Boosted 2200 Build - Page 16 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Boosted 2200 Build
Friday, February 07, 2014 7:46 PM
Very excited to see what this car is capable so i can shut some of my friends up! Ryan, you are from the STL area? I'm just across the bridge in IL. Definitely need to talk with you sometime. Hope all goes well tomorrow Vinny, keep us updated for sure!!!!

Friday, February 07, 2014 7:55 PM
Vinny wrote:Yes tomorrow is the big day. I made it to Ohio and actually met up with Ryan tonight. Was nice to actually meet him and we went over a few things and he was able to pull the old file from the car that CMR had tried to "start" and it was all messed up, more to come on that because that will be a new thread on its own. Im sure Ryan will add to it. Looking forward to what the car will do, and I know it is in good hands. More to come.

Yeah I heard it was just a stock file.

FU Tuning

Friday, February 07, 2014 7:59 PM
Excited to see the outcome for sure!

Friday, February 07, 2014 8:22 PM
..........survey says?

Saturday, February 08, 2014 4:39 PM
Last update I saw was, fueling issues.... know them all too well.

Saturday, February 08, 2014 5:34 PM
That's an unfortunate turn of events. I hope it gets ironed out!

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Saturday, February 08, 2014 5:37 PM
Sunday, February 09, 2014 6:47 AM
Hopefully he chimes in here, but Ryan's wife said it seemed like they got the fuel worked out but had to replace an o2 sensor and were on the dyno. Started at 10am, and got on the dyno at 10pm. Fingers crossed for results!

Sunday, February 09, 2014 8:05 AM
Wow....12hrs.... hearing about everyones misfortune makes me feel extra lucky that he got my eco done as fast as he did. Im curious to see what the fuel issue was.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 9:30 AM
Why is the anticipation for this car so much more than many others has been? lol

I keep seeing this thread bumped and expecting an update!

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, February 09, 2014 11:13 AM
Matt Linke wrote:Why is the anticipation for this car so much more than many others has been? lol

I keep seeing this thread bumped and expecting an update!

because there aren't many 2200's left out there that do builds... the ones that do are above normal builds. Plus Ryan has his hands on it which means business.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 11:15 AM
"above normal" i would call my car abnormal, lol.

Granted if youre going to make power with a POS motor, you need to go above and beyond.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 11:19 AM
Matt Linke wrote:"above normal" i would call my car abnormal, lol.

Granted if youre going to make power with a POS motor, you need to go above and beyond.

so you are jealous his is getting attention? I just think being its one of the stronger j motors, but being the so called bastard child, there is some decent interest.

We have all seen what Ryan's has done, and now Ryan has his hands on another one.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 12:06 PM
Jealous? Lol no. Personally I'm stoked to see what this car can do. I've been a proponent of this build since I first found the thread.

Don't try to read between the lines

What I was originally implying was the run of the mill 300whp Dohc motor feels tired to me (only cause it's pretty easy to do, and done frequently). This has nothing to do with what I'm doing vs what Vinny is doing.

I thoroughly believe the motor can do more than the original intended goal, I think the fab work that went into it was done well. This thread deserves the attention that it's getting.

Monday, February 10, 2014 9:33 AM
Well its time for the update a lot of people have been waiting for. We made it to Ohio and meet up with Ryan the first night to pull the old file and take a look at the car. He got back to me later that night and said the Either Chris Miller flashed back to the stock file or never changed anything, because everything was the same compared to his wife's stock file.

The following day we meet at Quick Rev. First off, Ryan and Jim from Quick Rev were an absolute blast to work with and were very helpful. We ran into a lot of problems and they both helped out to make sure the car was perfect. The first problems were related to the fuel. We were not getting a good reading from the gauge on the regulator so we ended up having the rail drilled and tapped. We also noticed that I had plumbed the feed to the regulator instead of to the rail. Once we got all that figured out we started to do some driving on the dyno and saw that the motor was running alittle hot. Coolant started pouring out of the overflow. We tested the cooling system and made sure the coolant was perfect. We thought there was an air pocket but in the end the thermostat was sticking. It was a brand new thermostat when i built the car. We ended up "gutting" it because the heater core was removed so now there is a free flowing system. Once this was taken care of the car ran at about 150 degrees. The other problems we ran into was needing a new primary oxygen sensor and the wideband sensor was pretty much burnt. We also noticed that I plumbed the boost solenoid the wrong way which caused boost to spike at 28psi. This could have caused some serious problems. The motor took it and it only blew one coupler off the throttle body. We bypassed the boost controller and only ran on gate pressure which was about 8 psi. When we started getting some pulls we also noticed there was something with the MSD DIS Box, and it seemed as if it was over riding the rev limiter and setting it pretty low.

After about 12 hours of problems and all working out we were able to get a few pulls at 8 psi. We brought the motor to about 6200 and the boost hit nice and clean and constant as well. We were able to make 140whp and 250 wheel torque. Keep in mind this is at 8 psi and on a dyno dynamics so it will be about 18% less. Torque came in about 2600 rpm. After we were able to get a good tune on the car we took it for a little ride at about 4-430 in the morning. It pulls pretty good and drives just like it used too. I was very impressed with the car, even with the problems we ran into. I am able to drive the car but i have a few small issues to work out before Ryan can crank up the boost. I know i will be returning to Ryan for more tuning as him and Jim were great to work with. I appreciate all the work from them as I know if I would have stuck with CMR, the car would have went up in flames with the problems we ran into. I know the car was in good hands and I could tell Ryan knew how to make the best of these motors. More to come.

DYNO

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d
Monday, February 10, 2014 12:56 PM
It sucks that you ran into so many issues. Get the problems fixed and get that hp number where it deserves to be!

