Boosted 2200 Build - Page 14 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Boosted 2200 Build
Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:56 AM
A little bit a fuel huh...

Looks great so far man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Saturday, November 23, 2013 6:46 PM
Update time!
I was able to find out why the fuel pump was cutting off. The flame actually burnt up a nice section of the fuel pump harness off the top of the tank. I dropped the tank and will get this fixed. I was also able to get the fuel pressure gauge to fit with a 45 degree fitting. I ordered th rest of the exhaust and some v band clamps so the exhaust will be ran out the back in the stock location. The last issue I have to solve is the charge pipes. I have the clamps on them now but I would like to have them welded for a secure fit. Hopefully this issues will allow me to go ahead with tuning. Below are some pictures of the fuel pump harness and a better shot of the evap tube and gas tank.

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d
Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:48 AM
Wow never seen that before. Crazy.

FU Tuning

Sunday, November 24, 2013 7:53 AM
OMG boosted 2.2 sedan DROOOOL
Sunday, November 24, 2013 1:31 PM
Cant wait to see this thing on the road. 2200 needs more people backing it with serious builds like this.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, November 24, 2013 3:36 PM
I was glad to have found the problem, but it could have ended real bad. Im glad there was a fuse in the racetronix harness. Its hard to see in the pictures but the feed tube from the tank was completely melted and blocked off. I was able to replace the tube and will try and locate a replacement harness this week. Hopefully have the tank with new wiring and tube back in this friday or weekend. Waiting on the exhaust and then hopefully all flames will be out the back.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:42 PM
Update Time guys.

I was able to repair the burnt up fuel harness. Advance auto sells pigtails which i was able to solder splice together, re loom and its like it never happened. I got the tank all cleaned up and ready to go back in. The bigger news is that the pre bent exhaust showed up today from mandrel bent exhaust systems. This kit looks great. All stainless, mandrel bent so the tube is not crushed at the bend points. Came with all flanges, hardware and even hangers, however they were not welded to the pipe. I was able to hold it up under the car and it seems to fit very nice. I have to put the tank back in before I can finish mocking up the exhaust, but it will all be welded together. I plan to cut out the cat as well when I remove the front section of the exhaust. I plan to run full straight pipe from the turbo all the way out the back of the car. nothing in between. I also received some V-Band clamps for a nice connection between pipes. More updates to come.

Exhaust Kit:

V-Band:

Exhaust vs. my old Megan Catback:

Fitment:

Front Section I had fab together:

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:20 PM
Damn man, everything looks great. It is so nice to see someone who really cares and wants to do things right the first time. Well done man, you are a great inspiration for other people who think spending time and money on the car you love or already have, or may just want to play around with and have fun with it. Hope it all continues to go well (no more oops or fires) and i know i am just as excited as others to see a good dyno run on video. Good luck with it as you continue on.
Friday, November 29, 2013 9:39 PM
Thanks for the comment TJ. Its been a long road getting here but everything is coming together nice. A few bumps along the way but they didnt steer me off track. I have spent lots of time and money on this car because its what I want, its different, its something you will not see everyday and i know I will enjoy it.

Small update.
I was able to get the exhaust all mocked up and ready for the welder. I cut the cat out, which is now for sale, and will be running straight pipe all the way back. I got the car started and solved the fuel wiring problem which was great. Car started right up, turbo sounded great, and bov functioned, I couldnt be happier. Now after the exhaust is done, i should have all the bugs worked out.

Monday, December 02, 2013 5:46 PM
Glad to see this is all coming together. Keep up the good work man!

Sunday, December 08, 2013 10:58 AM
Update time guys!

I had the exhaust fully tig welded and was able to get it hung on the car. It fits great, and I am happy with it. I also re ran the charge pipe to the throttle body with a different coupler and had it welded together to prevent the charge pipe from blowing apart under boost. I spoke with Ryan and we planned to have him tune the car come January after the holidays. I am working on making sure everything is good to go so we wont run into problems with tuning. Here are some pictures below.

Exhaust Sound!

More to come soon.

Saturday, December 21, 2013 3:22 PM
I'm loving the build bro. It makes me ready to start my build. Good luck with the rest of the build, also what #s did you put down?

A J-body owner since 1998
91 cavy, 99 sunfire, 00 cavy
06 cobalt SS/SC YELLOW
09 cobalt SS/TC sedan WHITE 1 of 41
Sunday, December 22, 2013 6:01 PM
Spyder:
Car was not dynoed yet as I ran into problems last time. I am having the car tuned by Ryan come January after the holidays so I will have exact numbers for everyone then. Goal is 300hp to the wheels.

Update time guys:
I was able to pick up a Corbeau racing seat and get it mounted in the car, I need to get the passenger side mounted now. I also uploaded a more recent picture of the engine bay with the fuel regulator gauge installed. The next step is a tune as I mentioned before will happen in January. More to come.

