Tuning a 99 with an M45 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tuning a 99 with an M45
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:58 PM
im new to this and want to know as much as i can. going into this blindly. HPT is my only option? i know i cant run a reflash correct? only the 2000+ can

Re: Tuning a 99 with an M45
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 5:22 PM
azncav wrote:im new to this and want to know as much as i can. going into this blindly. HPT is my only option? i know i cant run a reflash correct? only the 2000+ can

You can run the reflash, but will loose osme gauge function because of the lack of a BCM, but I am not 100% which functions you will loose.

My best friend has a 99 Z24 with a M45. It is a auto, and I tuned it with HPT. Has been doing good for about 3-4 years now.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 5:53 PM
can i do a harness swap to a 00-02? to run a bcm/pcm?

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:16 PM
Can't you just put the stuff on and get it hpt tuned? instead of using the gm flash *just a noob asking a question*

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:25 PM
LarryMartin830(now with 00z24) wrote:Can't you just put the stuff on and get it hpt tuned? instead of using the gm flash *just a noob asking a question*

Yes...that is what I did to mine

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:04 PM
LarryMartin830(now with 00z24) wrote:Can't you just put the stuff on and get it hpt tuned? instead of using the gm flash *just a noob asking a question*

Yes you can.

Still the GM reflash is better, but yes it can be done.

Yes you can do a wiring harness swap to run a 2000+ harness, BCM. Dash harness has to be swapped.

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 05, 2011 1:50 AM
so only the dash harness has to be swapped?

Thursday, May 05, 2011 4:22 AM
azncav wrote:so only the dash harness has to be swapped?

I'm not 100%. I know the dash harness is different, and that is what the BCM connects to.

I know it has been talked about on here, but I have never done this swap for this reason myself.

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 05, 2011 4:26 AM
.....and gauge cluster. If I remember correctly., if you run the 00+ GM-Reflash on your 99, you lose the Tach, coolant gauge, and the fuel level reads full?

Engine harness works, and so does the body harness from a 99 with 00-02s.

Also, you can repin your tach to work with the 99 Cluster. I believe that is what whitecavy did. I would talk to him. I think he is running a 00-02 tune on his 99.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, May 05, 2011 4:28 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, May 06, 2011 10:28 AM
I asked a similar question before and got this answer:

Flas the 99 computer with the 97 SD file and just copy the table values from the gmpp flash. I was told it works on the same bases.

Easier than swapping the harnesses, just have to pay for 2 sets of credits, 1 for the 97 sd file and 1 for your car. Credits arent needed for the gmpp flash since you will just be comparing/copying and pasting in the 97 sd file.

I hope it works that way, those are my plans for tuning when the turbo goes on.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Friday, May 06, 2011 7:37 PM
DSMskyline wrote:I asked a similar question before and got this answer:

Flas the 99 computer with the 97 SD file and just copy the table values from the gmpp flash. I was told it works on the same bases.

Easier than swapping the harnesses, just have to pay for 2 sets of credits, 1 for the 97 sd file and 1 for your car. Credits arent needed for the gmpp flash since you will just be comparing/copying and pasting in the 97 sd file.

I hope it works that way, those are my plans for tuning when the turbo goes on.

This could be done, but the GM flash is much better.

FU Tuning

Friday, May 06, 2011 8:03 PM
Are there more tunable parameters with the gmpp flash that the SD flash doesn't have? I figured they would be close to the same if the data was transferred over.

Saturday, May 07, 2011 9:46 AM
fmu and afr, injectors, wideband...good luck,

Saturday, May 07, 2011 11:02 AM
DSMskyline wrote:Are there more tunable parameters with the gmpp flash that the SD flash doesn't have? I figured they would be close to the same if the data was transferred over.

To my understanding the SD flash is missing some tables that the gmpp flash has the aid in reading boost. So the tune wont run quite so smoothly, probably still better than just using hptuners and going at it on an Alpha-n though.

Saturday, May 07, 2011 11:47 AM
DSMskyline wrote:Are there more tunable parameters with the gmpp flash that the SD flash doesn't have? I figured they would be close to the same if the data was transferred over.

The fueling files in the SD file are boost/map and RPM, but the KPA only goes up to 105 kpa, which really is not boost. The GM reflash gopes to 200 KPA for fueling.

Also missing a injector pulse width multiplier field also.

FU Tuning

Saturday, May 07, 2011 1:04 PM
Looks like the 01 harness and ecm/bcm sitting in my attic will get put to use at some point.

On with the continued thread jack. Is there a better 2 bar map sensor or are they pretty much all the same?

Saturday, May 07, 2011 9:25 PM
this all seems like alot of work.. lol boost is not something i can learn easily i see

Sunday, May 08, 2011 6:27 AM
azncav wrote:this all seems like alot of work.. lol boost is not something i can learn easily i see

If it is tuned properly by someone it can be done on your stock ECU and be fine. I have done it, Ryan has done many, and I know others are driving like that.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:17 AM
Either way you do it with a '99, it's kind of cobbled. I've given up and am buying MegaSquirt to tune mine.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 4:35 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:

The fueling files in the SD file are boost/map and RPM, but the KPA only goes up to 105 kpa, which really is not boost. The GM reflash gopes to 200 KPA for fueling.

I dont care what the column headings say, it you have a 2 bar map on it its a 2 bar tune. You just have to remember to multiply any map value you get by 2 to get the actual value. On a 1 bar tune running a 2 bar map, 105 kpa of real life map goes in the 50 kpa column.

Guys why not run the reflash on the 99 computer and just run an aftermarket tach, temp gauge, and fuel gauge. The fuel gauge is easy enough, they even make ones for the GM style sending units to use the stock sender in the tank.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:14 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:

I dont care what the column headings say, it you have a 2 bar map on it its a 2 bar tune. You just have to remember to multiply any map value you get by 2 to get the actual value. On a 1 bar tune running a 2 bar map, 105 kpa of real life map goes in the 50 kpa column.

Guys why not run the reflash on the 99 computer and just run an aftermarket tach, temp gauge, and fuel gauge. The fuel gauge is easy enough, they even make ones for the GM style sending units to use the stock sender in the tank.

Yes you can run a 2 bar map on the SD file, it would be a 2 bar fake.

I would not run the GM reflash on my 99 (if I had one because I do not want aftermarket gauges). I like somethings stock. That is me.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:56 PM
The gas gauge on a '99 will work just fine even after flashing on the GM reflash. The big problem is that the knock sensor for some reason or another does NOT work. That ruins it for me.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Thursday, August 04, 2011 1:55 AM
Cursed Cav wrote:The gas gauge on a '99 will work just fine even after flashing on the GM reflash. The big problem is that the knock sensor for some reason or another does NOT work. That ruins it for me.

Oh then screw that @!#$.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, August 04, 2011 3:14 AM
I do believe the knock sensor still works, but it has been YEARS since I flashed my 99 with a 00 reflash. It was only on it for a short while.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, August 04, 2011 5:34 AM
Cursed Cav wrote:The gas gauge on a '99 will work just fine even after flashing on the GM reflash. The big problem is that the knock sensor for some reason or another does NOT work. That ruins it for me.

Which knock sensor does your car have? 1 wire or 2 wire?

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search