Boosted 2200 Build - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Boosted 2200 Build
Monday, March 28, 2011 6:28 PM
Hello everyone. I am in the process of building and boosting my 2200. It will be fully built, and i would like to run around 15lbs. I know the motor will be able to handle more, but it is a daily driver. I just would like around 280hp and 250tq. I am not overlooking anything on this build because i want the car to last, and i have been doing as much research as possible. I do most of the machine work myself, so porting and polishing is not a problem.

I have a few questions that i am getting stuck with, and was wondering if anyone would be able to help.

1) I was debating about going with oversize valves, and was wondering if the 1MM oversize is worth it in the end? If so turbo tech would prob be where i would order them from.

2) I have the Comp Cams 26981 valve springs, and was wondering if the Comp 26918 springs would be better? I know they have a smaller diameter, but the coil bind height is what i am worried about. I have Harland sharp 1.6 roller rockers, and i plan on running a turbo cam. I hear the stock cam loves boost, if so would that be ok?

3) Lastly, the only place i seem to find the ARP head and main studs is on IPP. Is there any other place i can buy them from?

This build is not something that will be done overnight. I have put tons of time and alot of money into this build, and it will be done right. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

XtremE2200CaV

Re: Boosted 2200 Build
Monday, March 28, 2011 7:26 PM
Vinny wrote:1) I was debating about going with oversize valves, and was wondering if the 1MM oversize is worth it in the end? If so turbo tech would prob be where i would order them from.

Anything that is going to help the engine breathe is going to be a benefit. That being said, you don't NEED them to acheive the goals you are looking for.
Vinny wrote:2) I have the Comp Cams 26981 valve springs, and was wondering if the Comp 26918 springs would be better? I know they have a smaller diameter, but the coil bind height is what i am worried about. I have Harland sharp 1.6 roller rockers, and i plan on running a turbo cam. I hear the stock cam loves boost, if so would that be ok?

I am using the Comp 26918 's in mine. You will have to machine the seats to get the seat pressures correct. Here is a little hint.... Try to find an older LS1 cylinder head. If you can find one that has not been disassebled (or a machine shop that has them laying around), the locators will work perfect. As for the cam, the stock cam will be fine....
Vinny wrote:3) Lastly, the only place i seem to find the ARP head and main studs is on IPP. Is there any other place i can buy them from?

Good luck.. I know myself and Karo had a "fun" time dealing directly with ARP.. Its a crapshoot depending on who you talk to....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, March 28, 2011 7:59 PM
Thanks for the advice QWK. I love everything you have done with our car, i wish i could see it in person.
I have 2 sets of valves now, stock and a set from a 95 because they were longer. I figure im going this far, i should just do bigger valves for breathing reasons. Ill keep the stock cam for now, i can always change it down the road. Hoping to have the motor completely finished this year, so we will see.

XtremE2200CaV
Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:46 PM
Vinny,

Are you planning on running a log or a tubular manifold? Are you going to swap pistons and rods? if so any idea on what brand pistons and comp ratio?

Just wondering. Good luck on the build!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:32 AM
Josh,
I purchased Eagle Rods, and Wiseco 8.5:1 Compression pistons. I have a spare motor which I am building while I use the car. I will be going with the Cometic 0.070 head gasket. The crank will be polished and knife edged as well. All Clevite bearings, and I have a Cloyes timing set. After reading what QWK LN2 said, i will prob keep the stock valves, and run the stock cam. I have the ARP rocker studs, and Harland Sharp 1.6 rockers. The springs are the only thing that Im still searching.

As far as the manifold goes, I have a spare pacesetter header which i was debating about cutting up and using the flange to make a manifold. I am looking around for a tubular manifold, but I find log styles all over the place. I would like the manifold to be stainless. While researching i found the Vulcan manifold, but i heard mixed reviews about them. I really like the RD Fabs Long horn manifold but i cant seem to find it anymore. I find the log styles on ebay, even an OBX log style manifold. I dont seem to find the tubular manifolds as much.

QWK LN2,
Just wondering if you had part numbers on the ARP studs or if there were the ones that IPP says. 301-4701 for the Head studs and 301-5401 for the Main studs. I put these numbers into summit and didnt get any luck.

XtremE2200CaV
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:23 AM
Vinny wrote:I really like the RD Fabs Long horn manifold but i cant seem to find it anymore. I find the log styles on ebay, even an OBX log style manifold.

Contact Cody or Agent Omega or go to EcotecForum.com and contact Edubs. All 3 are RD Fabs sales reps.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:02 AM
Vinny,

I originally had a ebay log style... I would stay clear. I tried the 2nd route you said about using a Pacesetter header but got took for $800 and the header. John Benham came throught with a Cavalier Connection (AKA J-Tuners) Tubular manifold. They are super rare these days. The RD Fabs was similar design if I am not mistaken, just way nicer. I would say to reach out to them and ask them to make you one. I am sure they would be willing to. They are pretty cool guys to work with.

The problem I ran into with the eBay logger was that the manifold's wastegate flange was WAY to close to the 4 bolt T3/T4 flange and well I couldn't use the 35mm or 38mm Tial I had. It did boltto the block nice though. I personally like the way the OBX logger looks. Nice finish to it.

If you are going with full roller rockers you will need a valve cover spacer. Phil Lindsy made mine.

keep us posted on the build and snap pictures... we love pictures!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:50 PM
Thanks for the info Josh, the manifold is not the next thing on the list, but its not far behind. I post pictures to my car domain. I know I will need a valve cover spacer, and i will most likey buy one from Phil later on.

