ARP MAIN STUD HELP (2200) - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ARP MAIN STUD HELP (2200)
Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:18 PM
So I've got an issue with my M98 oil pump not fitting do to the studs being longet than the stock main bolts. So I'm curious to know what have other people done to solve this problem. Any insight would help thanks.

Re: ARP MAIN STUD HELP (2200)
Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:48 PM
I realized the same problem with mine. The m98 oil pump isnt "cut away" enough for the stud to clear. I left it for when it comes time for assembly. im nervous about trying to sand down the oil pump for it to clear or do i use a stock main bolt just in that location. Also did you have a problem with the ARP Headstuds, in particular the 2 that hold the alternator bracket as there isnt a raised part to the stud. I had to modify the bracket for it to clear the manifold, i guess you can double nut it if worse comes to worse

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d
Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:55 PM
Ill post pics later tomorrow I got it fixed. Had to mill the hole out and make it deeper for the stud.!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:41 PM
Vinny wrote:I realized the same problem with mine. The m98 oil pump isnt "cut away" enough for the stud to clear. I left it for when it comes time for assembly. im nervous about trying to sand down the oil pump for it to clear or do i use a stock main bolt just in that location. Also did you have a problem with the ARP Headstuds, in particular the 2 that hold the alternator bracket as there isnt a raised part to the stud. I had to modify the bracket for it to clear the manifold, i guess you can double nut it if worse comes to worse

Vinny, for the alternator problem, I just ordered two longer studs from ARP custom for those two spots, so they would be long enough to hold the bracket in place. It's cheap enough, you just need to know the measurements.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:29 PM
Yeah thats what i was thinking of doing for the oil pump, ill probably mess with it tomorrow now. N yeah i was thinking about doing that for the alternator studs. Would you happen to have the size of the stud i would need?

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:09 AM
So first off the hole diameter was made bigger to clear the arp 12point nut. It measured 0.840" on the digit calipers.The depth of the original hole was milled down to 0.640 so that the arp nut would fit inside the enlarged hole. Then a 0.450" hole was milled down 0.950" to clear the stud. The issue is that going that for in makes a hole were the pressurized oil flows. To solve this a brass tube was fitted and staked over. The pressurized oil hole then had to be milled to clear away the brass tube. All and all it fits snug and doesn't rattle at all. My friend works at a machine shop. All work was done by him.

I wasn't going to run one bolt and one stud on my rear main. You can't run a shorter stud for this either. I hope this helps, my motor is now 1 step closer. Lemme know if you want to see pics of my alternator bracket also. I had to cut mine down tho because of how my wastegate is ran.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:01 AM
jonathan oliver wrote: Lemme know if you want to see pics of my alternator bracket also. I had to cut mine down tho because of how my wastegate is ran.

I'd be interested in seeing the bracket. I believe i'll need to make a similar modification if I decide to go with a log manifold.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:44 AM
I had the same issue when I did mine. I swapped all the internals from the new oil pump into the old housing and pressure cleaned it. For the alternator bracket I shaved the corner and made a custom one with that as the template. Oh and I think the oil pump that I used was the M98....

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:11 PM
The pump well not mount, m98 or not unless you enlarge the hole where the stud goes. It'll mount if your not running a stud for sure. Ill post a pic of my bracket once I take a picture of it.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:35 PM
Ok, the stock oil pump will mount with the stud there, that is what I did, and I mean the OE pump, as it has a relief there. This is what I did.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:51 PM
I'm going to buy the stock pump and check it once I get paid. I check I could just go to autozone and measure it and that would tell me if it fits or not.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:04 AM
Ummm.. not sure if that will work, I mean OE. I had my original pump to the engine and it worked, I remember the aftermarket mellings did not.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:16 AM
Here's my alternator bracket :

Monday, January 23, 2012 9:53 AM
I didn't put top nuts on the bracket. Does anyone think this is going to be a problem? I've been driving it a lot the past few months. I can't tell if there's any problems from it not having the nut to hold down the bracket.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search