saab turbo + air filter? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
saab turbo + air filter?
Wednesday, July 06, 2011 1:32 PM
Wondering what you saab guys are using for a filter on the turbo I don't have one and need to figure it out! Pictures or part numbers?

Thanks

Re: saab turbo + air filter?
Wednesday, July 06, 2011 3:24 PM
I haven't ever run one, and know other that don't, but it surely wouldn't hurt to run one.
I know Andy (ALIAS) has a thread on here for the filter from K&N, His screen name might be spelled out differently maybe with some numbers, not sure anymore, but it's there if you look.

Friday, July 08, 2011 7:49 PM
Im not running one, which most dont, but the one a few guys use is a k&n ru-0600. its a motorcycle filter, but it works.
Friday, July 08, 2011 10:10 PM
i dont care what car its on or where its at, i always do and will run a filter. so much @!#$ gets kicked up whether you are in the pits or driving down the road or whatever, not to mention thats acting like a vacuum and sucking everything up. I would never do that... but again i like my car engine clean with no debris...

Friday, July 08, 2011 10:42 PM
I haven't ever ran a filter on my turbo, I clean my engine bay maybe once every 2 months in terms of actually washing and cleaning, and it never gets really dirty w/ the hood down and scoops. I am surprised. Granted it's better to at least run a thick screen on it at least, which I know I do, actually 2 screens criss crossed, but anyway I digress.

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, July 08, 2011 11:45 PM
SLOCAV wrote:I haven't ever run one, and know other that don't, but it surely wouldn't hurt to run one.
I know Andy (ALIAS) has a thread on here for the filter from K&N, His screen name might be spelled out differently maybe with some numbers, not sure anymore, but it's there if you look.

all i gotta say is one grain of sand has 72 cutting edges on it. put that into perspective when just normal dust is blowing around along with sand and dirt or you are driving kicking dust up. Think of the CFM that turbo is sucking in and what all its pulling in at xx,xxx rpm's. If i can keep as much of that out as possible, ill rob the 1hp of power by having a dry element in there rather than a screen of any sorts. anything being sucked in more so than air is a risk to me. ill stick to as much filtration as i can get.

this is a picture of a filter my friend took while tuning cars for the big boys in dubai... needless to say they dont run without filters and you can see why.

Saturday, July 09, 2011 12:34 PM
Wow!

Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:25 PM
Ryan Thompson wrote:Im not running one, which most dont, but the one a few guys use is a k&n ru-0600. its a motorcycle filter, but it works.

knn ru-0600, that's the K&N that I'm running on my turbo

Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:56 PM
Im kinda surprised some run without a filter..I think you would be asking for problems at that point..

Sunday, July 10, 2011 4:36 PM
Mike wrote:Im kinda surprised some run without a filter..I think you would be asking for problems at that point..

Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:36 PM
Never had 1 issue in probably 6 years total of boosting. And I had to lol @ the dubai reference... I have never had a filter even 1/4 that dirty, the filter in my dads 79 cadillac 502 was the original filter in it, my grandmad never replaced it in 30 years... And it wasn't that dirty...

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:49 PM
...Never had a problem, I think it just depends on the conditions you drive in

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:16 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
SLOCAV wrote:I haven't ever run one, and know other that don't, but it surely wouldn't hurt to run one.

all i gotta say is one grain of sand has 72 cutting edges on it. put that into perspective when just normal dust is blowing around along with sand and dirt or you are driving kicking dust up. Think of the CFM that turbo is sucking in and what all its pulling in at xx,xxx rpm's. If i can keep as much of that out as possible, ill rob the 1hp of power by having a dry element in there rather than a screen of any sorts. anything being sucked in more so than air is a risk to me. ill stick to as much filtration as i can get.

this is a picture of a filter my friend took while tuning cars for the big boys in dubai... needless to say they dont run without filters and you can see why.

Ordered the k&n filter I mentioned previously after seeing this pic. It's $30, after the thousands upon thousands I have spent on my car... might as well not risk it any longer
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:49 PM
Ryan Thompson wrote:
Ordered the k&n filter I mentioned previously after seeing this pic. It's $30, after the thousands upon thousands I have spent on my car... might as well not risk it any longer

smart man

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:05 PM
I can see no good idea from not running a filter. Period. If it is EVER run on the street, an air filter is a must.
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:18 PM
ive been on all ends, no filter, then screen filter, then filter. i will never go without one again. to anyone without one. look at your throttle bodies after 5,000 miles. i bet there full of dirt and grime. i used to clean my throttle body ever 3k miles and run seafoam through my engine every 5k miles when i was running filterlesss. and it NEEDED it. with a filter on it, i only need to clean it every 15,000 and havent had to worry about cleaning the engine out yet

running rich? turn the boost up
Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:43 PM
My problem is that I have airconditioning and the can next to the turbo doesn't allow much for the filter to be put on but I have to get one on the car, anyone running a eco with saab kit and airconditioning with a filter on? What did you use?

Thanks

Saturday, July 16, 2011 3:17 PM
There isnt any room for a 90 degree elbow right off the turbo? or you cant fit one of the low profile filters?

running rich? turn the boost up
Sunday, July 17, 2011 6:04 AM
jason norwood wrote:My problem is that I have airconditioning and the can next to the turbo doesn't allow much for the filter to be put on but I have to get one on the car, anyone running a eco with saab kit and airconditioning with a filter on? What did you use?

Thanks

the ru-0600 should fit with a/c since it is only 4" overall height. I should be getting mine shortly and i will post up a pic with it installed (i currently have a/c) however if mine does not fit i will be axing my a/c system
Sunday, July 17, 2011 8:07 AM
Here's a pic of that K&N filter on my setup. The AC has been removed and I have my catch can in its place.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 2:36 PM
ya I will have to figure something out, no axing me whole a/c system for 1 line in the way though. Thanks

Monday, July 18, 2011 5:31 PM

Its tight, but it fits. quiets the turbo down a little too, i like it
Monday, July 18, 2011 7:50 PM
Ryan thanks a ton, is that the ru-0060? I was thinking about doing a 180 and making a air box for the filter over the turbo and using my ram air. the box would be set up like the neon 2.0's

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search