Boosted 2200 Build - Page 17 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Boosted 2200 Build
Monday, February 17, 2014 5:52 PM
Update time!
I received the new wide band sensor and got it installed in the new location, got all the wiring tucked up and away. I was able to take out the 45 degree fitting from the fuel pressure regulator as well as install a new washer bottle pump. Started the car and it fired right up. Ran rich at idle but leveled out once at operating temp. Before I can drive it, I need to fix the head lamps as I am having a wiring problem with them. I have new bulbs, all the fuses are good and I also replaced the headlamp switch but they are still not functioning correctly. I have a constant hot to the center wires, but no grounds on either of the other 2 wires. If we supply a ground the lights come on and stay on but if you turn the lights off from the switch they wont come back on unless we supply a ground. However, the pink wire on the drivers side gets a ground but the lights still will not work. I checked the grounding box and everything seemed good and got a good ground signal as well. Im at a lose for words on these so if anyone has any info, please let me know. I do not want to remove the headlight harness and check each wire individually, but I feel that is where all roads are leading. Once these head lights are figured out, I can put the front bumper on and get the car inspected. More to come.

New Wideband Sensor

More Motor Pics:

The new Sticker, I am glad to have this on the car.

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:04 PM
Do you still have the ground under the battery tray for the headlight harness?

FU Tuning

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:18 PM
Yes i still have the grounding block that is bolted to the frame. I checked it with a power probe and I got a good ground signal. I even opened it up and cleaned all the surfaces and it still didn't help.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:32 PM
Small update:
I received an Innovate Turbo Timer, but I am trying to figure out the headlight harness. I took the harness off the car and started to go through it. I buzzed the connections with a voltmeter for the head lights are they all worked. However, one wire in the grounding block wasn't the best connection so I will try to redo it or perhaps tie them all together. I had a good ground connection when it was bolted to the car, but that doesnt help with the connection inside the block. Hopefully this will fix the problem. I will also be replacing the one 9007 head light connector as well. More to come

Timer:

Harness:

Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:09 PM
Update Time!
I was able to fix the head light harness and get the headlights to work properly. I swapped out the grounding block for 2 ring terminals and made sure they had a good ground and everything worked great. Once that was taken care of, I re installed the head light harness, tied everything up good, and just went through the car a quick time. I put the front bumper can fender wells back on and tightened everything down. Took the car for a small ride, around the block a few times and noticed the shifter was off. Go to find out the shifter cable bracket was loose, tightened the bolts and it was good to go. Took the car to the gas station, filled her up and took the car out for a small drive for a few blocks. The car turned heads and you could tell people were saying, "Whats in that thing" Got the car all washed up and clean. I still have to install the turbo timer, and give the car another check, just to make sure everything is good and happy. It felt so nice to be able to drive the car again and it felt great to be behind the wheel. Below are a few pictures of the car all back together and clean.

Sunday, February 23, 2014 6:35 AM
Awesome news Man! car looks great! Cannot wait to see what she can do with the boost cranked up! :-)
Sunday, February 23, 2014 6:49 AM
So is it all buttoned up for the retune now?

I'm starting to get antsy with the better weather we have been getting this week

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, February 23, 2014 6:55 AM
Nice work! Glad you're at least able to enjoy her for now. Can't wait to see numbers after a retune!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, February 24, 2014 3:22 PM
Appreciate the compliments guys. It was awesome to drive the car the small amount that I did. Unfortunately the snow is coming back this week so I have the car in my garage. As of now, the car needs an inspection and wheel alignment. I eye balled it pretty close when assembling everything but I would like it to be correct. Hopefully the nice weather will be back and I can have the car inspected and aligned at the same time. I will not be leaving the car when that gets done as you never know what joy rides some people may take. Ryan and I spoke about more tuning beginning of spring but we did not set up a date at the moment. I am especially happy that the car will be done and ready for this season of car shows and I cant wait to see the reactions and attention it will get. Of the car shows I have been too, I have maybe seen 2 cavaliers over the past few years so it will be nice to be the one of a kind. More updates to come.

Monday, February 24, 2014 6:05 PM
glad you got the wiring for the lights worked out. We have the same issue right now on our car. But it's a toy so no need to fix it. The car looks great I'm looking forward to more power and pics come better weather.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:20 AM
Did Ryan get a chance to mess with the trans tune?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:21 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Friday, February 28, 2014 4:20 PM
MD:
To be honest, I am not 100% sure. I know we were talking about it and Ryan did say he would play with it. Once all the issues were worked out we did some drive-ability on the dyno and everything seemed good. Im sure during the next tuning session he might go more in depth with it with the increase in boost. I was able to take the car out alittle after work today, planning on going for an inspection tomorrow to be honest. Its been in the single digits here so its been cold and they are predicting a big storm early this week. Tomorrow looks to be sunny and mid 30's so hopefully I can drive it alittle more after the inspection. More to come

Saturday, March 01, 2014 6:02 AM
Ryan told me he used some of your tables MD, and mostly used the tranny tune from Erin's car.

