Lsj to l61 cam comparability? - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Lsj to l61 cam comparability?
Friday, December 02, 2011 5:25 AM
CaliforniaDomestics wrote:Philly,

For some reason I was thinking you were out here in AZ but I got you confused with someone else, sorry bout that. My previous comment pretty much makes no sense in that case haha however, there is still no reason you wouldn't be able to pass emissions in most instances so long as your tune is legit. Is there a reason you don't just want to use a set of off the shelf cams? Sure would save you a lot of hassle and you would get to keep your P/S. Either that or a set of customs and just as others have said, contacting the cam manufactures would be your best bet for a set of customs that way you don't have to worry about all the technical aspects of cams.

If I have to I will run a set of off the shelf cams. But after reading on CSS it seems they are still not the best option. I know comp will do a grind for you for no extra money if you give them the specs(or thats atleast what I read).

Now everyone know ZZP is quite versed in the ECO and have gotten some pretty great results with their cams that they have designed. They get Comp to grind them for them.

So I was wanting to use the ZZP specs and get them ground onto OUR cam blanks so that we dont lose our power steering and deal with cutting bits off.

I suppose the issue is if and when I do my cams I want to get the most out of them since it is a fairly expensive mod when you factor in head porting, upgraded valve train and such. I feel that a combo stage one and stage 2 cam thrown together is far from optimal.

But then again who knows....if I go with the 2.4 block this all may be a moot point and ill have to go with something alot more aggresive. But then again the ZZP stage 3 grind may work just right on that block.

Friday, December 02, 2011 6:31 AM
Yeah the thing with running a zzp lsj grind on an l61 is that it will act like a less aggressive cam. I bet you oculd call up zzp right now and ask them for a stage 2 blower grind thats going in a j-body l61 head and they would have you one within 2 weeks, if not next week. Assuming that comp actually does have or blanks. Though you might get them to do a slightly different grind because of the extra 0.2 litres of displacement.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, December 02, 2011 7:48 AM
As of a couple weeks ago Comp did have L61 blanks in stock so now may be the right time. I know Comp goes through periods where they have no blanks on hand for this engine and this can go on for long periods at a time. I am not familiar with what ZZP has been doing with cams but I can tell you I have had rather good results with off the shelfs from Comp. I never did get a chance to play with the blower grinds though on my supercharged L61. Do you happen to have any of the links for the CSS articles on the ZZP cams? Does ZZP actually list all the specs? I am just curious what they have going on.

Leafy is right though the displacement and other characteristic differences with the L61 in comparison to the 2.0 would benifit from a cam that has been custom ground for your exact specs. Something you have to keep in mind is that when making a permanant (non-variable) mechanical change you need to be certain you get it right the first time because it-is-what-it-is at that point. Yes you can get slight cam timing differences with a set of adjustable cam gears but there is no way around the profile of a lobe in the case of the L61.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Friday, December 02, 2011 9:15 AM
Well I supose I'll wait till I get my exact specs.

Sounds like custom is te way to go overall.
Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:57 AM
Custom FTW!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search