Pcv filter - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pcv filter
Friday, November 11, 2011 5:22 AM
Hey guys for the Pcv I know it is illegal to run a filter In some places because Emissions. However if I where to want just a filter for say "show purposes" what would I ask my parts guy to Order me ?

I will upgrade to catch can when not in "show"

Re: Pcv filter
Friday, November 11, 2011 6:26 AM
Hmmmmm, what engine are we talking about here? Eco?

Friday, November 11, 2011 6:39 AM
For the eco I know you cant just buy the one from autozone because the nipple on the valve cover is too large. back when I ran a filter there I had to run it off a short hose to a reduction barb. The catch can setup I have on there now is just so much cleaner than the filter ever was.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, November 11, 2011 7:00 AM
I bough a silver spectre one at autozone. The hole was small but on the package it said it would fit. With a little effort it fit perfectly.
Friday, November 11, 2011 7:46 AM
Hey my apologies guys yes it is for a 2.2 Eco.

Mr newb what size did you ask for ?.. I can't just tell then I want a filter right.

Hey also for my Intake air filter with the battery what filter or set-up will work?
Friday, November 11, 2011 9:09 AM
Not sure as I am forced induction on this one..... I think the one for the pcv one that you have will work fine.

Friday, November 11, 2011 11:13 AM
if you wanna run a filter on there for "show" then be prepared to clean the @!#$ outta your engine bay unless you swap AT THE SHOW. Just leave it stock and be good to go. keep it clean, and people will probably like it more then some damn ricey filter anyways.

Friday, November 11, 2011 11:41 AM
I have 2 in my tool box that I am not using and probably will never use again.

Friday, November 11, 2011 12:45 PM
I guess I should have been nore clear. This is just I'll next pay check... I am supercharging it thus weekend.
Friday, November 11, 2011 12:53 PM
I'm just using one there because I'm boosted and I don't want stuff going through my charger.
Friday, November 11, 2011 1:36 PM
stuff going through the charger doesnt matter...i am running a completely stock PCV system, and lemme tell ya the car will idle better and perform better with it stock.

Friday, November 11, 2011 1:45 PM
Yeah I need to rig up a vaccum line connection on rigged up intake to do that. I need to order one of those pieces from the K and N intake or use my stock one and move the battery to the trunk.
Friday, November 11, 2011 1:51 PM
Actually I guess I could just use that extra port on the t/b adapter plate for autos....
Friday, November 11, 2011 2:07 PM
Mr Newb wrote:I'm just using one there because I'm boosted and I don't want stuff going through my charger.

That's why you run through a catch can. If you're boosted, it's even more important to have a good functioning PCV since you'll be stuffing additional pressure into the crankcase when under boost (and a little breather filter is not going to help this). Use a baffled catch can, BAFFLED being the really important part, and you won't have to worry about anything recirculating through the blower.

To the OP, if you just throw a filter on the PCV nipple on the valve cover, you'll no longer have a functioning PCV system. You need vacuum to pull on the system, and that vacuum comes from the hose that runs from the valve cover to the air box.

Friday, November 11, 2011 2:19 PM
guys thank you for the replys. I understand the vacuum source is much preferred if not needed. I have a parts guy that has always been good to me But did not have any baffled catch cans in stock. Was going to temp put the filter on so I did not have any oil going through the blower..

I think I shall just buy a fitting to reduce the size.

For the air intake what is the bend type that is need (two ninety angles or can I get it as on peace?.. If yes what us it called?

Thanks again.
Friday, November 11, 2011 2:25 PM
Ok so I'll go get a host tonight and an adapter to fit it up to my t/b? Will that work?
Friday, November 11, 2011 7:19 PM
shayne godding wrote:guys thank you for the replys. I understand the vacuum source is much preferred if not needed. I have a parts guy that has always been good to me But did not have any baffled catch cans in stock. Was going to temp put the filter on so I did not have any oil going through the blower..

I think I shall just buy a fitting to reduce the size.

For the air intake what is the bend type that is need (two ninety angles or can I get it as on peace?.. If yes what us it called?

