ZZP S3 H/E mounting brackets wont align - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ZZP S3 H/E mounting brackets wont align
Saturday, February 25, 2012 1:34 PM
So I removed my bumper and have everything ready to install. I go to mount the h/e and the damn welded brackets that are angled (on the ends) that mount directly to the factory bumper support bolts, wont match up. Its about 1/2" off.
Anyone run into this with the ZZP brackets? Id rather not tap up into the bumper support because its a lot more work and I'd have to hack up the support. Maybe I should get ZZP to send another one out....but the problem is I am installing this next coming weekend, or the next at the latest and cant afford them to delay shipping.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this happen?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Re: ZZP S3 H/E mounting brackets wont align
Saturday, February 25, 2012 2:52 PM
Those are made for the cobalts and not our cavs.......

Going to have to get creative my man.
Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:18 PM
when we installed ours we simply were able to modify the current zzp holes to accomadate the cavs bolt pattern. and as stated they are designed for the balts not the js. very easy resolution.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 5:43 PM
got it on and secured finally..... i actually modified the bumper support. I basically extended the holes inward on both sides, both front and back of bumper support. then the h/e mounted right up!
I did also have to cut a lot of the bottom of my bumper out, but you cant tell unless you get underneath the car...

I ran out of sunlight to finish the lower motor mount, but Ill do that tomorrow if i can figure out what size it actually is. I thought it was 5/8ths but I stripped one socket and the impact 5/8 just started stripping the damn bolts themselves..they are on there GOOD (yes I used a gallon of WD40 lol).

Saturday, February 25, 2012 5:56 PM
We just bent the brackets to our liking.

FU Tuning

Saturday, February 25, 2012 5:59 PM
Toss those standard tools in the corner, every newer car(i forget the crossover year) is metric. BTW, that bolt is a 15mm. I just pulled my lower mount off a few time this past few weeks and all i used was a 15mm socket and a 1/2" ratchet.

You can almost tear apart a whole J-body with just a 7mm, 10mm, 13mm, and a 15mm socket. There are a few 18mm, 19mm, and 21mm bolts.

And yes, the S/3 isnt a direct bolt on, but it is close. I just drilled new holes threw my bumper support.

Error: Sig not found.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:16 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Toss those standard tools in the corner, every newer car(i forget the crossover year) is metric. BTW, that bolt is a 15mm. I just pulled my lower mount off a few time this past few weeks and all i used was a 15mm socket and a 1/2" ratchet.

You can almost tear apart a whole J-body with just a 7mm, 10mm, 13mm, and a 15mm socket. There are a few 18mm, 19mm, and 21mm bolts.

And yes, the S/3 isnt a direct bolt on, but it is close. I just drilled new holes threw my bumper support.

Haha dont forget the odd ball 30mm axle killer lol.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:29 PM
5.5mm

Saturday, February 25, 2012 7:26 PM
Wait... parts not made for our cars dont just bolt on? I had to say it

Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:11 PM
Lol derick

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:32 PM
alright thanks, the impacts I have are all standard..i need a metric set of impact sockets (deep sockets im finding are almost a necessity too).
yeah ive noticed 7/10/15 on almost everything. I think 21 was the shock mount bolts, but i cant remember.

I need to grab some washers for the injectors for spacing just in case, and the fittings for the oil pressure sending unit, but i dont know the size of adapter to get. Might also pick up some extra 3/4" black hose for the coolant routing, because I dont think ZZP sent enough.
Also need the bolts for the IM but I need to measure them first, I wish those damn OEM phenolic spacers would get here some time soon.. ordered them like the 17th or 18th.

Also noticed while I was under there, my belt is about at the end of its life as its old as hell, got a lot of cracks in it. But luckily in a week or two Im putting a new belt on anyways!

Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:34 PM
John...who the hell is Derick?
I FORGOT the stupid parts are not for our cars...I had the damn thing sitting in my dining room on the table for a week or two since I ordered it...by the time I finish, I might as well call my car a Cavabalt with all the parts from one lol

Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:41 PM
Lol

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Sunday, February 26, 2012 7:09 PM
got it on, snug and fit great after modifying the bumper support. basically extended the front and rear of the support inward .5" on either side since tota it was about an inch off from the holes. (then of course had to cut the bottom of the bumper slightly)

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:43 PM
looks good cant wait to get my s3 installed.

Sig thanks to bxmobkrazey on gmscf.com
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search