How to: LSJ Alternator for MP62 Supercharged Ecotecs - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to: LSJ Alternator for MP62 Supercharged Ecotecs
Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:07 PM
Its very easy, and it gains you 20-30 amps of output from the alternator and makes it spin the correct direction. I didnt take any pictures but I did this in a dimly lit parking garage in an hour and 1:15 minutes so its real easy.

What you need:
LSJ alternator is 140 bucks plus 20 dollar core from autozone, which is cheaper than the stock l61 alt
13mm ratcheting wrench
really big screw driver
6mm allen key and vice grips
1/2 inch breaker bar

Step 1
Kill power to the car

remove belt. Refer to my youtube video on how to remove the belt. Your text to link here... Un-do super charger bolts and slide super charger out and set it off to the side.
For me this means, removing the tps and ica connectors an the air filter, I can leave the throttle body cable attached

un plug the connector from the alternator, its close the the intake and has one of the flap type clips on the intake manifold side, also pull the boot off the fuseable link. You likely wont be able to get a tool on the nut for the fuseable link yet, if you can take it off, if not, dont fret.

Remove the top two alternator bolts, these bolts are 2 miles long and you wont be able to pull them out right now.

From the bottom of the car remove the lower bolt. The A/C lines may be in the way of you getting the ratcheting wrench on it. If so, use the big screw driver from the top of the car and pry them away from the alternator, gently. start on the pulley side and move in.

Once all 3 bolts are un-done you should be able to fanagle it to get all 3 bolts out and be able to get a wrench on the nut for the fuseable link.

pull the belt tensioner out first, then pull the alternator out. They fit out between the intake manifold and the upper coolant hose.

Put the new LSJ alternator in through the same spot, then put the tensioner bracket in the same way.

Fanagle it around to get all the bolts back in. I started with the top two, then the bottom one. Once they're all in the bracket hand tighten the top two into the block, then tighten the bottom one in all the way

Tighten the top two bolts in all the way

You'll notice that the fuseable link post is in a much better spot than the l61 alt, put that on and clip the clip in

put the super charger back in

put the belt back on, the diagram looks like so, I always forget it.

Thats all there is to it. You do not need a jack unless you have very short arms or your car is stupid low. You can reach all of the pulleys to get the belt on from the top, its just hard. Again, if you have short arms or struggle you can jack the car up, take the wheel off, take the fender liner off and get to the belt that way. So this way fun, now I'm hungry.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Re: How to: LSJ Alternator for MP62 Supercharged Ecotecs
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:26 PM
I had this alternator on my setup as well. Actually I still have the LSJ AC compressor and crank pulley if anyone wants to make convert to the full 6 rib belt from the cobalts.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:24 PM
I had no idea the lsj alt, Are better . Mines out of a redline

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:03 PM
lsj and redline alts should be the same.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:25 PM
EvoFire wrote:lsj and redline alts should be the same.

Well yeah, considering the redline has an LSJ in it I would hope they are the same.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search