Effective 3" muffler - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Effective 3" muffler
Monday, December 19, 2011 3:50 PM
As of right now my exhaust is a 2.5" downpipe transitioned into a 3" exhaust. No cat. I have an 18" glasspack on there plus the usual resonator/fart can muffler. Its a bit too loud for my liking, esp the constant drone while driving. What mufflers are there that will flow exceptionally well like a straight through design, but yet still quiet the drone down a bit?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: Effective 3
Monday, December 19, 2011 4:09 PM
you could put this in the middle, that will quiet it down

Monday, December 19, 2011 4:10 PM
Dynomax super turbo.

Monday, December 19, 2011 4:25 PM
cinny- thats really just another glasspack.
builtnboosted- Any idea of the internal design of that one? I searched a little and one site said it had a core of 2.5" on the model with 3" inlet and outlet. I figured it was a baffled design though. That one flows like a straight through?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Monday, December 19, 2011 4:35 PM
no, thats more like a real muffler for a hotrod or truck I have, but not installed, and QBE has been running it, I liked it so I picked one up too. I have the super turbo on my N/A set up with a 24" Cherrybomb, still pretty loud, I don't bother with the radio.

Monday, December 19, 2011 6:03 PM
Look at picking up a stock mustang gt 500 muffler. My friend has one on his m62 eco and it sounds stock at idle and while cruisin.
I've got the other gt500 muffler off the same car I'm just too lazy too install it.

Monday, December 19, 2011 6:59 PM
--Boosted Z-- wrote:cinny- thats really just another glasspack.
builtnboosted- Any idea of the internal design of that one? I searched a little and one site said it had a core of 2.5" on the model with 3" inlet and outlet. I figured it was a baffled design though. That one flows like a straight through?

bolded is correct., i choose not to go this route on my truck because of their design. if it was a low performance build then yes. but high performance i would not, as i am not. from my understanding from the research i have done. the more polyfill or equivilant on a straght through muffler the more it absorbs the resination. so the magnaflow above would work better than a cherry bomb. you still will want a muffler at the end also to cut back on loudness. i will see if i can find any mufflers that match what i am talking about. one other thing i have noticed that helped drone in my car was to get the tip past the bump and NOT to use a rolled tip.they seem to bounce the noise back toward the front. this was on the same muffler.

factory mufflers can work nicely as long as it is the diameter you need.

Monday, December 19, 2011 11:28 PM
I have been running those magnaflow resonators for years now on all mine because I like them so much. My cars are rather mild in the exhaust note category. The ecotec has a rather unique drone to it regardless but these magnaflow resonators soak a lot of it up. A little trick I do with all of these and to my mufflers that contain steel wool as a packer is I run water through them to get the wool too build a surface rust which further dampens the sound. Some may not prefer that method but I have been doing it for years and it works. Truth be told though if you just toss a high flow cat on there it will eat a majority of that drone right up and have little affect on your power if your willing to go that route. Of all the mufflers I have tried through the years I always come back to the Tenzo R canister style of all brands haha. For whatever reason their muffler has a great tone on the eco. A lot of it is preference though so what I like you may not and vise versa.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:42 AM
Mine is 3" in/out and expecting it to go above 400hp. I love the way it sounds now. Wont know til spring what it sounds like cruising, but it sounds bad ass at idle. My 2.5" system sounded bad ass as well and I wont ever have anything but a dynomax super turbo on my cars. Looking for one for my truck as well. More free flowing than flowmaster.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:27 PM
spintech pro street it will sound great

see ya!

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:36 PM
i did a 2.5 system on a balt ss a 18" bullet dynomax as a res and magnaflow spun cat with a 3000xl spintech sportsman and that thing sonds amazing deep no rasp at all on the freeway its almost quiet mine dosent sound as refined. http://www.spintechmufflers.com/mufflers/street-mufflers/3000-xl-sportsman-street-round-series/cat_25.html

see ya!

Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:28 AM
Lots of diffrent configurations for sure, all about taste I suppose!

Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:55 AM
Think a short one chamber muffler would add any noticable restriction?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Sunday, January 15, 2012 11:16 AM
--Boosted Z-- wrote:Think a short one chamber muffler would add any noticable restriction?

i doubt it. the straight through magnaflows listed above will give you the sound you are looking for, but they are a little pricy. I was happiest with my 3" exhaust when I had an apexi WS2 on it. if you are looking for a cheap magnaflow, part number MPE-12619, I've got one lying around that I used briefly on my cav. good luck with your build

Sunday, January 15, 2012 3:23 PM
Very nice read up. Pretty damn quiet.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
~Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.~
Sunday, January 15, 2012 4:31 PM
Mike wrote:Very nice read up. Pretty damn quiet.

Well that convinced me. I just ordered the Magnafow to replace the glasspack on there now. Thanks for everyones input.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:46 PM
I run a classic chambered resonator and hooker headers mx flow muffler. It doesnt drone much, and passes our scca under 90 db at 75 feet rule. But it sounds kind of ricy, best way to describe it is that it sounds like the fiesta wrc car - turbo noises.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:07 AM
Yah, I also have that magnaflow resonator/glasspack after my high-flow cat, and before I installed it, I was so amazed at how it removed sound!
It's a straight through design so I wasn't expecting much, but if I put it to my mouth, and yelled as loud as I could, you could barely hear anything out the other side! I was like WHHOOOOAAAAA!! It was pretty neat.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:12 PM
VTLoki wrote:Yah, I also have that magnaflow resonator/glasspack after my high-flow cat, and before I installed it, I was so amazed at how it removed sound!
It's a straight through design so I wasn't expecting much, but if I put it to my mouth, and yelled as loud as I could, you could barely hear anything out the other side! I was like WHHOOOOAAAAA!! It was pretty neat.

lol that was funny.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
~Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.~
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search