wideband alarm idea - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
wideband alarm idea
Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:14 PM
Just a random thing I was thinking about today... It would be nice to have an LED turn on if the AFR went above a certain ratio. I know some gauges have the ability to alarm, but most don't. For those that don't, I wonder if you could use the 0-5v out signal... put a zener diode on that signal line that's at a value of say 2.5v (that equates to 14.8:1 or so on an LC1). Then just attach a LED to the diode. Anything over the 2.5V should dump to the LED. Not really sure if this would work or not, esp since the voltage would vary. Just an idea. Anyone ever come up with something similar that works?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: wideband alarm idea
Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:51 PM
I think it could be made to work, but to me why? If you are not going to notice your wideband gauge, are you going to notice a LED?

FU Tuning

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:27 PM
I would think so. Its amazing how bright those those are when pointed right at you. You could also use a buzzer instead. Just a thought, thats all.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:59 PM
It would be more annoying than anything. Every single time you shift, your LED would be going off. Anytime you down shift your LED would be going off. Anytime you engine brake your LED would be going off. For it to be of any real use it would have to be more complicated than the effort it would take would be worth imo.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:00 PM
CaliforniaDomestics wrote:It would be more annoying than anything. Every single time you shift, your LED would be going off. Anytime you down shift your LED would be going off. Anytime you engine brake your LED would be going off. For it to be of any real use it would have to be more complicated than the effort it would take would be worth imo.

argeed. Besides you would want it to warn you if it was like 12.5 or higher, which would be always in normal driving.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:25 PM
I installed my wideband in a cup on my steering column so I can always see my afr it's front and center...

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:17 AM
With things like DFCO this would drive you nuts in about 15 minutes.

BUT - if you were to utilize / require something like this... I'd put it on a switch and turn it on only for tuning / WOT runs. Then shut it off.

Make it scream "DANGER TO MANIFOLD!".

Yeah!.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:07 AM
SweetnessGT wrote:

Make it scream "DANGER TO MANIFOLD!".

lmao.....

Thursday, December 01, 2011 5:49 AM
I think this is a good idea, but not for Wideband gauges per say, personal preference and all that.

I would rather have a "Oil pressure dropping light" wired to your oil psi gauge, many engines have been saved by a quick glance at the oil psi gauge...... and many lost because people didn't have one at all.
A, "hey dumbass your Oil PSI is dropping", light might be a cool and useful added warning.

Or a Bid ole "danger to internals" scrolling LED plaque on the windshield, lol.

Thursday, December 01, 2011 6:58 AM
Scorpio1 bishes... wrote:I think this is a good idea, but not for Wideband gauges per say, personal preference and all that.

I would rather have a "Oil pressure dropping light" wired to your oil psi gauge, many engines have been saved by a quick glance at the oil psi gauge...... and many lost because people didn't have one at all.
A, "hey dumbass your Oil PSI is dropping", light might be a cool and useful added warning.

Or a Bid ole "danger to internals" scrolling LED plaque on the windshield, lol.

Well Autometer and other company's make a light for this.

Looks like a @!#$light but smaller. Can be setup to light on if oil pressure is below a certain point, or above a certain point.

Same for other things like water temp, oil temp etc..

FU Tuning

Thursday, December 01, 2011 12:15 PM
The Aeroforce OBDII multi-gauges have fantastic adjustable warning light settings and this covers everything and anything you could imagine to include external inputs (such as a wideband if you really felt the need to do that). Been using em for years and I highly recommend them.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Friday, December 02, 2011 5:23 AM
Very nice, Ive never looked into it, just popped into my head after reading the OPs post.
I will be looking into both now though, thanks guys.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search