Turbo Tech Racing manifold, UPGRADED! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo Tech Racing manifold, UPGRADED!
Monday, March 12, 2012 6:23 PM
I just picked my TTR turbo manifold up from my machinist. I had him weld on a V-Band wastegate flange and do some other nice tricks that people here might be interested in.

First off, I'm going to start by saying that in NO WAY am I bashing the quality of the TTR manifold. Off the shelf it is a great piece, with quality welds, nice thick flanges, and a well thought out design. HOWEVER, I'm the type that can't leave well enough alone, and always am looking for ways to improve the performance or function of every piece that I can.

Starting off, the TTR manifold has no provisions for an external wastegate. Seeing as how every setup is different, and in no way could they possibly accommodate every single variance, that's OK with me. I decided on a 38MM V-Band style wastegate, so I had my machinist weld it on for me.

Next, I had him smooth out the transitions from the runners to the turbo flange, eliminating every little ridge, sharp edge, and protrusion. It might not make much of a difference, but every little bit helps.

And lastly, I had him CNC port the flange and runners to match the gasket and my cylinder head. There is nothing wrong with the manifold as is, since the exhaust ports in the manifold and a factory head both look like this.

BUT, the factory exhaust gasket has port holes that look like this.

I don't have a comparison image, but I can say that the difference between the stock port size and the exhaust gasket is phenomenal. There is at least 1/8" bigger port size difference between the two. So now instead of being oval, the manifold ports and runners have been CNC ported to look like this.

And now for the REALLY nice part of it all, and it may interest some of the people on here. As I said before, my machinist CNC ported the runners and flange....

.... AND he saved the CNC program file. So if there is interest, he can now CNC port ALL EcoTec exhaust manifolds, headers, ect!!!

So if there is interest here for CNC porting, let me know. Since my manifold was the prototype for all of the machine work, I have fronted a large chunk of the cost and R&D of getting this done, meaning if someone were to have my machinist do this, it will be reasonably cheap. It would make a world of difference in flow, especially if you already had a ported head. I don't have exact figures, but we figured something in the neighborhood of 20% increased flow over stock port sizing.

Questions, comments, and criticism all appreciated.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Re: Turbo Tech Racing manifold, UPGRADED!
Monday, March 12, 2012 7:02 PM
If only i had an Eco...
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:28 AM
Very nice roofy!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:34 PM
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:30 PM
perfect, and to hear the LD9, factories and also the price which would be his greetings

Simplemente uno más de ustedes
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:57 PM
Arturo Sandoval wrote:perfect, and to hear the LD9, factories and also the price which would be his greetings

Su traducción es difícil de entender. ¿Se preguntan si puede hacerlo a su motor?

Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:54 PM
Roofy wrote:
Arturo Sandoval wrote:perfect, and to hear the LD9, factories and also the price which would be his greetings

Su traducción es difícil de entender. ¿Se preguntan si puede hacerlo a su motor?

what??
Thursday, March 29, 2012 3:55 PM
Vinnie wrote:
Roofy wrote:

what??

Dude speaks Spanish, and his translation is off. I was asking if he was wondering about having a manifold like this done for his engine.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search