A Review and Test: Electric Superchargers. - Page 5 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: A Review and Test: Electric Superchargers.
Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:39 AM
Not arguing, as stated before but I need to explain something regarding to my post. Do you know what this mean ? " :-) "

Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:43 AM
No, you need to just stop, seriously! No more BS explanations.
If you really think a hair dryer CAN dry air....your a moron, just stop. STOP, and leave.

Ahhh.....I should really take heed to my sig about now. Do what you want, spout your $hit, I'm done here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:44 AM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:01 AM
^^^ its funny you mention that, cause I was just thinking the same thing, but if you don't realize you are the idiot, thats your own problem. be easy!

Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:30 AM
Haha, i stopped reading once he started talking about air pumps. Air pumps are not the same as air compressors.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:46 AM
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:^^^ its funny you mention that, cause I was just thinking the same thing, but if you don't realize you are the idiot, thats your own problem. be easy!

WOW, am I reading this right? Does this mean you agree with a hair dryer drying air...LOL?

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Thursday, May 21, 2009 12:21 PM
No, this is me agreeing that you are being a jackass with nothing intelegent to add to the topic, and just dismissed everything this kid had to say due to one small typo or language barrier issue. If you don't like the topic, don't read it.

Thursday, May 21, 2009 12:54 PM
Just go to home depot and buy a freaking leaf blower and duct tape and be done with it.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:18 PM
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:No, this is me agreeing that you are being a jackass with nothing intelegent to add to the topic, and just dismissed everything this kid had to say due to one small typo or language barrier issue. If you don't like the topic, don't read it.

Sorry man, but you need to read what he was saying. He was trying to find a middle ground between the BS that this already covers and trying to actually articulate the technology into something useful. If it could be done well, it would have already been done. yes, you can use an real electric supercharger using like a vortech compressor housing and an electric engine/trans combo...but the footprint requirements of such would be much larger than you could fit in any modern engine bay. Maybe if you took out your back seat...sure why not. But then lets not mention the 100+ lbs it will add compared to a traditional roots, centrifugal, or turbo of less than half the weight. It just doesn't make since.

But to say all he had was a language barrier or a typo is total BS, read it again. Yeah, ok, maybe I'm an ass about how I go about bringing reality into the picture. I'll agree with that.

Saturday, May 23, 2009 2:26 AM
Wade Jarvis wrote:Just go to home depot and buy a freaking leaf blower and duct tape and be done with it.

Thanks for your suggestion, even if you are just mocking me.
Too much clearance between the rotor and the housing in a leaf blower, too much energy loss for the effect produced, some people tried them but I doubt that this is the way.

Contrary to what some people might think, in my first post I was talking seriously, the second one was obviously a joke but some members took it for good. (?)
What is hard to understand is where this so much hate coming from ? I'm not used to it.
Saturday, May 23, 2009 4:42 PM
It's not there is too much energy lost in a leaf blower hooked up to the intake...it's that there isn't enough to begin with. Also, for the record, both posts sucked whether they were a joke or not. Neither of them were even close to reality or actual facts, rather they were both filled with mis-information and bad assumptions.

Why so much hate? Cause this is an idea that has already been beaten into the ground. We are supposed to like it when somebody comes up with the same bad ideas we already know wont work, then when we tell them it wont work they just say they are going to still do it?

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:30 AM
Guys, you don't even need to install this on a car to realize it's a POS.

Get a pipe end from home depot, drill a hole in it for a boost gauge line, use a coupler with clamps to mount it to the "supercharger", run it and observe the pressure.

Whatever pressure it develops when closed off is a best case scenario, and will only drop once mounted on an engine.

All you had to do was run this thing into a dead end and measure the pressure it generates. I'd be shocked if it exceeded 1 psi.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:37 AM
Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:49 AM
More info:

MSRP: $28.61
CFM: 90
Power: 36 watts

Just how much was he selling these for???

This blower's is rated 90 CFM in a free-air environment with zero restrictions. If your engine requires more than 90 CFM, which all our engines do at WOT, this blower would actually be a restriction and produce NEGATIVE boost.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 12:36 PM
workaholic wrote:
Wade Jarvis wrote:Just go to home depot and buy a freaking leaf blower and duct tape and be done with it.

Thanks for your suggestion, even if you are just mocking me.
Too much clearance between the rotor and the housing in a leaf blower, too much energy loss for the effect produced, some people tried them but I doubt that this is the way.

Too much clearance?? Too much energy loss?? I would beg to differ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyR0U_fYtwY

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:20 PM
Quote:

A typical leaf blower might use 1800 watts and probably generates 1-2 psi.

This bilge blower POS uses 36.

At 50% efficiency, an 1800w electrical draw translates to 4.8HP off the crank (assuming your alt+battery have 150 amps to spare). You might net 7-8 HP after all this.

Is it worth it? I'd say no.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:25 PM
Solid Snake wrote:
Quote:

At 50% efficiency, an 1800w electrical draw translates to 4.8HP off the crank (assuming your alt+battery have 150 amps to spare). You might net 7-8 HP after all this.

