LSJ TB conversion - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LSJ TB conversion
Thursday, June 02, 2011 4:06 PM
According to Hot Rod Magazine's article about the m62, m90, and TVS 1900 on the LSJ, they gutted the LSJ and Camaro electronic TBs to make them cable operated like anyone with an L61 would need. My question is.... Is this hard to get right? Converting from electronic to cable? Would it be worth it? The LSJ TB would then be a direct bolt on, and it would free up and inch or so for things like air filters, or batteries, or whetever.

I just thought of this as i read the article. I don't think it is anywhere in my near future. I was just curious.

Here is a link to the article and a picture for referance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, June 02, 2011 4:07 PM

Re: LSJ TB conversion
Thursday, June 02, 2011 5:28 PM
So they did not give any step by step on it? I have a LSJ TB that I could play with, and maybe another one I can get a hold of.

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 02, 2011 5:39 PM
They didnt say anything other then they converted it. If you could play with one and get it right that would be awesome. I was kinda thinking why wouldnt the bar and spring and cable attach mechanisms from a l61 work just with the LSJ butterfly plate.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 5:42 PM
EvoFire wrote:They didnt say anything other then they converted it. If you could play with one and get it right that would be awesome. I was kinda thinking why wouldnt the bar and spring and cable attach mechanisms from a l61 work just with the LSJ butterfly plate.

I might play with it this weekend, and see.

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 02, 2011 5:54 PM
one thing i just thought of, is do both sensors bolt to the LSJ TB?

Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:00 PM
DAMN i need to think a bit before i post...lol

Friday, June 03, 2011 8:20 PM
good luck with that chief.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, June 06, 2011 3:53 AM
subscribed!

Monday, June 06, 2011 4:57 AM
I have a space LSJ TB if anyone needs one. lol

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, June 06, 2011 5:32 PM
well the lsj WONT HAVE the iac , or tps

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:42 AM
So.....what happened.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:07 AM
I have won i already tore into, if someone wants it,

It has a couple of differences to if im not mistaken.

Mods: Synapse Charge Piping, Short Throw, Bad-Mab Dp, Dejon Intake, BYT Tuned!
Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:46 AM
Any news on this front?

Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:33 PM
oldskool wrote:Any news on this front?

Friday, July 01, 2011 5:59 AM
I had to push this back while we finished a car and got it running and tuned.

With that done and the fact it couldse a larger TB I started messing with this lastnight. I'm taking pictures as I go. As of now I do not think this will happen, but I have more to take apart hopefully today. I will try to get some pictures up tonight.

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:19 AM
Ok I have messed around with this more. I'm including some pictures. After looking at the pictures in the article Hot Rod. I see all they did was add a part to the LSJ TB to hook up a cable to. It looks removeable, but a single screw. Since they were using a standalone I do not think they needed a TPS. We do as most of our fueling is done by TPS. I'm sure we could find a way to connect a TPS to this TB, I'm just not sure I have the means of doing so.

Then you have to worry about no IAC, and I see no way of doing that. Controlling idle might be hard without it.

So here are some pictures.

L61 bored TB for comparsion

Starting to take apart the LSJ TB

LSJ TB Plate over a L61 TB

I'm not saying I'm done messing with this, but I do not know how much more I can actually do. Open for ideas.

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:54 AM
Should have a tps in that stock electronics bit. I believe that red board is it. You just need to take a multimeter and set it to resistance and measure the resistance across two wires as you move the throttle plate. And figure out if its anywhere near what the stock one does.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, July 07, 2011 12:41 PM
Yeah that piece is destroyed.

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:43 AM
I have a lsj tb I'll try to test it with my multimeter soon. Anyone know what the stock l61 readings are? If not I'll test them on my car.
Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:14 AM
Jason Sneed wrote:I have a lsj tb I'll try to test it with my multimeter soon. Anyone know what the stock l61 readings are? If not I'll test them on my car.

Our cars are a 5 volt system. So as long as your getting readings from 0-5v rnage should be good. just not sure how we would hook up to it (if it does give what we need).

Something else I have been thinking about. If you are running a speed density ecu, or tune. TPS is not really used for fueling, but for PE engagement. Wonder if we could get away with it then? Thoughts?

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:42 PM
Im not sure on that one. We could probably solder up a harness of some sort. How did you get that grey case off the side of the lsj tb? Just pry it with a flathead? Will it go back on?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search