Here is the link for the cardomain. Pictures are on the last page.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d

Thanks again

XtremE2200CaV
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:57 PM
If you want to do your own header, I have an AutoCAD .DXF file with the manifold flange. You can send it to a local laser cutter and have it done for about 35-45 bucks (that how much mine was) for material and labor.
Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:21 PM
Very good advice here so far. I have the ARP stud part no.'s somewhere, and they are on JBO somewhere also. But as Ryan indicated, dealing with ARP is a craps shoot at best.

I am sure RD Fabs can make one for you, they arent cheap, but well worth it IMO.

Im glad your liking your J-tuners/cavalier connection mani Josh, I might know where someone else whom I sold my second one to MIGHT be interested in selling if you are interested OP.

as far as the part nos you gave, i would have to check, but summit aint guna have them. call ARP directly. the main line is 800-826-3045, the number i finally had luck with is 805-525-1497

Saturday, April 02, 2011 8:15 PM
John,
I tried calling ARP in the past, and the told me they didnt make them for the motor. I guess i can keep trying and see if something comes up. I was just going to order them from IPP if i dont get anywhere from ARP.

Got my HKS SSQV BOV limited black one today everyone. For the turbo set-up, i want teverything to be black and stealthy. Black intercooler, piping, bov, waste-gate, etc. I will keep everytone updated on the build. ARP fastners and valve springs are next on the list, then the turbo components. I couldnt pass on the BOV, got it at an amazing deal, and its brand new.

XtremE2200CaV

Sunday, April 03, 2011 6:26 AM
arp does make them for the 2.2 as my buddy has them on his car when he built his motor

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, April 03, 2011 3:03 PM
Here are the pistons,

XtremE2200CaV
Sunday, April 03, 2011 3:06 PM
HKS SSQV BOV:

I am going to try and call ARP again this week, and hopefully i will get someone who knows what I am looking for.

XtremE2200CaV
Sunday, April 03, 2011 5:57 PM
When you call ARP, you need to tell them you need X number of this part number......not I need a head stud kit for my 2.2L cavalier.

Monday, April 04, 2011 9:49 PM
Subscribed, good luck with your build! If done right, you will have a fun cruiser. I actually have one of the original J-tuner manifolds, sadly it has never made it onto my car.

Totaled 2008
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 5:54 AM
QuasiZ (Raiseup) wrote:Subscribed, good luck with your build! If done right, you will have a fun cruiser. I actually have one of the original J-tuner manifolds, sadly it has never made it onto my car.

I represent all turbo LN2 owners when I say, yes that is sad. You know how many log runners out there would LOVE to have this piece? me neither but im guess atleast 10 lol

For real dude get a move on. Sell the girl friends promising ring and your buddies car stereo and lets get this turkey turbo'd! otherwise if your still sitting on it like a golden egg the OP might be interested in it if its for sale that is.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 9:35 AM
I sent an email to RD Fabs, and they said they still have the blueprints for their long horn manifold and they would look into prices and what not for me. I am also going to try and call ARP again today. Hope i will get someone this time.

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 2:25 PM
Like everyone has been saying, ARP is a "fun" time to deal with. They were able to recognize the 4701 and 5401 as head and main studs. They suggested taking certain measurements and going from there. I will try to research alittle more and see if i can find different part numbers.

This is a stupid question, but summit lists head studs for the 2.2 ecotec. I am pretty sure they wouldnt fit, but is there a chance that they would work? I know its a DOHC, but it was just something worth thinking of.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:47 PM
Josh G. wrote:
QuasiZ (Raiseup) wrote:Subscribed, good luck with your build! If done right, you will have a fun cruiser. I actually have one of the original J-tuner manifolds, sadly it has never made it onto my car.

I represent all turbo LN2 owners when I say, yes that is sad. You know how many log runners out there would LOVE to have this piece? me neither but im guess atleast 10 lol

For real dude get a move on. Sell the girl friends promising ring and your buddies car stereo and lets get this turkey turbo'd! otherwise if your still sitting on it like a golden egg the OP might be interested in it if its for sale that is.

Yeah I'm contemplating selling it along with everything else I have. If you remember Adler, I actually bought his whole set up. So I think I've been sitting on this for four years now? I can only imagine the potential of this kit seeing as there was no HPT when Adler was making 275hp and 306tq with a mildy built motor.

Back on topic, to the OP have you checked with JBP on the headstuds? I have't been in the j-game for awhile so I'm not too sure on their reputation anymore, but it might be worth looking into:

ARP headstuds

A quick Google search came up with this company, I'm alway weary of places I've never heard of but a call to them couldn't hurt:

Another ARP link

Good luck with your search for the remaining parts!

Totaled 2008
Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:07 AM
Raiseup, Thanks for the link to JBO performance, and the other link. I saw the link to custom cars central before, but the number they show is the same number arp gave me for the ecotec. I don't understand why they say it is for 95-05 2.2 though. I guess I'm going to keep trying with ARP directly but if i get no where, i will just purchase them from IPP of JBO Performance.

Friday, April 08, 2011 10:32 PM
i wouldnt recommend the stainless manifold because i had one and it warped 2 time and i cut and reweled it 2 times then finialy one day it cracked and blew a hole big enough i could fit my pinky threw
Monday, April 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Had a package waiting for me when i got home today.

ARP Head Studs

Monday, April 11, 2011 8:58 PM
Lets try that again!

Monday, April 11, 2011 9:06 PM
where did you end up getting them from?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search