Tired of my oil issues - Advice? - Page 4 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Tired of my oil issues - Advice?
Sunday, November 09, 2008 12:47 AM
...it's literally that easy? oh man, Brandon where the hell were you 2 days ago lol

Sunday, November 09, 2008 11:10 AM
I didn't read this whole thread, instead i just did a quick search for a post i made last time this topic came up.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=135291&t=135258#135291

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Sunday, November 09, 2008 1:03 PM
Jeremy, I saw that thread through my searches before I posted this. I like your system for it's function in vaccum but don't like that it doesn't function under boost. I'm doing something a little different from that but in the same concept.

Thanks for the link tho!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Sunday, November 09, 2008 1:22 PM
brandon where did you run the vac line from the tapped pvc housing to?

Sunday, November 09, 2008 1:29 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:Jeremy, I saw that thread through my searches before I posted this. I like your system for it's function in vaccum but don't like that it doesn't function under boost. I'm doing something a little different from that but in the same concept.

Thanks for the link tho!

-Chris-

Then run the hose from the air/oil spearator to the intake pipe between your turbo and air filter just like stock turbo motors have. Run a catch can in-line to collect oil vapors. With two systems you'll have positive crankcase ventilation at WOT and while the intake manifold is under vacuum.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Monday, December 15, 2008 10:08 PM
Ok after reading this thread I'm a little confused about what the solution should be on a boosted eco.

What PJ points out makes sense, he said he saw vacuum at the fitting on the valve cover? So I'm guessing this means gasses should be venting back through and out the head into the intake manifold as one would expect in a PCV system. If that's the case where is the PCV valve? If there isn't a PCV valve then maybe under boost we are effectively reversing the system and thus pressurizing the valve cover fitting? I doubt this because I haven't seen that kind of boost leak.

I had assumed for the past year there wasn't a true PCV system on the ecotec and that the valve cover was just vented. I have mine hooked up to catchcan < One Way Valve < Pre-Turbo Intake.

After a year I have only a very small amount of oil residue in my catch can.

So what is going on?

Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Sunday, January 04, 2009 5:04 PM
Has there been any progress on this ???

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LD9 for Life
Tuesday, January 06, 2009 8:08 AM
Would the same issue apply to someone with a 2.3 head on a 2.4 block??? The 2.3 head does not have the PCV provision so it would cover up the PCV hole in the block

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LD9 for Life
Saturday, April 04, 2009 9:48 PM
I have an idea... Please let me know if this wont work.

If you pull the oil dipstick out wouldn't that allow for crankcase pressure to escape?

If I am not mistaken the issue causing the turbos to fail prematurely is positive crankcase pressure is ending up inside the center housing of the turbo and hindering proper oiling of the turbo. So if you remove the dipstick from the hole it should vent the pressure.

Also what did GM do with the 2.0 turbo cars? Or even the Saab turbo Ecotec cars? How does there PCV system look?

Thanks
Darryn

2004 Cavalier coupe, 5 speed, White
GO
Hahn Stage 2, Eagle rods, Wiseco 8.9, SS Valves, Dual valve springs, valve job, Ti seats and retainers
spec stage 3, Fidanza 7.5lb flywheel, Short Shifter
Slotted and dimpled rotors, EBC green stuff
SHOW
VIS EVO CF hood, KOBE KAM 5 17", Nexxen N3000, Ebay Black tails and filler, 5% tint
Gold line springs, Tokiko D-spec struts
ELECTRONICS
Kenwood in-dash DVD and Navigation, single Kicker CompVR
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2974835
Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:18 PM
I'm working on my 2.2 turbo project and reading a lot about PCV systems.

On the 2.2 head, there is a small port that pulls vapor from under the valve cover and routes into the intake manifold gasket area (cylinders 2 & 3). So under idle you've got full vacuum pulling out vapors and burning them.

You have many options here for your set-up.

1. use a check valve so only under vacuum it will pull from vapors, under boost it's sealed off. But now when you're under boost you need your catch can vented to atmosphere or connected to your turbo intake so the blow-by can properly vent and your catch can should not connect to your intake since it's not under vacuum.

2. You can take both PCV fittings to a catch can vented to atmosphere - but now you don't really have anything vacuum assisted pulling the gasses and helping your HP numbers.

3. Using bernoulli principle connect that catch can to your exhaust system (a cool location) (at a small angle similar to a wastegate so flow goes past not into your tube) the exhaust gasses flowing past the opening will pull a vacuum to your can. You will need to occassionally dump the can or you can run a drain back to your pan for excess oil.

4. Keep searching under PCV in the forums you'll find more...
Monday, February 06, 2012 9:45 PM
So, what did you eventually end up doing? Any pics?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search