Supercharged PCV - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Supercharged PCV
Friday, December 09, 2011 4:22 PM
Well I found out the previous owner just put a filter on the pcv and called it good.

After alot of reading on the subject it seems like it would really help alot to have a functioning pcv system.

Now most the info when it comes to boosted j's seems to help out the turbo guys but havent found much out for the supercharged guys.

Typically on a turbo I know you go to your intake tube on the turbo to always have a vacuum, can we as supercharged guys do the same?

Run from the valve cover to the catch can, to the one way check valve to the intake tube?

In that system is it beneficial to run a baffle system as well? I see some people put larger holes in the valve cover and such and weld in an- bungs....what determines that size??

Re: Supercharged PCV
Friday, December 09, 2011 4:29 PM
i am supercharged with a 3 inch pulley, and all i have is the stock PCV location on the LSJ valve cover hooked up to the intake tube before my blower. no baffles no catch can no nothing. I have had my blower off a couple times, and there is no oil build up on the rotors or anything like that. i did notice however that there was a bit of a film on the BOTTOM inside wall of the intake manifold though. however i dont not see any ill effects from it. to me it seems like the design of the manifold kind of (not on purpose) acts like a baffle. However, having the oil/fuel particles vaporized and reburnt is not a bad thing.

Friday, December 09, 2011 4:43 PM
how is it attached to your intake tube?

I have a home made intake tube so I guess id have to weld a nipple on it for my tub from the pcv?
Friday, December 09, 2011 4:51 PM
Friday, December 09, 2011 5:08 PM
Interesting..thanks..
Friday, December 09, 2011 6:02 PM
I did the same thing. The nipple it comes with isn't great so I got a pack of them
from autozone and used one from there.
Friday, December 09, 2011 6:04 PM
mine work fine just with parts from that Spectre kit.

Saturday, December 10, 2011 6:16 AM
i actually bought a piece with the holes already drilled from them and the nipples didnt hold in very well. They were smooth on the sides. So I got some with ribs (for her pleasure) in a pack and its been working great.
Saturday, December 10, 2011 10:09 AM
I would run a catch can/check valve, and pull vacuum off the intake tract...mine is branched off my throttle body adapter. Im sure there are alot of people that just go straight from valve cover to intake, but i personally wouldn't want any unburnt crap passing back through the rotors of the charger.

Saturday, December 10, 2011 10:30 AM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:I would run a catch can/check valve, and pull vacuum off the intake tract...mine is branched off my throttle body adapter. Im sure there are alot of people that just go straight from valve cover to intake, but i personally wouldn't want any unburnt crap passing back through the rotors of the charger.

Regardless of what others say I will be running a catch can....

Although ive been reading and not sure if a ebay special is fine or if I need one of those fancy baffled units that cost 5x as much.

These one way valves....got any links to what id need?
Saturday, December 10, 2011 11:12 AM
I run mine into the brake booster hose, because that'll be under the most vac and never see boost. And I also still have the factory LSJ pcv hooked up.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Saturday, December 10, 2011 11:04 PM
Air should be going into the engine through the nipple on the valve cover. Excessive pressure (problem with motor) will also come out this port.

13.3 @ 106 mph Cammed
Sunday, December 11, 2011 7:42 AM
Philly D wrote:Regardless of what others say I will be running a catch can....

Although ive been reading and not sure if a ebay special is fine or if I need one of those fancy baffled units that cost 5x as much.

These one way valves....got any links to what id need?

Baffled. The eBay specials have nothing inside to catch the blow by and are pretty much pointless. I just picked up a baffled one from eBay for like $45, i think there are a few left.

Sunday, December 11, 2011 7:49 AM
just get a theard 1 end and barbed the other end nipple and run a hose fawk the catch can

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:52 AM
Ya the ebay catch cans you get what you pay for, that is why the expensive ones are 150 plus.......

Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:20 AM
jason norwood wrote:Ya the ebay catch cans you get what you pay for, that is why the expensive ones are 150 plus.......

You sure do, but the question is, is the 3 hours of your life you would spend researching and making your own baffling worth the 90 dollar difference in price?

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:46 AM
Dont know I made my own, like the old greddy cans. I would think that there would be pro's to the system being run correctly so yes...

Sunday, April 08, 2012 7:29 AM
After some reading on CSS..

The guys there have some different views.

Some say you should block off your head port?

