Heat Exchanger Coolant Flow Direction - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Heat Exchanger Coolant Flow Direction
Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:47 PM
does it matter what direction the coolant flows? I have my plumbing plumbed just like the cobalts. I am using the stock tubes from the pump to the manifold, and from the "t" filler neck to the manifold, that comes on the cobalt. Should my coolant be going into the top or the bottom of the manifold? and is it possible for the pumps to run "backwards"? because i think mine is.

Re: Heat Exchanger Coolant Flow Direction
Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:21 PM
what makes you think its running backwards?
Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:22 PM
pictures and things i have read and seem.

it all makes it seem like the HOT coolant should be coming out of the TOP of the manifold...well my cold coolant goes into the top of the manifold.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:26 PM
shouldnt coolant that needs to be cooled flow from top to bottom simply due to physics? it makes sense that hot goes into the top and cools across the cores, then out cold...working less to cool down...but Im probably all wet on this

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:28 PM
the coolant is needing to be cool.....the air that crosses over the core that the coolant cools is what needs to be cool. its the air that gets cooled not the coolant. so it makes sense to me that you would want you coldest coolant at the last place the air would touch it...which is the bottom of the manifold.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:37 PM
I run from my coolant tank into the pump, pump to h/e, h/e to bottom of the manifold, top of manifold back to tank.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:38 PM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:I run from my coolant tank into the pump, pump to h/e, h/e to bottom of the manifold, top of manifold back to tank.

i thinking tank to pump, pump to bottom of manifold top of manifold to heat exchanger, heat exchanger back to tank.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:51 PM
Personally, I like having the h/e before the manifold...I feel if if the water is cooler going into the mani, its going to be able to transfer more heat.

And rereading your original question...for the pump being backwards, are you asking if there is a specific in/out barb? If so yes, it is designed to flow in one direction. Coolant should flow in to the pump on the barb that is on the base, and out the barb on the side, if that makes sense. There are arrows on the pump to indicate direction.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:28 AM
Mine is setup so that it goes, reservoir, pump, bottom of front mount hex, top of front hex, bottom of mani top of mani. Well, now its a dual pass but you get the picture. The coolant should always flow from the lowest point to the highest point in order to ensure that the system is able to be completely bled.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, January 26, 2012 12:43 PM
I got it. I think i am going to do the following...

tank-pump-h/e in-h/e out-lower manifold-upper manifold-tank

Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:49 PM
oh yeah, and i am pretty positive i have the polarity of my pump backwards right now. i am pretty sure it is running backwards causing my entire system to run backwards...wonder if IAT's would be lower if it was going the right way.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:38 PM
It wont really flow much at all if wired backwards. Just a double check the inlet is inline with the body of the pump and the outlet is the one hanging off to the side.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:42 PM
yeah my iats are low still and whatever...so maybe i just plumbed different...or maybe i am seeing or visualizing things wrong...i dunno!!!

Friday, January 27, 2012 4:36 AM
EvoFire wrote:..wonder if IAT's would be lower if it was going the right way.

considering you are in AZ, where most of us are in different cooler weather climates, you'll likely see a negligible difference. much like you'll get more hp w/ solid motor mounts vs stock. by all means run a comparison for a week or so and let us know.

this is the start of my signature: have you read the RULES yet?
my carDomain updated 6/11/10 Forged and Supercharged

Monday, January 30, 2012 11:08 AM
maybe the h/e before the tank so i can add ice to the tank and the water will be even cooler going into the manifold.

Monday, January 30, 2012 11:59 AM
You'll have a hell of a time getting the air out of the intake manifold.

Sunday, February 05, 2012 9:11 PM
dualpass??
post pics of your setup

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 10:00 AM
well i played around a bit last night and i am happy to report that my pump is functioning correctly, and my coolant is indeed flowing in the proper direction.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search