Oil and Boost - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Oil and Boost
Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:23 PM
CaliforniaDomestics wrote:If you are just reading oil pressure for the sake of your engine I would recommend sampling it from the center oil galley on the left side on the block (facing the front of the vehicle) directly under the intake manifold (Just below the left balance shaft). Depending on what gauge you are using and the sender associated with it you may have difficulty fitting the sender under the SCer intake manifold for a direct galley sample. You may need to do a remote hookup but again I have no idea what gauge setup you are using as some of the digital ones have small senders (AEM for example). Another thing to keep in mind is that your average 2 1/16" oil pressure gauge is usually limited to 100 psi and you will see as high as 125 on that port when cold. There are several gauge companies out there that have oil gauges and senders that will go over 125psi.

Me personally I take readings from that port and the head port simultaneously but I monitor the head port in order to keep an eye on when the pressures drop to a level I feel comfortable with for turbo safety I would continue running the same 5w30 as you have been except perhaps dump the Penzoil. I have never been a fan of how liquidy it is right out of the bottle but again that's another debate that will likely never come to any real resolution.

sounds good. I will give this a try. i have been wanting to move it to clean up the bay a bit anyway. so ill take a look as see what kind of room i have. Ill see if i can get some ss braided line and remote mount the sender somewhere else. I am due for an oil change here soon. I dont wanna switch to full synthetic. would Mobil 1 conventional be ok? or what brand would you recommend for a dino oil?

Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:07 PM
What's the reason for avoiding synthetics? I prefer Mobil 1 but it's up to you.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:38 PM
ive just heard that switching at such high milage isnt a good idea? im pushing 130k miles

Thursday, May 03, 2012 5:11 PM
Well I did some testing last night. I let my car cool for about an hour, then started it and let it idle for about 10 minutes see what the OP would be warm at idle. All other engine temps were good. Let it idle and watched the gauges, and it was going between 9-12 on my digital gauge. Shut the car off, swapped to a mechanical gauge and let it idle for another 10 minutes. The gauge never dropped below 22ish. So this is proof to me that the sender I have for my digital gauge is not up to par. Good news is, that I already have a new sender and gauge, and will be swapping them out hopefully this weekend. I am still going to run a different oil, just have not decided which oil.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search