Thanks again.

I don't think you really understand. The vacuum source isn't just preferred. You NEED it for the system to function properly. This is especially critical with a supercharger/turbo since youre adding pressure to the crankcase. It WILL NOT properly vent with a breather. End of story.

Friday, November 11, 2011 7:37 PM
Haha either way I was just looking for a part number or sizes for the filter until I get the catch can.

An no i do not want blown seals however for the time being it was what I was lookig for.
Saturday, November 12, 2011 8:58 AM
Part number for a catch can? How diy are you? If you cant make things yourself, there are some great baffled catch cans in the 150 dollar range, I forget the brand but they're huge with the corvette and camaro guys. Or you can get the 20 dollar one off ebay and put your own baffles in it.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:45 AM
Read the post I dd not say i wanted apart number for a catch can!!!
Saturday, November 12, 2011 11:02 AM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:I don't think you really understand. The vacuum source isn't just preferred. You NEED it for the system to function properly. This is especially critical with a supercharger/turbo since youre adding pressure to the crankcase. It WILL NOT properly vent with a breather. End of story.

And when we're boosting, where exactly are we going to pull vacuum from for the PCV to function correctly? If your air filter is not restricting flow, there isn't that much suction if one were to tap off the air intake tubing. It's very minor, compared to the amount of pressure you're implying we add to the crankcase.

And how exactly is pressure being "added to the crankcase" when you're boosting? I didn't realize there were no pistons/rings in the way and all that boost/airflow just goes right down into the block.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero

Saturday, November 12, 2011 11:23 AM
[ion wrote: C2]
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:

And how exactly is pressure being "added to the crankcase" when you're boosting? I didn't realize there were no pistons/rings in the way and all that boost/airflow just goes right down into the block.

ever heard of blow by? Look that up.

During normal operation, a small amount of unburned fuel and exhaust gases escape around the piston rings and enter the crankcase, referred to as "blow-by".[7] If these gases had no controlled escape mechanism, the gasketed joints would leak (as they "found their own way out"); also, if the gases remained in the crankcase and condensed, the oil would become diluted and chemically degraded over time, decreasing its ability to lubricate. Condensed water would also cause parts of the engine to rust.[8] To counter this, a crankcase ventilation system exists. In all modern vehicles, this consists of a channel to expel the gases out of the crankcase, through an oil-separating baffle, to the PCV valve, into the intake manifold. In a non-turbo engine, the intake manifold is at a lower pressure than the crankcase, providing the suction to keep the ventilation system going. A turbo engine usually has a check valve somewhere in the tubing to avoid pressurizing the crankcase when the turbo produces boost.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 11:46 AM
Yes, I know what blow-by is. You quoted "a small amount [...] escapes around the piston rings." I have always vented my PCV system with no connection to the intake, and had no adverse issues. I'm sure it is better to have a slight suction to positively pull the gases out, but it is not critical. The pressure in the crankcase is higher than that outside of it, so naturally the pressure will move to a lower pressure area. In an air intake tube, the pressure isn't much lower than atmospheric, if any at all. The movement of the air through the tube will affect the draw though.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:05 PM
[ion wrote: C2]
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:And when we're boosting, where exactly are we going to pull vacuum from for the PCV to function correctly? If your air filter is not restricting flow, there isn't that much suction if one were to tap off the air intake tubing. It's very minor, compared to the amount of pressure you're implying we add to the crankcase..

If it's go minor that it doesn't seem to matter, then why are motors even designed with PCV systems (other than emissions)? Why not just vent it to atmosphere in the first place? Minor or not, and additional pressure is more than what the existing system is designed for. Say what you want, but it's been discussed over and over again on here, as well as plenty of other forums, that having good crank ventilation with boosted apps is a smart thing to do.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:22 PM
And its not just the relative pressure difference. the bernoulie effect also generates a vacuum when its in your intake tube. That is why only old cars their pcv system was just a hose that dropped down under the engine and the bernoulie effect vacuum from the air just passing across end of the hose worked as the pcv.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search