Turbo Kit with Nitrous to the Intercooler? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo Kit with Nitrous to the Intercooler?
Monday, January 09, 2012 9:26 PM
I did search, but didn't really find anything on this topic and want to get some opinions and answers from guys here. Does nitrous spray to the intercooler of a turbo set up noticeably increase hp? Also, would it make it more efficient or would it just put that much more stress on the motor? Is it used just for turbo lag? Anyone ever done this? I ask because simply put I think nitrous is cool.

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Re: Turbo Kit with Nitrous to the Intercooler?
Monday, January 09, 2012 10:41 PM
If your thinking of the setup that sprays across the front of the intercooler? Because if you are you'd want to use co2 because it's cheaper to refill and all your doing is chilling the furface of the intercooler, none makes it into the motor. Now if you want to add nitous just add it post intercooler befor the throttle body.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:12 AM
JUCNBST wrote:If your thinking of the setup that sprays across the front of the intercooler? Because if you are you'd want to use co2 because it's cheaper to refill and all your doing is chilling the furface of the intercooler, none makes it into the motor. Now if you want to add nitous just add it post intercooler befor the throttle body.

I think he is right about what you were talking about.

Truly if you get a good intercooler this should not be needed.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:16 AM
only benefit I can think of off hand to have a co2 spray bar across your intercooler would be at the race track on a hot day while in the burnout box and rolling up to the beams. That way it has a chance to chill the intercooler off and allowing cooler charge of air while you make your pass...or you could spend a little more money on a nice intercooler like John said and forget the plumbing, wiring, soliniods, and bottle/ bracket.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:29 AM
I did this breifly with a spray bar and noticed a 5 degree difference, I have a kick ass intercooler though, lower quality intercooler may make a difference.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:59 AM
On the brother's old LNF cobalt, spraying all the way down the track, only brought the intake temps down 5-10 degrees in 80 degree weather.
He had a killer DEI / CryO2 setup. No expense spared, and he still ending up selling it. He had probably $750-900 into his.
Here is a purge vid after I finished the install. That's the uncle with the cigarette hanging out of his month. lol

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:56 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I really thought people would have made more fun of me for asking. It is just something I'm considering once I get things put together and broke in. JUCNBST that is an interesting thought about chilling for at the track which I intend to do fairly often.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:05 PM
We have quite a few locals with the intercooler sprayers. That or right before the run, they walk up with a bottle of CO2 and open the valve and spray the fmic like crazy to bring the temp down of the metal itself. From what I see it helps a ton for them by getting rid of the heat soak that occurs from the burnout. All that air getting compacted heats up the system like crazy. They do a good 30-45 second blast of co2 to cool it down enough.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:42 PM
I'm sure ill get crap here like I did on g35driver. But I built a g35 with a vortech kit and we put a Nos .spray bar on the IC. But we saw a 100whp increase on the dyno. No sorry I don't have the dyno sheet anymore. This was 4 or so years ago. To give a comparison the shop saw 60whp gains on evolution/sti's . If I hadn't seen it in person I wouldn't believe it either . So yes they make a difference .

Monday, January 16, 2012 1:42 PM
So this is what I'm looking at getting. Any opinions or comments?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NOS-16034NOS/

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Monday, January 16, 2012 4:39 PM
turboZ24cavi wrote:So this is what I'm looking at getting. Any opinions or comments?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NOS-16034NOS/

This is simply an intercooler sprayer to reduce the tempature of the intercooler surface. Will help with heat soak like the others have said but I have seen the same results by using an intercooler mister using ice water and cost a lot less. Hell Mitsubishi EVO's have them stock.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search