saab kit pcv issues - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
saab kit pcv issues
Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:16 AM
So I'm really confused. In putting together my Saab kit and not 100% sure on what I need. Lets see if I got this right...
I need to go from the port that's already in the valve cover to a catch can. Then from the catch can to a filter? Correct?
Then I need to tap my manifold behind the little hole in the middle, go from there to a catch can, from the catch can to the intake before the turbo? Correct?
Is that all or am I missing something or don't have it right or what? Please help, I'm stuck and confuse to a point where I'm thinking of selling it and going s/c...
Also, is there a way to do this without tapping the manifold? Do I really need 2 separate catch cans? And what happens if I don't do this and just put a breather on the valve cover. Thanks for any help

Re: saab kit pcv issues
Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:28 AM
Mine is set up as follows

valve cover to inlet of catch can
outlet of catch can to inlet barb on the turbo.

And this is how the saab setup runs minus the catch can.....

Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:59 AM
So I need not worry about the hole between runners 2&3? Just basically add in a catch on the vent that will only see vacuum???
Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:06 AM
hole between the runners? are you talking about the one at 12 o clock position on the plastic intake?

Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:12 PM
jason norwood wrote:hole between the runners? are you talking about the one at 12 o clock position on the plastic intake?

yessir
Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:34 PM
jason norwood wrote:Mine is set up as follows

mine is setup the same way.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:22 PM
jason norwood wrote:Mine is set up as follows

Wouldn't this pressurize the catch can?

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:37 PM
Yes I am in the process of adding a breather filter on the catch can. thats how to do it right?

Friday, May 13, 2011 5:31 AM
jason norwood wrote:Yes I am in the process of adding a breather filter on the catch can. thats how to do it right?
that makes sense, you would be drawing in air from the outlet and pushing air in from the inlet.

Still however looking for an answer here, do I need to do anything with the hole in the middle on the stock plastic manifold?
Important note - my turbo, manifold, and charge pipes are NOT Saab. They are aftermarket, but everything else is from the Saab setup. That's not really going to matter will it?
Friday, May 13, 2011 7:34 AM
that part on my manifold goes to the pruge valve i think.

Saturday, May 14, 2011 6:37 AM
take the stock intake drill a hole where the PCV hole is on the head.
take a 3" piece of brakeline flare 1 end, shove it in the hole, epoxy the brakeline into the hole so there no leak
attach an older saab 9-3 PCV check valve to the brake line you just added.
attach to intake

this will allow the PCM hole to do its job and the saab 9-3 check valve prevents the boost from going in. you don't need a catch can with this method and so far this method has been working for almost 2 years the saab valve might be from the 900 style can't remember at the moment

JBO since July 30, 2001

Saturday, May 14, 2011 10:08 AM
So do I block off the hole in the intake manifold entirely by bypassing it straight from the block to outside of the intake (thru the line I would add)... then attach it to the intake side of the turbo (before it enters the charge pipes) then on the other end a breather filter would suffice... correct?
Saturday, May 14, 2011 4:40 PM
yes you would fill in the hole on the intake manifold so that the hole in the head would send the air through the piece of tubing then theres a port on the intake manifold i believe you can tie it into all your doin is controlling it now so it wont boost for how long your in boost theres no issue.

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:28 AM
Here's what I ended up doing! I ran the valve cover to the inlet on the turbo. Then drilled a hole in the manifold so air passes directly through the flange part. And never goes into the manifold at all, just bypasses it. Then that created "port" is teed into that same valve cover inlet tube that runs to the turbo. So now both will only ever see vacuum
Just as running n/a it will breathe normally... correct me if I am wrong?
Thursday, June 02, 2011 5:00 PM
should work

we put it to the manifold ports with the saab check valve that way boost wont pass through it take a pick for us

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search