. Not that that matters with fitment.... it would be nice if it did tho...

Monday, February 18, 2013 5:42 PM
I have an ebc with overboost so i wouldnt worry much about spiking... ill get it to 15 psi before i sell it haha
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:44 AM
Solved the tick problem, added a vacuum canister between the manifold and wastegate.(with the sheet metal manifold, it wasn't "storing" enough vacuum) It helps out a lot in low end drive-ability too. Boost doesn't come in until later in the rpm range 2500-3k, And it feels stronger too. Got new tires and a full tank of gas, now for the weekend so i can start logging and tuning.
Saturday, June 15, 2013 9:46 PM
snow man can you re host all the pics from the 1st page? I just picked up my lnf turbo set up and im trying to figure out where you hook up all the lines the coolant lines and oil,, also where can I buy the lnf water pipe and thermostat housing from?
Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:49 PM
no one knows how to route the lines? oil and coolant? also would a ss/tc catless downpipe would work with this on a cavalier?
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:25 PM
They are re hosted on the 2nd or third page.

You have to drill a hole in the block, same spot as the Saab for the oil drain.
The oil feed is one of the three ports on the back, attach the stock feed before you put the manifold on.

I'm not running the cooling lines for the turbo, if you want to then you WILL need the thermostat housing from ss/tc as well as the crossover pipe. With the new thermostat housing you will need a longer radiator hose, I opted for one off a le5 cobalt fits like a glove.

Exhaust can go 2 ways

You can get the 90 elbow I offered you and then have a shop or yourself fab up the remaining bit.

Or all custom from the turbo back.
Either way will make for tight clearances for the heater core lines.
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:00 PM
The kit I got cane with the elbow you offered me,ok so if I don't run coolant lines I just need a le5 thermostat housing, and which crossover pipe? Where can I find the flange if I decide to go custom down pipe ? And where exactly do I get the feed? From the 3 Allen screws on the back of the head?
Friday, June 21, 2013 2:09 PM
The crossover pipe NEEDS to be off a LNF if not it will not clear the turbo when mounted. The le5 is the actual radiator hose that you need, all other thermostat housings are the same except the LNF cars. I think ,ones off a 2.2

Make sure you have something to tune it with as you could blow the engine easily with this turbo
Also the refashioned for the ecotec doesn't get along with this setup.
Friday, June 21, 2013 5:49 PM
Gotcha , tomorrow ill pick up the LNF water pipe and le5 radiator hose, yeah the custom fab shop that's gonna make my dp also tunes hptuners , I don't think they have tuned a jbody but they tune a lot on hp for camaros and such

Anything special that I my need to make the stock LNF turbo oil line bolt up to me head to get the feed?

Also can the stock LNF turbo be clocked?
Friday, June 21, 2013 10:06 PM
The stock oil line should have a banjo bolt and 2 washers that screws into the BLOCK for the oil feed

And nope no clocking of the turbo
Saturday, June 22, 2013 4:29 PM
What do you tune with snowman?

Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:42 PM
I have hptuners but I'm not the best with it, I'm also using 2000-2002 supercharged computer and wiring, it's not my daily so it still needs a lot of work, one day ill haven't tuned but for now it just sits and goes around the block lol
Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:57 PM
so on my car would I be fine with stock 04 computer and hptuners? ... im not tuning it, ill have a shop tune it, I don't think they have tuned a j body but they deal alor with hptuners for v8's
Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:21 PM
Well hpt for ls1 cars has way way more editable tables compared to our cars. They might not he able to do ot. Many people have had issues just going to a know v8 shop. Plus your ecu is alpha n based.

Sunday, June 23, 2013 8:03 PM
well its not a strictly v8 shop, they tune dsp for srt4's/v8's..hondata,neptune,chrome,aem,motec,megasquirt etc pretty much anything lol...what does it mean if my ecu is a alpha n based?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search