Looks like I'm back - HPT? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Looks like I'm back - HPT?
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:17 PM
So the cavy bug bit me again and I'm finally working on it again. For most of you who don't remember me, I was a pretty active member on here back around 03-04. Boosted my LD9 (stock internals) for about a year or so and decided I wanted more, so I tore the engine down and rebuild with forged internals. Tranny was auto and was sent to a "tranny guy" to rebuild it stronger. He gave me back a grand am tranny which has completely different wiring on it. Long story short, the engine was never fired since the rebuild and the cav still goes without a tranny. All paint was primed over in prep for a new paint job and new kit. So all in all, the cav is in shambles. Its been sitting like that for about 6 years now. I'm planning on buying a 350z before winter and realized if I don't finish the cav first, I'll never do it. So now my interest is with it again. I decided the easiest thing to do is going to be buy another cav and swap the engine, interior, and body kit over essentially having a fresh start. It's amazing how much knowledge I've lost over those 6 years when it comes to the cav though, so expect to see a lot of random questions from me soon.

At the time, aftermarket fuel management for cavys really wasn't there at all besides FMUs. I was able to get away with using an S-AFC and larger injectors which actually kept a pretty steady AFR under boost. Obviously things have progressed greatly since then for us. I'll prob be going the HP tuners route for this project. With that said, whats all needed for HPT to work on the LD9? Just the VCM suite? Are there base maps for it or are you starting from scratch? HPT is deff new to me, so any help before I buy it would be great. Thanks.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: Looks like I'm back - HPT?
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:41 PM
I remember your car, back when I had my first j. Welcome back, you had a white drop top iirc... If your looking to make it easier on yourself you'll want to swap to a 2K to 2k2 body harness, cluster,bcm and engine harness. You wont be needing that afc 2 anymore. Once you swap out the harness's you can use the ld9 supercharger tune for speed density. Look around the tuning subforum and you'll get alot of info you'll need. I'm sure more knowledgable people will post up shortly. Good luck man, did you have an old progress thread?...revive it if you do, I'm sure most will be caught off guard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:48 PM

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:53 PM
I vaguely remember your old car....

you picked a good time to come into the game too but if you are not making 500hp these days, seems like you are nothing haha!

i cant wait to see what you come up with this time. HPT on the ld9 harness will blow your mind!

Thursday, August 04, 2011 3:34 AM
I'll actually be using the entire 00 car, harness and everything. The only thing from the 96 being used would be the engine.
I was thinking 300 or so would be a decent goal (although back when I built the engine I wanted 400), but on a built engine, whats about the limit/whats feasible? I'm more concerned with the tranny holding up. Its more than likely gunna be an automatic again

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Thursday, August 04, 2011 4:24 AM
400whp is very doable with an auto trans. Somewhere over 400whp is when a stock auto trans starts dieing.

David "Whitecavy" ran a 13.07@109.16 with his boosted Ld9 auto, with an ok tune. It dyno'ed around 375whp if I remember correctly, and has a lot more in it.

I would use the GM reflash from the GM M45 supercharger kit. Since it can read boost, and start from their. It will make your life a lot easier. If you need a copy of a GM reflash from an 00 auto let me know once you get HPTuners.

I posted a TON of info on building a 4T40E in this forum....Click me!

Also, with HPTuners you can tune all your shift points and firmness. So there is no need to run a B&M shiftplus or autotrans interceptor.

Matt if you want any help. I work in Mentor, and live in Painesville TWP it not like I'm far away from Eastlake.....if you still live there.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, August 04, 2011 5:33 AM
Since your going to use a 2k+ car, you can run the GM reflash, and tuning should be fairly easiy. I would plan for a Racetronix fuel pump.

300 is going to be too easy on a built motor. GO for more! Here is the top 5 boosted LD9's:

1 Brandon Fetter 551.20 474.90 Dynojet Turbo LD9 @
2 Lafngas 535whp 481wtq Turbo LD9 @ 25psi and pump gas
3 JR Marks 517whp 500wtq Turbo LD9 @ 25psi and pump gas
4 Spyhunter 432.00 424.00 Mustang Turbo LD9 @ 15 psi
5 Brian aka SpeedRacerZ 422.00 Dynojet Turbo LD9 @ 15 psi

The number 10 spot is still at 303whp. This gives you a idea.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search