meth nozzles - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
meth nozzles
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:41 PM
need some input on what size nozzle i will be needing to use with my meth kit. i have the coolingmist 150psi kit and no clue on what size nozzle they shipped with it. its been on the car for 3 years and i know im going to be needing a bigger nozzle, just not sure what one. I will be using the turbonetics 60-1 t4 ball bearing turbo and to start out with 12-15 psi but would like to use a 18 psi high boost level occasionally. aiming for 500 whp......

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners

Re: meth nozzles
Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:05 AM
I wouldn't run meth on a turbo setup. 500whp has been done a few times without meth injection.

FU Tuning

Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:45 AM
Why not run meth? More power is more power, and even better when it also comes with lower iats,

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:44 PM
On an efficient turbo car, one GPH per 100whp of 50/50 methanol/water is a general "get you in the ball park" flow rate. And I can tell you on a jbody pcm you DONT want to run more than you need to get some cooling effect...tuning for water meth means pulling fuel when the flow is on and advancing timing a bit, with no real failsafe if the pump dies or something happens to cause it to stop. That is why i recommend either a flow gauge or boost control fail safe system if possible. The other recommendation is to mount the nozzle BEFORE that iat sensor, so that the car knows it's getting a cooler charge.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:13 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:Why not run meth? More power is more power, and even better when it also comes with lower iats,

If the system is efficient enough no need.

FU Tuning

Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:41 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:Why not run meth? More power is more power, and even better when it also comes with lower iats,

An efficient system shouldn't need meth. Just another system to fail under heavy load and just another expense and something to up keep. If properly intercooled, properly tuned, and properly maintained, meth will not be needed.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:56 PM
meth will not be needed to meet his goal, but if you took 2 of the same setups but one had meth, you would make more power with meth than without.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 2:48 AM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:meth will not be needed to meet his goal, but if you took 2 of the same setups but one had meth and fuel and timing were aggressively tuned for it, you would make more power with meth than without.
Fixed for you. I wish i could find the article, but just slapping water/meth on with no tune adjustments will result in a loss of power on a turbo car that has been optimized w/o it. At a minimum, the some fuel needs to be pulled to compensate for the added combustibles. To really make more power on a turbo car with water/meth, you need to advance timing beyond what you would do without the water/meth. ***Roots S/C cars are kind of an exception, because the charge is so hot they can benefit greatly from water/meth injection with much more minimal tuning.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:02 AM
oldskool wrote:
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:meth will not be needed to meet his goal, but if you took 2 of the same setups but one had meth and fuel and timing were aggressively tuned for it, you would make more power with meth than without.
Fixed for you. I wish i could find the article, but just slapping water/meth on with no tune adjustments will result in a loss of power on a turbo car that has been optimized w/o it. At a minimum, the some fuel needs to be pulled to compensate for the added combustibles. To really make more power on a turbo car with water/meth, you need to advance timing beyond what you would do without the water/meth. ***Roots S/C cars are kind of an exception, because the charge is so hot they can benefit greatly from water/meth injection with much more minimal tuning.

x2

FU Tuning

Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:07 AM
Well That was implied.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search