PCV venting another take.... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
PCV venting another take....
Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:26 AM
I was flipping through my summit catalog this morning and saw the Moroso crankcase evac kit, and wondered why no one has used this or a simular setup on any turbo/supercharger setup's you see on sport compact cars. I can't think of any reason why not off hand, am I overlooking anything?

Thoughts/input is welcome, and yes I also posted this on ecotecforum.com

Moroso crankcase vent kit

Re: PCV venting another take....
Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:37 AM
Yeah, you watch horsepower tv. They just had that rerun yoday

Saturday, July 23, 2011 10:00 AM
I don't catch power block on a regular basis, I've been doing a tuneup on my brothers avalanche this morning and missed horsepower I'll try and catch the show on sunday. I found a good read on honda tech already about this topic though.

Saturday, July 23, 2011 4:20 PM
yeah I saw it on HPTV too and was wishing they had something more friendly to our valve covers. went looking at Summit and found this Dynatech Crankcase Evacuation Kits

Sunday, July 24, 2011 11:11 AM
guys those will only work with an open header and even then they do not work that great.

Sunday, July 24, 2011 4:10 PM
And they're illegal in basically any class that I can think of, or at least any class you'd want to run a street driven cavy in.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Sunday, July 24, 2011 4:25 PM
Justin_Inc wrote:guys those will only work with an open header and even then they do not work that great.

Negative... the ventrui principle applies here, they will work on a vehicle with full exhaust but why dump them out into the exhaust when you can actually burn the vapors as intended by the manufacturer?

I never understood why you would want to do anything any different.

And they do work well when used properly, the first PCV system was simply a tube with a slant cut in the backside that faces the front of the vehicle creating low pressure and pulling vapors out... Its what we run on the Nova... The evac kits actually caused enough vacuum that we were pulling oil out of the valve covers and getting blue smoke going down the track.

Mine is just a -6 line running to before the turbo intake, no catch can, and charge pipes are dry after over 20k...

How are these illegal anyway? Yes on the street if anyone bothered to check for emissions tampering... but what class would restrict these?

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Sunday, July 24, 2011 4:34 PM
I know in any class with the scca that a cavy could be ok in. a prepared class or a non-street modified can ruin them bit besides that it's either banned because it's illegal to mod that system our in the case of street mod, it's specifically not allowed, while all other crank case vent mods are allowed.

Monday, July 25, 2011 6:11 AM
You could also always do the zzp oil cap breather, that would be awesome, and Matt Evilution found a company that has an oil cap for us with a 10 an fitting on it.. (for catch can)

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, July 25, 2011 6:15 AM
How much does the zzp on cost? I could make more of mine and sell them for like 25 shipped.

Monday, July 25, 2011 12:40 PM
I have mine hooked up stock, and have no issues at all.

Monday, July 25, 2011 1:28 PM
I am installing this on my car for this season.

This does more than just vent the crankcase gasses to the exhaust, it also helps with creating a negative pressure inside the crankcase, which helps reduce the forces under the piston as well help your rings seal better and a bunch of other stuff.

Pretty neat idea, figured I'd give it a shot.

Monday, July 25, 2011 2:29 PM
I read a thread on hondatech where the guy tested a bunch of different ways to setup his pcv setup on his boosted B series motor, and this method worked the best. I was curious about it for our cars, as I've never seen a turbo build where someone did this, and I'm going to give it a shot when I change over to turbo. I figured I would post up and see if anyone did try this out. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:38 AM
Qwibby PTE Powered wrote:You could also always do the zzp oil cap breather, that would be awesome, and Matt Evilution found a company that has an oil cap for us with a 10 an fitting on it.. (for catch can)

The metco one? I love mine.... Works great too...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search