Engine Bay

Corbeau FX 1 Seats

Sunday, December 22, 2013 8:48 PM
Is the air intake temp sensor on the intake to the turbo? Shouldn't it be on the charge pipe for more accurate reading? That is how we did iur turbo ln2. An ait sensor out of a 3rd gen camaro is a screw in style. And uses the same plug.

Sunday, December 22, 2013 11:08 PM
Did you decide to delete the A/C just to make it easier or was it absolutely necessary for space requirements?
Monday, December 23, 2013 4:47 AM
JUCNBST:
The intake tube for the turbo has a bulkhead fitting for the air/oil separator which is mounted on the firewall. I have the push-in style IAT sensor on the back side of the charge pipe closer to the throttle body. I was talking with Ryan and he also suggested a screw in style connector. Thank you for the info on the 3rd gen camaro sensor, I will look into that.

TJ:
The A/C had to be removed for space requirements as the down pipe runs right where the stock compressor is. RD Fabs had asked me is that would be alright when they were making the set-up and I had no problems with it.

Also I forgot to mention in my last post that the 4 Point harnesses I have in the pictures were the same ones I had originally. Im not sure if I will keep them as they are blue or try and get another set. That's all down the road of course thou. Tune is next big thing on the list!

Monday, December 23, 2013 9:30 AM
I would highly suggest the 3rd gen IAT like Ryan.
Also, do you have any additional PCV provisions?
Did you plug the small hole in the head that I sent you a picture about.
You can see my IAT on my tubing, it kinda points at the vacuum manifold, and brake reservoir.
I would also recommend the TTR upper mount.
Do you have an aftermarket lower mount?
Attachments
downsized_0516122130a.jpg (31k)
downsized_0516122129.jpg (35k)
downsized_0516122130.jpg (33k)

Monday, December 23, 2013 1:53 PM
Bobby:
I did plug the hole as you showed me with the valve cover spacer. I have the prothane upper insert and the prothane lower dog bone mount. I am looking into a weld bung for the IAT sensor and will most likely swap over to it. I want to make sure everything is ready when Ryan is here to make sure I don't run into any problems this time. I fixed all the little things that went wrong last time so hopefully I will be good this time.

Monday, December 23, 2013 6:34 PM
Ah, didnt notice tuat was an AN fittinr on there. I normally surf via cell phone. I just wanted to mention that before you started tuning for high boost levels and had a leak at the iat. I really like the time you have in this build, very clean. Cant wait for numbers.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:40 AM
Not a problem Juc, I appreciate all the feedback as I do not want anything wrong when it comes time for tuning. This is my first turbo build so I have done tons of research to make sure I did everything correct. A few small things here and there, like the IAT for example are things I have come across with reference from everyone on here. I cant wait for numbers myself. Its sucks to open the garage door and see the car just smiling back at you lol. I know patience pays off and I should have a very nice car come spring time.

Friday, December 27, 2013 10:04 PM
Hey Vinny, did you upload an exhaust sound video? If so, i am unable to see/listen to it. Or if its on your FB page, its set to private. Just curious, i want to ear the beast!!

Monday, December 30, 2013 5:09 PM
TJ:
The exhaust clip is on my facebook page. I reset the privacy settings so you should be able to view it now.

Update time!
Well I hope everyone had a good holiday. I got some more work done on the car and was finally able to give it a good wash. I received an Optima Red Top Battery and billet aluminum mounting tray to replace the fabricated tray I made. I also picked up the camaro IAT sensor and I am waiting for a weld bung. This will most likely be the last step before the tune, but Im never sure lol. Pictures Below!

Battery Tray, still need to finish cleaning up the carpet below.

So fresh so clean.............

IAT Sensor:

More to come.

Monday, December 30, 2013 10:19 PM
Looks really good Vinny. I don't think it takes away from the look of a "stock" sedan at all either.
Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:13 AM
Fk it put stock wheels with hub caps on and go crazy sleeper style!
Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:44 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. Compared to what it looked like before the build, the only noticeable differences from the outside are the brakes and inter cooler really. I really like the look of the 95-99 Z24 wheels, but I'm not sure if they will clear the Wilwoods. Also Another issue I was thinking of is traction. I would like a decent size tire on it and I know the right tire will make all the difference. The day before the transmission went and I started to tear the car down, I had brand new 215/45r17 kumho's mounted on these wheels so I will be using those for the time being. Once those need to be replaced, I will think about a different wheel set-up. Right now I'm up in the air with going with a 245/40r17 on a 17x8 or dropping down to a 15x8 if they clear the Wilwoods.

Has anyone had any luck with mounting 15's on their car with the Wilwood brake kit?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search