LD9 TVS Build - Page 4 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LD9 TVS Build
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:16 AM
i really wish this was on an eco but man this is a sweet build!

is the HTV1320 the only one that will fit on our cars or can you use the larger 1900/2300 models if your motor could actually support it? They are so much bigger and the 2300 would actually surpass the displacement of our engines haha!! so with mine already being a very tight fit (almost hits the sensor ontop of the blower by a hair) its going to require a custom hood. As far as the sensor to block off the top hole, I know you can also use a metal bolt cap and put it in upside down to fill the hole on the blower instead of having a 'dead' sensor plugged in...

are you going with the Wbody Racetronix Fuel Pump? Thats what I went with + the harness and Im happy..good quality. You just have an issue with the fuel pump canister fitting into the pump housing unless you use something to make it fit snug...the Fbody ones have a sleeve that makes it easier to keep it from moving around. Youll see what I mean when you go to install the pump lol...

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:27 AM
blu04DD wrote:
is the HTV1320 the only one that will fit on our cars or can you use the larger 1900/2300 models if your motor could actually support it?

As for a direct bolt on, the HTV1320 LSJ is the only one that will fit. But with our limited room due to blower placement i highly doubt you can physically fit a 1900 or 2300 in the car. The 1320 is already close to touching the fuel rail and radiator support.

Error: Sig not found.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:16 PM
blu04DD wrote:i really wish this was on an eco but man this is a sweet build!

is the HTV1320 the only one that will fit on our cars or can you use the larger 1900/2300 models if your motor could actually support it? They are so much bigger and the 2300 would actually surpass the displacement of our engines haha!! so with mine already being a very tight fit (almost hits the sensor ontop of the blower by a hair) its going to require a custom hood. As far as the sensor to block off the top hole, I know you can also use a metal bolt cap and put it in upside down to fill the hole on the blower instead of having a 'dead' sensor plugged in...

are you going with the Wbody Racetronix Fuel Pump? Thats what I went with + the harness and Im happy..good quality. You just have an issue with the fuel pump canister fitting into the pump housing unless you use something to make it fit snug...the Fbody ones have a sleeve that makes it easier to keep it from moving around. Youll see what I mean when you go to install the pump lol...

what have you done to the pump to make it snug. i have the wbody pump and its really too loose in the housing.....

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:37 PM
Magik1109 wrote:what have you done to the pump to make it snug. i have the wbody pump and its really too loose in the housing.....

nothing..I despise the idea of pulling the gas tank down again for a 4th time to remedy it lol...long story but i kept breaking the fuel pump assembly plastic pieces... but if i were to pad it, id get something that wont disolve in fuel and just 'wedge' the canister in there. also, the filter on the bottom is a PITA too, it dont fit lol.

but a good pump and seemed to be a good quality..only thing is the need to prime it at least once...if i turn it over, turn off the car, then try to turn it over again shortly after it wants to die really easy without a quick assistance of the throttle once or twice..

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:22 PM
Quote:

Need to look at rotor speed to determine how much CFM it will be moving... then factor in resistance and size of the engine it is going into... to say that X size pulley will make Y boost is kinda a ricer talking...

Thats what I was thinking, the graph on page 2 shows inlet volume flow vs pressure ratio but I don't know the gear ratio between pulley speed and rotor speed. I am talking with smoothflowpulleys.com on making me a 3.5" pulley with one less rib to match our belts. The plan is to run that as a starting point for break-in and trouble shooting as its the largest pulley recommended for cobalt guys to run, then I will start downsizing the pulley if needed to reach my goals.

Blu04DD as Tinkles said it doesn't clear the hood on a cobalt and would require customization. But the TVS 1320 is making high 300's and at least one person on CobaltSS.net has made 400+whp, so there isn't a need to go bigger. Food for thought, the 03 Cobra supercharger upgrade kit made by Whipple pushed 2.3L per revolution and that was good for 600+ whp on a V8. While the TVS is a different type of supercharger it stands to reason the 2300 is too big for a 4banger.

Quote:

I thought the sleeve on the F-body pumps was causing fitment issues and people were having to cut the ribs out of their fuel cups but the w-body pump didn't have the sleeve and was a better fit. First I have heard of it being not snug enough in the fuel cup.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:13 PM
i would have prefer to have to cut the ribs and have it fit snug then now having it loose in the housing and trying to figure something out to make it fit snug....