Also some say to choose if you going to go vented to atmosphere or vacuum. Like have everything going to a vented catch can without going to your intake tract or do it with vacuum and have a closed catch can
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:03 PM
glad you brought this back cause i want to know as well. Seeing as there are various opinions, I feel better knowing the oil is either going to a can and venting to atmosphere or going to a can and hooked back up to the intake (pre-blower).

like Tinkles said, I was wondering about the TB adapter. There is a nipple on my Katech adapter that is blocked off since I have a 5spd (its used to the auto trans). Can I run a larger tube from the PCV to the catch can, and then a small hose to that little nipple on the tb adatper?

I remember a write up somewhere about the actual science of having a boosted motor vent to atmosphere or have it on a closed system, and think i recall hearing the closed system is better whereas n/a motors are okay to vent to atmosphere.

Tinkles if you run across this, do you have pics of how yours is setup? I def dont like the idea of oil just collecting in my little filter off the PCV or having oil get an opportunity to sneak into my intake!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:30 AM
Going to the throttle body adapter works. I'm using Tink's LS1 tb adapter, and use the nipple on there. I have two -8an barbs on the valve cover (one replacing the stock barb and one on the exhaust side) which run to the catch can, then from the can through a check valve and into the throttle body adapter. I also modified the m62 manifold, gasket, and spacer so that the built in check valve can function properly in conjunction with the port in the head.

With a boosted motor, your best bet is to have vaccum applied to the PCV system to help in pulling out the extra pressure...Like Tom pointed out, the nipple on the valve cover is normally a fresh air inlet...gases will escape on their own as pressure builds under boost, but having the extra help from a vacuum source will help evacuate the gases and keep the crankcase vented.

There is great write up from Sweetness GT, it pretty much covers anything you'd need to know, and the illustrations are a great model to use.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:06 PM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:Going to the throttle body adapter works. I'm using Tink's LS1 tb adapter, and use the nipple on there.

Might want to check that and verify everything is ok. I too and running Tinks LS1 adapter. Although my car wasnt driven and just sitting there idling and tested and temporarily mocked up. I had my PCV from the valve cover to my catch can to my TB adapter. The vacuum was so great off the TB adapter that it was pulled oil out of my valve cover and threw my un baffled catch can right into the adapter. i then moved it the pre throttle body were the vacuum is much less and it seemed more normal. if this is right i dont know. Just a heads up. when the car goes back together, i will be using two 3/8 lines from the valve cover to a baffled catch can to a single 3/8 line pre TB.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:17 PM
^ I'll eventually be moving mine pre throttle body once I have a chance to fab up an intake. Though I didn't seem to have problems with oil consumption having it hooked to the tb adapter. I'm not positive, but I feel like your issue may be due to running an un-baffled can.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 4:33 PM
i have and LSJ intake going on L61 head..how do i make it work because the PCV doesnt line up ?
Sunday, May 06, 2012 12:15 PM
Im actually needing to do this, because Im now seeing a good amount of oil dripping out of the filter. Pretty sure the boosted setup is now causing more pressure and oil is dripping onto the valve cover from the filter, never did before. Worst it would do before was cake up the filter alittle, but never enough to drip.

Also, is there a good diagram of how to route all of the vacuum lines? My bypass valve on the s/c has the upper one going to the blower (stock, like it was on the 06 SS/SC) but the lower is open to atmosphere. Should that be going to something? Should my boost gauge be going to a better spot? Ill write up a new post about the vacuum setup, but this PCV thing has to be fixed because now Im leaking oil onto my engine through the filter = no bueno!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:38 AM
The lower barb on the bypass valve goes to the TB adapter on automatic cars, 5 speeds are just open to atmosphere.

As far as vac lines, there is really no right or wrong way to do it, just as long as your gauge, fuel pressure regulator, and MAP are seeing boosted air...and your EVAP and catch can system are seeing vacuum. I originally ran from the little barb on top of the manifold, through two tees, and into my MAP sensor (using stock MAP, no TMAP). One tee lead to the boost gauge, the other to the FPR. Obviously there were also couplers in there to reduce/expand hose size as needed.
My EVAP and catch can were tee'd off my throttle body adapter.

This year, I cut off the little barb on manifold, tapped and threaded it, and went with a tight 90* fitting (just for the sake of running it closer to the manifold and visually cleaning up) into a vacuum block. My boost gauge threads right into the vac black (i have the AEM digital which has a threaded probe on it), then my FPR and MAP also run out of the vac block. I'm still running the EVAP line to the TB adapter, and will be moving to catch can to the intake (pre TB) as that as been some debate whether or not running post TB is too much vacuum and actually pulling blow by right though the catch can. I didn't have any issues, but better safe than sorry.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search