I'm happy that you got the bugs you found worked out and it at least running and drivable. When do you plan to retune it for more boost? Soon I hope!

Monday, February 10, 2014 2:12 PM
Yes I plan to get back with Ryan for tuning later on. Most likely next month/beginning of spring. I got the car home and up on all 4 today, and made a list of the small issues I have to correct. I will be in touch with Ryan in the meantime for any questions I may have. I want to make sure all the issues are taken care of before returning. Im hoping the next time will be the last time for tuning and I should be able to turn the boost up.

I ran into those problems because I couldn't really drive the car with the tune that was on it, mainly because it was a stock file. It was just dumping fuel and would foul the plugs if you let it idle for more than about 15-20 seconds. This was my first turbo build so Ive expected problems along the way but i did not give up. After hearing what Ryans told me about the car I'm really excited to see what it will do. I was glad once the problems were taken care of the car seemed pretty good under boost and nothing else came up. I will take care of the issues and drive it on nice days to try and "break in" the motor to try and see if any more issues may arise.

More to come..........

Monday, February 10, 2014 2:35 PM
What is left to fix?

I am afraid of the day I go to start my car finally after all this work. Lol I fear it's gonna leak coolant in like 50 places with all the things I've had to change.

Monday, February 10, 2014 3:28 PM
I have replaced pretty much everything on the car during the build and Ive learned even brand new parts can cause problems. The thermostat was causing new problems and it was a brand new brand name piece. The little issues I have to fix is:
-Wideband Sensor, need a new one and install it.
-give the wiring a good going through
-figure out what I want to do with the MSD Box,
-Will be talking with Ryan on plumbing and wiring the Profec B to make sure it is correct this time around
-remove the the 45 deg elbow in the regulator.
-I have a new washer bottle pump I have to install
-Finish wiring the head lights
-Just make sure everything on the car is good to go.
I would like to pull the valve cover and make sure everything is good but other than that there isn't much. I plan on getting a new sensor this week and will hopefully get a lot of it taken care of this upcoming weekend, especially because of the holiday on Monday. The car needs to be inspected as well as an alignment but after that I will try and put some miles on it.

Monday, February 10, 2014 4:33 PM
Sorry to hear about all the Issues Bro, you pretty much built a whole new car yourself,pretty impressive. cannot wait for all the bug fixes and see what that badboy will do! you said you were having an issue with your regulator not reading correctly, so you tapped the Fuel rail. I bought the same one(13107) from summit. is this sometging i need to think about as well? good Luck man on getting things fixed. you have more patience than i ever could have! it will pay off for you
Monday, February 10, 2014 4:50 PM
I have the gauge on the regulator and as we tried to adjust fuel pressure we noticed nothing was happening. Originally I thought the regulator was on the feed, but on our cars it is on the return so we tapped the rail to get a correct reading. Once the gauge was in the rail, it read correct as we adjusted it.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:15 AM
Vinny wrote:I have the gauge on the regulator and as we tried to adjust fuel pressure we noticed nothing was happening. Originally I thought the regulator was on the feed, but on our cars it is on the return so we tapped the rail to get a correct reading. Once the gauge was in the rail, it read correct as we adjusted it.

Mine was moved into the rail for this exact reason.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:29 AM
Sounds like a typical size list lol. None of it is catastrophic and none fortunately is expensive.

That's very strange about the fuel pressure regulator. Maybe running it backwards messed with the internals of it? I rebuilt mine before I used it cause it had been sitting around for so long. It's a cheap kit from aeromotive, might not be a bad idea to think about simply for peace of mind.

Personally i would lose the msd box and just run factory icm and msd coils/wires. Unless you need the msd box for like a 2 step or something. It's just less tech to be in the way at that point.

Best thing about this is that it's still winter and at least you didn't cross these problems in the middle of like July half way through the season. Still plenty of time to finish and refine before there's even warm enough pavement for traction. Still plenty of time to make rwd v8 cars upset .

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:49 AM
Matt Linke wrote:Sounds like a typical size list lol. None of it is catastrophic and none fortunately is expensive.

That's very strange about the fuel pressure regulator. Maybe running it backwards messed with the internals of it? I rebuilt mine before I used it cause it had been sitting around for so long. It's a cheap kit from aeromotive, might not be a bad idea to think about simply for peace of mind.

Personally i would lose the msd box and just run factory icm and msd coils/wires. Unless you need the msd box for like a 2 step or something. It's just less tech to be in the way at that point.

Best thing about this is that it's still winter and at least you didn't cross these problems in the middle of like July half way through the season. Still plenty of time to finish and refine before there's even warm enough pavement for traction. Still plenty of time to make rwd v8 cars upset .

Correct. Nothing that is needed is expensive, just mostly time consuming. As for the FPR, its fine. I also agree about ditching the MSD box, its just not needed. It was a long day, Im still tired! Was all worth it though to see the car move under its own power. I know that made Vinny happy!

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:09 AM
Matt/Ryan,
I was super excited to see the car move under its own power without any problems. Its been a while since I was able to get behind the wheel. The car felt great for the low boost setting and I am excited to see what will happen when we turn the boost up. The little things are nothing I cant handle, and shouldn't cost a lot of money at all. The MSD box is the 62112 (believe that was the number) has all the 2 step, and launch control. I've always had good results with MSD boxes, and I would like to keep it but if it keeps giving me problems, I can take it out, or leave the bypass in for now. For now the car ran good so I don't want to mess with anything. I agree Ryan, it was a long ride home and sleep was lacking. I got the car unloaded and up on all 4 to start going through the little things. Im hoping to get a lot of them taken care of this weekend so I can start using it. Will be in touch in the near future for more tuning. Thank you again for all the help.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search