Ecotec + M62 + Phenolic spacers = bolt sizes? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec + M62 + Phenolic spacers = bolt sizes?
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:29 PM
Okay, so I'm trying to figure out if anyone has gotten both Phenolic spacers from OEM and properly sized the bolts. I want to make sure Ive got the exact safe size, something that fully threads into the block (and isnt stressing the bolts from using ones that are too short).
I was told the LSJ IM's were M8 shoulders and the L61 head is M6 threading. So the shoulder bolts would be M8/M6's.
If spacers are 8mm each (for example) and the length of the M8 shoulder without spacers for the IM bolts is 50mm and 10mm, then it'll be 58mm and 18mm lengths. Then the factory thread (M6) length shouldnt change (whatever it is).
There are 7 bolts total for the IM. Then 4 for the blower. So I need to order 11 bolts (and probably a few spares).

link to bolts: http://www.mcmaster.com/#shoulder-screws/=gdah7y

thanks for any help guys!

BLUE: blower bolts
RED: longer IM bolts
GREEN: shorter IM bolts

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Re: Ecotec + M62 + Phenolic spacers = bolt sizes?
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:49 PM
I reused the stock bolts for the blower to manifold spacer and had no issues and if you get a bolt that has a shoulder slightly more than needed you could always use a washer to take up the space.

Re: Ecotec + M62 + Phenolic spacers = bolt sizes?
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:58 PM
I didnt even think of going bigger and using a washer! So with the Phenolic spacer on the blower, you were able to use the stock bolts without any issues...thats good to know!
So with the head to IM, I just need to figure out the necessary thread length/pitch into the head (I dont have a thread gauge..may need to stop by harbor freight!), then find some bolts that are the factory length + the spacer thickness. I ordered the spacers on the 18th...hopefully those come in this week.

hopefully I can just pick up some bolts then after I figure out the dimensions required, because some sites may special build and could take weeks to ship (i have 2 weeks before install).

thanks for the input!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search