FU Tuning

Saturday, March 01, 2014 3:05 PM
Thanks for the info John. I know he mentioned it when we first met. The tranny felt good and stayed cool so I was happy with that. Its always a nice feeling when you rebuild something and it functions properly. On another note, I got the car inspected today and it passed so she is legally on the road now! Car feels great, after each ride i go through it just to make sure everything is the way its supposed to be. I haven't ran into anything major yet, fingers crossed.

Monday, March 03, 2014 4:29 AM
Glad to hear.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, March 04, 2014 8:28 AM
Glad to hear! Looking forward to figuring out a time to buttom her all up. That reminds me, I need to walk you through hooking up that boost controller correctly.

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 4:03 PM
Ryan,
Yes we will set a time to crank up the boost. I am starting to drive the car a little here and there, so I'm keeping an eye out for any problems that may arise. I will definitely be in touch with a few things, and the controller of course. I don't know if i can handle another 28 or so!

Monday, March 17, 2014 5:50 PM
Small update Time.
I have been able to drive the car and put some good miles on it. Drove it to a car show and everyone that saw it loved it. The car got some great comments. Drove it to work which is about 25 miles each way. Car feels great, AFR is good in boost. More tweaking and they will be perfect. AFR while cruising are near perfect. I have spoken with Ryan about setting up a date to crank up the boost. We just have to to figure out what day works for us. I haven't ran into any major problems, so Im hoping there are all in the past. I pulled the plugs and they looked great as well.

I gave the car a well needed detail over one weekend and it still shines great. Some pictures below.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:19 AM
Looking great man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:04 AM
Don't tell me you fell for the prop the hood up in the back to let heat out fad....

Otherwise looks great and I miss mine that color.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:08 PM
Guilty as charged Vince, although this is not permanent. I agree it looks like the hood is not down all the way. I am trying to find/fabricate a nice looking hood for the car to get more air in rather than just the grille. I want to keep it clean, and have the idea of a naca duct or some kind of vent in my head. For the time being I'm going to keep at the drawing board. Im not sure how the car will look with a carbon hood or a big scoop but I have seen some nice looking hoods while searching. Will keep updates coming though.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Sunday, March 30, 2014 10:44 AM
Update time!

Well to start off, this update will start out pretty scary. I noticed that y valve cover was cracked around the 2 front bolt holes. My conclusion is due to over tightening because I have ARP bolts on the valve cover. It was not leaking but I removed the cover and spacer and I will be getting a new cover this week most likely. While the cover was off, I decided to just look and make sure things were good. They weren't. I noticed that 3 of the 4 intake pushrods were against the back of the head. Pull the rockers off and find out that the pushrods had come out of the seats, and had actually made indents in the bottom of the rockers. The last pushrod actually had a broken tip. Pictures below.

I was afraid the tip of the pushrod was in the motor, so I drained the oil, and found no metal shavings, and the oil looked clear. I looked around in the head and found nothing. I dropped the filter and cut it open, and there were shavings all over the place. I was relieved because they were all caught in the filter vs the motor. I poured some oil through the motor to :"flush" it just to be safe. Replaced the filter and threw some fresh oil in it. I will be picking up new pushrods this week to replace the one that is broken and I should be back in business. While this was scary at first for me to see, im glad I captured it before it got worse. Because of this, i noticed while adjusting the rockers, the intake valves were not staying open as long as they should, which makes me believe I should see some power added from this once everything is back where it should be. If the intake valves stay open longer, it should have a difference. We shall see. Below are pictures of what I saw while the cover was off.

Decided to black out underneath of the trunk as well:

More news to come this week as Im hoping to have the car back up and running. Im glad the motor is fine, and there is no damage from this. I do not mind replacing a pushrod. More to come.

Sunday, March 30, 2014 10:50 AM
Yikes glad you caught it before it got worse. But the question remains, what caused it in the first place?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, March 30, 2014 10:59 AM
Ryan,
That question is still on my mind as well. I thought the valve train noise was alittle much for my liking. I haven't driven the car that much since the tune with Ryan in Ohio. Im not sure if the rockers came loose during travel or if something happened while driving. All the gauges in the car indicated nothing was wrong, oil pressure was good, AFR was good. I know travel can be a lot of stress on a car, but I wish I knew the correct answer.

Sunday, March 30, 2014 1:02 PM
I had similar happen with my old crane rockers. I stopped using them for that reason. It was hard for me to justify the roller tip rockers for the ".46" ratio difference vs the adjustment needed and for me the locks kept backing off no matter what I did. Perhaps it was something that I was doing incorrectly, but according to all that I read and was told about installing them I had done it correctly as well as the adjustment.

I went back to the stock rocker arms. They are roller rockers just not roller tipped. I was able to get the motor to run quiet without any train noise for maybe a week on the roller setup. I gave up lol. Noise FTW!

Peace of mind vs the rocker upgrade was more important to me. (its a bit quieter with the harder valve springs and harder lifter springs though)

Im happy that you were able to get that figured out before the problem got much worse. I would probably have pulled the oil pan off the car just to see what I could find inside it (maybe something was too large to drain with the flow of the oil). Hopefully the problem is done with and wont rear its head again for you down the road.

Perfect time to upgrade the pushrods if you havent

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search