cooling issue - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cooling issue
Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:27 PM
Anyone ever experience an issue with over heating after a hard pull under boost? I mean a serious issue even at night when its 40 degrees. I keep getting air in my cooling system and for some reason i think that the boost is some how getting into the coolant. theres no coolant in the oil or no oil in the coolant so this really has me stumped and its getting really annoying. Ive bled the system 3 times now and the thermostat is brand new. A few days ago i blew my upper rad hose due to a small slice in it and it popped so i replaced it and ever since then it over heats. It wont over heat driving normal or sitting at idle but does when i start boosting more than say 10 psi.

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners

Re: cooling issue
Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:51 PM
How do you bleed the system? Idk how you do it on your LD9 but with my eco I always bleed the car with the front end up on jackstands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, March 30, 2012 12:16 AM

Friday, March 30, 2012 4:18 AM
JUCNBST wrote:How do you bleed the system? Idk how you do it on your LD9 but with my eco I always bleed the car with the front end up on jackstands.

This is what I do. Get the front end up as high as possible, then run the heater on full blast.

Friday, March 30, 2012 4:21 AM
^YAR

Friday, March 30, 2012 5:47 AM
I have never had to truly bleed any Jbody motor. I fill them, leave the cap off and start it, let the temp come up for a while and top of the water, then put cap on, call it done.

FU Tuning

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:55 AM
I've bled this thing before in the past with no issues. it's only been giving me this issue since I've turbo charged it. and it only does it when I go into boost. I can drive the car for hours without going into boost and no over heating.

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Friday, March 30, 2012 7:19 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:I have never had to truly bleed any Jbody motor. I fill them, leave the cap off and start it, let the temp come up for a while and top of the water, then put cap on, call it done.

same here fortunately....

Friday, March 30, 2012 7:30 AM
im starting to wonder if the machine shop torqued my head down tight enough.

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Friday, March 30, 2012 9:31 AM
Does your coolant look contaminated?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, March 30, 2012 9:55 AM
not really

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Friday, March 30, 2012 10:41 AM
Do you have a water cooled turbo?
I ran into this when I ran my water lines from my heater core thru my turbo.
It choked the system, because the turbo inlet and outlet are terribly small.
I had to add two -12AN tees into my system, so the main coolant system was uninterupted.

Does this apply to your situation?

Friday, March 30, 2012 10:41 AM
Is your turbo water cooled? Where is the temp sensor in relation to the turbo coolant lines(if it is water cooled)?

Error: Sig not found.

Friday, March 30, 2012 12:25 PM
its oil cooled

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Friday, March 30, 2012 12:33 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:I have never had to truly bleed any Jbody motor. I fill them, leave the cap off and start it, let the temp come up for a while and top of the water, then put cap on, call it done.

same here fortunately....

me 3

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:49 PM
Publikdstrbnce wrote:its oil cooled

Well there goes my theory. I was thinking your temp sensor was seeing the coolant fresh from the hot turbo before it had a chance to cool down, but since it is not water cooled this obviously isnt the answer.

Error: Sig not found.

Sunday, April 01, 2012 7:48 PM
ive narrowed the issue down to the head lifting and pressurizing the cooling system when i go into boost. im currently in the middle of a tear down and retorque. ill let you guys know how it turns out come tomorrow.

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search