Wastegate size? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wastegate size?
Saturday, February 11, 2012 6:35 AM
Well while my ld9 is being built im going to finish piecing together my turbo kit. I going to be running the gt-35r i just got from John317 my hp goal is at least 350whp my question is what size tial wastegate and bov should i run? Im guessing a 44mm wastegate and a 50mm bov also anybody know a good site were i can get them from im always worried about buying clones and not the real things.

http://www.fquick.com/Caboose73

Re: Wastegate size?
Saturday, February 11, 2012 6:49 AM
44 is fine, buy your ish from a reputable place like atpturbo.com

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:58 AM
Now would i be able to get away with using a 38mm cause its almost 100 bucks cheaper and id hate to waste money that can be used for other parts when i dont have to.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:13 AM
What boost level do you plan to run? I ask because you really only have boost creep issues with small wastegates when running a larger turbo on low boost, not necessarily higher boost. 38 is still a good size and I would imagine would be enough considering internal gates are usually around 22mm and are sometimes able to keep up with 350whp. Even a ported one that will for sure keep up will still usually be under 38. Of course the bigger, the better. But it prob won't be needed for what you want.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:16 AM
Yeah the 38mm should be fine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen other guys run like 20 psi boost using the 38mm wg.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:06 AM
turboZ24cavi wrote:Yeah the 38mm should be fine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen other guys run like 20 psi boost using the 38mm wg.

High boost isn't usually the problem even though you'd think so since its moving more air then. The problem usually happens with a large turbo at low boost. Sounds odd, but it happened to me and after switching wastegates 3 times, redoing vac lines, swapping springs, and a ton of research that's how it turns out. With too small of a wastegate and a larger turbo I would have no problem holding high boost levels, but low boost was a no go as it would always creep. Lots of searching let me to believe my wastegate was too small for lower boost. After changing things around to a larger one, no problems at all. A lot of internal gated guys have that problem with bigger turbo's as well so they need to either only run high boost (so most of the gasses are forced out the turbine rather than the wastegate hole) or port the gate hole. But I'm pretty sure a 38 would be fine with a gt35 at low or high boost.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Saturday, February 11, 2012 5:52 PM
to start with probably no more then 10 while i break in the engine then after that 20-25 what ever it take 2 get 350-400whp. I have a p&p head 1mm over sized valves and my cams will either be the set i already have at Lift INTAKE 260* - 377 EXHAUST 268* - 375 or HO cams haven't completely made up my mind yet.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:16 PM
--Boosted Z-- wrote:
turboZ24cavi wrote:Yeah the 38mm should be fine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen other guys run like 20 psi boost using the 38mm wg.

High boost isn't usually the problem even though you'd think so since its moving more air then. The problem usually happens with a large turbo at low boost. Sounds odd, but it happened to me and after switching wastegates 3 times, redoing vac lines, swapping springs, and a ton of research that's how it turns out. With too small of a wastegate and a larger turbo I would have no problem holding high boost levels, but low boost was a no go as it would always creep. Lots of searching let me to believe my wastegate was too small for lower boost. After changing things around to a larger one, no problems at all. A lot of internal gated guys have that problem with bigger turbo's as well so they need to either only run high boost (so most of the gasses are forced out the turbine rather than the wastegate hole) or port the gate hole. But I'm pretty sure a 38 would be fine with a gt35 at low or high boost.

Oh I see. Good info to keep in mind. I've learned a lot from guys like you that have already done trial and error and figuring and tinkering and etc. Thanks.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:55 PM
Honestly on a bigger turbo trying to keep boost low i would do a 44mm plus if you look to run more power in the future you'll never have to upgrade or modify your manifold for a bigger gate. plus you could pick up a nice used 44mm for 225+shipping...

Buy my stuff!!! CLICK

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:14 PM
Boosted2point4 wrote:Honestly on a bigger turbo trying to keep boost low i would do a 44mm plus if you look to run more power in the future you'll never have to upgrade or modify your manifold for a bigger gate. plus you could pick up a nice used 44mm for 225+shipping...
do you have any pics of this wastegate and what spring comes with it?

Sunday, February 12, 2012 6:23 PM

Buy my stuff!!! CLICK

Monday, February 13, 2012 4:10 AM
What psi spring does it have?

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:05 AM
Well after taking a closer look my log manifold wastegate port is only 38mm im going 2 c if i can port it out but im not sure that's going to work case its all a cast piece.If by some chance you have it when i upgrade to one of fetters manifolds then ill defiantly take it off your hands.

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:54 PM
lol, i am "fetter", there is one of my manifolds forsale in classifieds. but i ended up selling the gate, but i can get you any tial wastegate you need new.

Buy my stuff!!! CLICK

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:03 AM
Caboose73 wrote:Well after taking a closer look my log manifold wastegate port is only 38mm im going 2 c if i can port it out but im not sure that's going to work case its all a cast piece.If by some chance you have it when i upgrade to one of fetters manifolds then ill defiantly take it off your hands.

who is this fetter you speak of? ^ that guy great prices and work.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:38 AM
My bad ive always seen great reviews of your manifold never knew your screen name lol. Well i plan on contacting you later about your manifold.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search