2.4L tubo cav - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4L tubo cav
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:10 AM
How hard would it be to turbo a 2001 2.4 L cavalier. Im new to turbos and four cylinders an could use as much information ad advice as possibe

Re: 2.4L tubo cav
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:28 AM
Look up all the parts first and see if its what you want to spend to do it correctly, I am guessing somewhere around 2 to 2500. This would be before tuning.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:50 AM
That's a fail sir. Did you even read any of the info.

NO ebay kit will fit 100% correctly. Most will not fit AT ALL WITH OUT MAJOR modifications.

If you do not plan on spending 2500-4000 on parts and tuning....don't even bother thinking about turbo'ing your LD9.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:01 AM
What would u recomend then
A site
A place / bussiness
ect
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:11 AM
This is the best turbo header money can buy right now.
Click Me

If you REALLY want to turbo your motor. Buy that one in the link. Then find a turbo to fit it, and go from there.

You will NEED HPTuners also for tuning. Click Me You want the Professional - $649 one.

Pretty much everything your going to need is custom...

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:10 PM
I would say 10,000 for a complete setup (having the car setup to handle the power...engine mods, suspension, tuning, traction etc.). This is in canadian currency haha...look around, there are many people running reliable setups. Even mine isn't really that reliable but once I get a head gasket to stay in the car I will be in business I must say 300whp is a little fin.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:10 PM
*fun not fin

Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:45 AM
I would say in order to do it properly, $10,000 is properly a good ball park figure.

Might be able to do it a little cheaper if you get a bunch of used parts. Power goals will also play a role in final cost.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:16 PM
I built my first turbo setup for about $1.5k. Made great power. Intercooler pipes where mild steel pipes bent at an exhaust shop, log manifold, shopped around for best deals on the other parts. Biggest downfall was it was before HPTuners, so tuning was VERY limited.

I built my second turbo setup for about $3k. The turbo itself was almost 3x the price of the first one. I did get a steal of a deal on the JMTS header, and I bought a genaric aluminum intercooler and piping kit off eBay. I went with Tial wastegate and BOV. Very nice/clean setup, for a very decent price. Ask JMarks

Thats just for a turbo setup though, like others said, you need to have a engine and trans that can hold up to the power (my first setup lasted for awhile, but w.o tuning it was a ticking time bomb).

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:57 AM
Buy a used kit, its what I did. I bought one for $650ish and all the parts are good, car it was on ran in the 12s iirc. Now I have massive amounts of money into engine, mounts,, suspension, exhaust, HPtuners, etc.

If you have a manual trans look into buying THIS kit. Brad is a good guy to deal with, has more into the kit than he is selling it for I am sure. I bought my kit from him. Plus this setup was designed to run on a stock engine. Boost levels not too high but enough to feel a difference. You will still need HPtuners to tune the car. Also since you have a 2001 you can get a 2bar map sensor, 310cc injectors, and using HPtuners flash the GM supercharger flash onto your car with a moderate level of boost...say 5psi( i think thats what the wastegate on this setup is set to) and you probably could be safe with out tuning the supercharger flash. Of course tuning the flash would yield max power and ensure no lean condition or knock is occurring.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:05 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:I built my first turbo setup for about $1.5k. Made great power. Intercooler pipes where mild steel pipes bent at an exhaust shop, log manifold, shopped around for best deals on the other parts. Biggest downfall was it was before HPTuners, so tuning was VERY limited.

My exact story too for the first setup.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search