heat temp. with boost - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
heat temp. with boost
Monday, June 20, 2011 7:58 AM
was talking to a buddy of mine who has a boosted honda. he was mentioning that when he went boosted he was overheating and that he had to basically set his fan to be on at all times due to the added heat under the hood. is this something we need to worry about under boosted applications?

and since this is dealing with temps. ive got a aftermarket water temp gauge i need to finish hooking up but need the fitting that plugs into the block, i was told i need to keep the stock sensor on for the car to run normally and i was told its a M12.5 x1.5 thread size. but not sure what type fitting i need and where i could pick one up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Re: heat temp. with boost
Monday, June 20, 2011 8:15 AM
If everyting is working properly, you should notice little to no difference.... Sounds like the boosted honda has some issues....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, June 20, 2011 8:32 AM
yea sounds like you might have a bad radiator cap or maybe air in the system somewhere

honda guy def has issues

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, June 20, 2011 8:40 AM
Ceramic coated hotside, manifold, and downpipe makes a big difference as well.

94 Talon TSI AWD 11.95@115
03 Cavalier LS Sport 16.6@87
Monday, June 20, 2011 1:29 PM
I never noticed any increase in temp from being boosted at all.

Monday, June 20, 2011 1:57 PM
No temp increase at all from boost, well it does come up to temp faster but once the thermostat opens it stays right at 195 or less.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, June 20, 2011 5:32 PM
thats good to know. guessing nobody knows the proper fitting to add the water coolant line?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, June 20, 2011 6:03 PM
sndsgood wrote:thats good to know. guessing nobody knows the proper fitting to add the water coolant line?

can you clarify? are you trying to water cool the turbo?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:36 AM
no, trying to hook up my temp gauge. need to find a fitting that will work

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:37 AM
Depends on your routing, cooling, etc. On my car there used to be an increase in temperature after you drive for a long while. The exterior of my turbine is around 700 degrees. All of that heat tends to soak a little after a while, especially with an old stock radiator. After I set my fans on, my car stays consistently at or under 200. Before, it would creep up a little (210 max) but there's definitely an effect with a hot turbo and manifold bolted to the head. And with my car, the downpipe is very close to the heater core hoses. So yeah, some heat gets added to the system.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:30 AM
Never noticed any engine temp increase on my gauge at all, BUT if you physically lift my hood and stick your head under there after the car has been running you can notice how damn hot it is lol. I can hear my coolant boiling through my turbo coolant lines.

Like ION said, heat does get added to the system.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Monday, July 04, 2011 3:25 PM
He was probably suffering from higher underhood temps, that's why I'm going to modify my car with every heat extractor I can think of to releive the underhood heat from the engine compartment.
Tuesday, July 05, 2011 2:11 PM
Leafy wrote:No temp increase at all from boost, well it does come up to temp faster but once the thermostat opens it stays right at 195 or less.

This. I am at temp probably twice as quick as it was before the blower. But it stays right at the same mark as before the blower unless Im beating on it. Even then it cools down quickly after going back to normal driving conditions. Surface temps of certain things like the v/c and header are a bit warmer, but nothing that has made the coolant change temps. On stupid hot hot hot days here in PHX, it will run about half a notch hotter, but when the ambient temp is 115-120 out, you expect that. My fans stays on for 3-4 minutes sometimes after I turn the car off on really hot days too.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 3:25 PM
I worked on the after shut off and during driving fan on temps, mine stays on longer now.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 8:07 PM
Jet hot saved my stuff... i recall driving 6 hours to the bash, popping my hood and touching my turbo 15 minutes after it sat there. worked great for me.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 10:02 PM
I didn't notice any change at all, in fact mine actually runs cooler now, but then again with my hood I am touching stuff pretty quickly too, vented hood's are a gigantic help..

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 8:40 AM
Would you believe that my car runs COLDER since being built and boosted? (Stock rad, too)

I did do a few things to help out, though coating the hot side would help a LOT more.

- Added an oil cooler
- Drilled out 180 degree stat
- Redline Water Wetter added
- HPTuners commands the fan to come on at 195

My car barely hits half on the gauge driving around... I'd love to coat everything in the near future (Turbine, Downpipe and manifold) to help with spool up and underhood temps... I honestly think the oil cooler did a lot to help.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, July 06, 2011 8:53 AM
How bad its your gas mileage and low end part throttle power/response after doing that? At least our injectors are in the head so fuel puddling isn't too big of a deal.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 9:15 AM
What do you mean? The car runs stock in the low end (Even on 1000cc injectors, though cold starts in the fall blow) and my mileage is a bit hard to read due to the shorter geared NVG Transmission.... but the last bash I went to I got 530 kms on a tank of gas... (about 320 miles).

It doesn't run stone cold, in fact it gets up to temp VERY fast but doesn't blow past half like it did when it was stock... I was very wary about extra heat when I turbocharged so i went out of my way to combat it knowing I wasn't going to upgrade the rad... The engine bay itself stays hot for hours after the engine is shut off though, unless I open the hood.

(I'm assuming you were talking to me, Leafy)

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Wednesday, July 06, 2011 4:57 PM
Chris I was talking to you. Normally when you reduce the operating temp of a car you reduce its combustion efficiency however if you can make up for this with more timing you normally dont notice any lost power but you should still notice some lost mileage.

Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:14 AM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:Chris I was talking to you. Normally when you reduce the operating temp of a car you reduce its combustion efficiency however if you can make up for this with more timing you normally dont notice any lost power but you should still notice some lost mileage.

Ahh... yes yes... very true. To be honest it's not much of a drop in temp, it's more that I don't allow it to get REALLY hot like it wants to when stock... but yes that's true about the lost mileage.

I think with a regular isuzu or Getrag the car could get about 600 km a tank (360 miles)... but that NVG is a killer. At 60 mph I'm turning almost 3000 rpm and at 70 mph it's turning about 3300... a total gas eater. It's hard to tell what I may have lost from the effects of what I did temp-wise.

Either way, anybody that runs a turbocharger I always recommend they run an oil cooler to help with oil temps. (With the proper temp bypass valve installed if they want to drive in cold weather)

I'm not sure how much the water wetter did... maybe it was a waste of $10.

I find many cars that add boost only start to suffer from extra high temps after extended runs or racing... not regular driving. Hot lap it around a track a few times and see how fast the engine gets extremely hot! Would be neat to have a water temp and oil temp sensor/gauge hooked up to compare...

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search