Gas powered leaf blower was more my train of thought.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:30 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:
Solid Snake wrote:
Quote:

Gas powered leaf blower was more my train of thought.

Ahh....dude...we need to stop over at a gas station and fill up the tank on my blower! Quick too, pretty soon these V6 mustangs will beat us!
DONT LET MY BEWST RUN OUTTA GAS YO!!!!

Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:54 AM
Then you have other worries...

How are you going to filter the air the leaf blower is drawing in?
What are you going to do with all the exhaust fumes building up under your hood?
How stupid are you going to look when someone puts a video on youtube of you pull-starting your Cavalier?

If you must do this, please don't do this on a J, we catch enough sh!t.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Monday, February 22, 2010 10:25 AM
Thank you all for this enlightening topic. I have been interested in the electric boost idea for about a year now and was even foolish enough to buy one of the $39.00 versions on ebay to see what or if it could work. My thinking was that, if an engin had to Work to draw the needed air for combustion then Anything I could do to lessen that vacuum could only help and add HP, even if it was a small amount. Now I believe that a turbo and a boost system do just that. The difference I think can plainly be stated as, The ability of any kind of electic motor system would need to draw more current than any electical system in a motor vehicle can supply. Particularly since as the speed of an engin increases so does the demand for air and this why turbos and blowers work and electric motors can't. As the spped of the engin increases so does the speed of the turbo or blower. An electric motor offers a VERY brief amount of low level back preasure witch means you car will idle Much better (and burn more fuel) because the mass air flow sensor should respond to the extra detected quantity and probably lower temprature (condensed) of the incomming air, but as soon as you pass the point where the amount of air demand exeeds the ability of the the electric motor you may even be starving the air flow to you engin because now you engin air flow has to assist the electric motor to turn the fan as well not to mention the extra work you engin has to perform in turning the heavly loaded down alternator, ( the electicity is not free).
Soooo, untill electric bateries and motors become much lighter and efficiant all the engineers will keep working on this one and it will probably show up in a production car at a high price. Have I got right guys? I just thaught it need to be explained in real simple terms. I sure wish someone could have eplaind it to me a year and 39 bucks ago.
Thanks and please keep this site going. PS. you can add 2006 ecotec (2.4L) to the list too. Aragon
Monday, February 22, 2010 11:02 AM
Bruce Lehr wrote:My thinking was that, if an engin had to Work to draw the needed air for combustion then Anything I could do to lessen that vacuum could only help and add HP, even if it was a small amount.
yes, but a fan isn't going to do that.
Quote:

Now I believe that a turbo and a boost system do just that.
not really, they actually force more air past the restricions already in place.
Quote:

The difference I think can plainly be stated as, The ability of any kind of electic motor system would need to draw more current than any electical system in a motor vehicle can supply. Particularly since as the speed of an engin increases so does the demand for air and this why turbos and blowers work and electric motors can't.
well, there are electronic boost making devices, and they do compress the air. but the banks of batteries these require and the physical size of the devices themselves make it prohibitive for automotive use.
Quote:

An electric motor offers a VERY brief amount of low level back preasure witch means you car will idle Much better (and burn more fuel) because the mass air flow sensor should respond to the extra detected quantity
NO. there is a difference between MOVING air and COMPRESSING air. fans MOVE air, compressors (as the name implies) COMPRESS air.
Quote:

and probably lower temprature (condensed)
as you compress air, its temperature increases. basic physics.
Quote:

of the incomming air, but as soon as you pass the point where the amount of air demand exeeds the ability of the the electric motor you may even be starving the air flow to you engin because now you engin air flow has to assist the electric motor to turn the fan as well not to mention the extra work you engin has to perform in turning the heavly loaded down alternator, ( the electicity is not free).
this will pretty much happen at any speed above that of idle. HOWEVER, it takes vast amounts more power to get the fan spinning than to keep it spinning. and a bilge blower type fan wouldn't even begine to make a modern electrical system sweat.
Quote:

Soooo, untill electric bateries and motors become much lighter and efficiant all the engineers will keep working on this one and it will probably show up in a production car at a high price.
even if batteries and motors became light enough to warrant any applicable use on automotive systems, a proper turbo will still be more efficient and less costly.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, February 22, 2010 6:48 PM
And you guys thought my weed eater was wack............
lol ehehe

http//www.umods.org/drift.html
umods@live.com/ddiaz@umods.org

Monday, February 22, 2010 7:00 PM
David Diaz wrote:And you guys thought my weed eater was wack............
lol ehehe

don't use past tense for a statement which still holds true. we DO think its "wack".

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:25 AM
WOW! Now you have me thinking it could work again!! Would you people please make up my confusion?? (just kidding) thanks for the clarifaction.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:30 AM
Has anyone here tackled installing a nitros kit in an ecotec 2.4L yet? If so I would like to know the results and any advice. Thanks
Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:35 PM
Bruce Lehr wrote:Has anyone here tackled installing a nitros kit in an ecotec 2.4L yet? If so I would like to know the results and any advice. Thanks

try asking in the n2o forum.

or try going to http://www.ecotecforum.com/ , since this is a site for j-body's and no j-body's came with a 2.4 ecotec.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search