going out on a limb - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
going out on a limb
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:36 AM
hey everyone was at the junkyard the other day and was wondering if a eaton m90 supercharger would work on a 2.2L sunfire? i tried searching what motors they fit but could not find anything.

I am looking for struts for my newly aquired Eibach pro-kit performance coils, If anybody has some?

Re: going out on a limb
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:45 PM
I know this is may be an extremely stupid question, but could someone simple just say yes,no, or maybe.

I am looking for struts for my newly aquired Eibach pro-kit performance coils, If anybody has some?
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:50 PM
LN2 or L61?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:00 PM
His profile says LN2.
Jason Eichorst wrote:I know this is may be an extremely stupid question, but could someone simple just say yes,no, or maybe.

It fits on whatever you want it to fit on. It's going to be custom regardless what type of supercharger you find...

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:13 PM
OK thanks, I tried looking on the forums but all I could find was a topic about this guy trying to hide his s/c and nobody believed him. so do you know of any members on here that have an Eaton m90 supercharger on there LN2? I realize this might be a stretch but no such thing as a stupid question.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:20 PM
Its too big. You will not be able to flow that air through the head. Maybe an m62 would work but if you really want a blower the ln2 is right in the wheel house of the m45. The M90 is just going to make a ton of heat.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:34 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:Its too big. You will not be able to flow that air through the head. Maybe an m62 would work but if you really want a blower the ln2 is right in the wheel house of the m45. The M90 is just going to make a ton of heat.

So then a "Garret GT3076R Turbo" would be too big, and flow too much air for the LN2 as well?

FU Tuning

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:38 PM
No. The m90 is efficient at under 14psi of boost (like most roots blowers). With the ln2 head you just cant cram the air in there fast enough to make less boost than that with a pulley size thats likely to fit in the engine bay. It'll just make heat without making more power than an m62 or m45 could. Unless you get some major port work done and run a huge cam. Even then I doubt that you could get all the air in.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:50 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:No. The m90 is efficient at under 14psi of boost (like most roots blowers). With the ln2 head you just cant cram the air in there fast enough to make less boost than that with a pulley size thats likely to fit in the engine bay. It'll just make heat without making more power than an m62 or m45 could. Unless you get some major port work done and run a huge cam. Even then I doubt that you could get all the air in.
As I have said MANY times before.... Where do you come up with this sh!t, and do you actually believe it?!?!? Hope you realize there is more to port work that just hogging it out......

To the OP, the fabrication would be so extensive and expensive to make it not worth it. There simply is not enough room to place a roots blower... Now a centrifgal supercharger is something that could work....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:07 PM
Research vortec or rotrex superchargers.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:00 PM
lol leafy seems to be one of those book smart guys that doesnt get that sometimes what you read in a book doesnt always apply.

i suppose ur also of the crowd that believes over spinning an m45 past its "number" with an oversized crank pulley wont yield a damn thing but heat, too... right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:01 PM

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:23 PM
No. You do realize I'm over spinning my m62 with the 2.8" pulley? And that I would never consider running an M90 on this car unless it have at least a "street" ported head and and bumpier than stock cams. because I just cant cram there air in there without it, I'll make more boost and more heat, but not much, if any, more power. And the eco head can flow much more air than the ln2.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:40 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:No. You do realize I'm over spinning my m62 with the 2.8" pulley? And that I would never consider running an M90 on this car unless it have at least a "street" ported head and and bumpier than stock cams. because I just cant cram there air in there without it, I'll make more boost and more heat, but not much, if any, more power. And the eco head can flow much more air than the ln2.
And I'm guessing your still on stock/restricted exhaust......

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:54 PM
QWK LN2 (P&P Tuning) wrote:
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:No. You do realize I'm over spinning my m62 with the 2.8" pulley? And that I would never consider running an M90 on this car unless it have at least a "street" ported head and and bumpier than stock cams. because I just cant cram there air in there without it, I'll make more boost and more heat, but not much, if any, more power. And the eco head can flow much more air than the ln2.
And I'm guessing your still on stock/restricted exhaust......

Not any more. My restriction is the head now, and I shouldnt see any issues with this exhaust until I approach my goal, and then ti would only be needing to move to a tuned header rather than a mid length.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:28 PM
well, I don't feel like doing a ton of work on an m90. if it is as much work as it seems. What cars are there out there that have stock superchargers that would be more practical to install on a sunfire? maybe I will just have to suck it up and buy a new one.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:52 AM
Jason Eichorst wrote:well, I don't feel like doing a ton of work on an m90. if it is as much work as it seems. What cars are there out there that have stock superchargers that would be more practical to install on a sunfire? maybe I will just have to suck it up and buy a new one.
For the LN2, NONE! Turbo would be more efficient and more practical.

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:02 AM
Not saying it has never been done (I remember hearing it had been), just I have never seen a car or pictures of a car with a LN2 and a supercharger.

I would love to see one done, but unless you can do everything yourself it will likely be costly. For the money and time, and power a Turbo will do better.

FU Tuning

Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:17 AM
QWK LN2 (P&P Tuning) wrote:
Jason Eichorst wrote:well, I don't feel like doing a ton of work on an m90. if it is as much work as it seems. What cars are there out there that have stock superchargers that would be more practical to install on a sunfire? maybe I will just have to suck it up and buy a new one.
For the LN2, NONE! Turbo would be more efficient and more practical.

Was going to say the same thing.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:42 PM
OK, so supercharger is out of the equation till this motor dies or till summer and I have warm weather to do a swap. I know the Saab 9-3T works on a ecotec. my last question is, is there any other vehicles i could pull a turbo off of and put on my LN2?

Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:45 PM
Or would it be better if i asked what turbos would fit an LN2? I feel like i am annoying but i really don't know much about these things...

Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:55 PM
Everything fits everything, dude. You need to understand that. The only thing stopping you from doing anything on your car is your mechanical knowledge, and your money.

If you had any understanding of how turbocharger installation takes place, you would know the answer to your question. Get a manifold (that's the key to having it "fit") and then get a turbo that bolts onto the manifold. Piping is all custom...

Research! Google.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero

Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:01 PM
Thanks man. That totally make sense this is why I said I feel dumb about turbos/superchargers. thanks for the honest answer! I guess I will do some research into turbo manifolds then!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search