Saturday, May 26, 2012 11:59 AM
Anyone interested in custom pulleys for the Harrop and our belt size? I am trying to arrange something with smoothflowpulleys.com and if we can get a few more people interested it would make it worth their time. Tinkles is the only one I know that has a Harrop but thought I would throw it out there. I know custom pulleys without the rib change are $60 each, still waiting to hear back if he can/will make a pulley for our belt and the price.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 9:17 AM
I know wizard off of eco forums was thinking about a custom pulley
Sunday, May 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Making the custom size isn't an issue, its if I want to match the pulley and belt or just be satisfied with a 6 rib pulley and 5 rib belt.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 6:37 PM
Shawn McKenzie wrote: just be satisfied with a 6 rib pulley and 5 rib belt.

We have been doing that for years and as far as i know there havent been any issues.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 8:42 PM
So the GM eco kit comes with a 6 rib pulley? What belt comes with the GM eco and ld9 kits?

Any other bits about the GM kits I should know? I have never seen one and little things like that are new to me.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 11:59 PM
ive seen no issues with cutting a rib. my only issue is fitting the stage2 belt with both phenolic spacers. ive had to come up with my own way to take up slack, like putting an idler pulley on the tensioner instead because its slightly larger. i just know to keep a spare belt sitting in the trunk

i would love to be able to have 400whp in a cavalier with a supercharger...i know from expereince my supercharger has benefits over the turbos in my hp range...i have instant hp and ALWAYS get the jump on them..but i want the power to HOLD that lead after a gear or two...then again im starting to get into AutoX and country side canyon carving and the s/c helps there too!

Monday, May 28, 2012 12:02 AM
btw...speaking of having a TVS2300..should i think about upgrading? think he'll do an even swap??
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/2961896006.html

Monday, May 28, 2012 12:05 AM
I just went ahead and bought a 3.5" pulley. From the responses I got here and reading other places I was over thinking things and making a deal out of nothing. Hopefully tuning will go well and I can step down to the 3.15", or go even lower.

Monday, May 28, 2012 12:09 AM
nice!
this is going to be a badass build...cant wait to see it running

Monday, May 28, 2012 10:59 AM
To clarify on my last post, by over thinking I meant the whole 6 rib pulley vs 5 rib belt.

The last major dilemma I have is still what to do about my clutch. I have a brand new Bully stage 3, 6 puck clutch but I am afraid of it not holding the power when I downsize my pulley. The bully stage3 is rated for 100% more torque then factory and is recommended for racing and forced induction applications. Can factory clutches hold 180-200 wheel tq, if so this might be another thing I am over thinking.

Monday, May 28, 2012 12:42 PM
I still have my stock clutch in my eco and it is holding fine.

Monday, May 28, 2012 6:52 PM
After talking with Tinkles I realized with my setup I probably won't need a longer belt because I am putting the supercharger pulley in place of the A/C compressor so the belt path is not going to increase. Judging by the size of the A/C compressor pulley the belt path might be less. So the need to go for a 6 rib belt for the longer length might be mute in my setup.

Monday, May 28, 2012 11:15 PM
Anyone have the PN for the rotator(s)? My friend at the local auto parts store couldn't find them and I can't find them on rockauto.com.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:22 PM
Can a TMAP sensor be used on a LD9?
PN TMAP sensor - #90423637 and the connector - #88988320

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 10:04 PM
Forgot to add the rest of my update.

My 3.5" pulley from smoothflowpulleys.com came in, going to run it at first for testing/tune and hopefully downsizing later.
Dropped the last of my parts off at the powder coater today, should have them back in the next few weeks.
I am also meeting with the few shops in town that would even consider tuning a cavalier, hopefully I will get that locked down soon as well.

Crazy to see the light at the end of the tunnel after 2+ years of research and parts gathering

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 6:33 AM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:Can a TMAP sensor be used on a LD9?
PN TMAP sensor - #90423637 and the connector - #88988320

Yes as long as you can find a place for it to be mounted and get a reading post charger.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:54 PM
I see what you mean, researching is much easier on my laptop instead of my phone. I did order both parts so hopefully it will work out.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:27 PM
Another parts update:

Already mentioned it but here is a pic:

FMIC came in this week, thanks JR! Pulley is for size comparison.

Picked up my HO manifold from the powder coaters, can't really see it in the pic but its a textured flat red. The timing cover and IDI cover are in this red with the timing housing and the cam towers in gloss black. Thinking of doing my Vibrant strut tower bar in this red so everything matches.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:03 PM
Looking good!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search