boost spike - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
boost spike
Sunday, April 01, 2012 9:04 PM
How bad is it to spike i hold at 8psi but spike to 12

Question 2

A ecotec with m62 can boost like 12 psi i know they move more air than my lil 16g turbo could i bump my psi up and be safe

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****

Re: boost spike
Sunday, April 01, 2012 9:52 PM
you'll be safer replacing the 16g with a TVS setup, so yes, its possible to get more psi.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Sunday, April 01, 2012 9:54 PM
Lol not wut i asked thats another story im talking about wut i got now

Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:18 PM
im pretty sure the 16g outflows the m62.... theres a difference between spiking and creeping... if its just a random spike like u smash the pedal and it spikes 12 then drops to 8 thats not good... well unless your tunes great but either way spikes are bad... if it holds 8 psi and climbs up to 12 thats creep.... its still not good but there is a difference lol.... is it just wastegate pressure or are you running a boost controller?
Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:24 PM
Yes but i notice it varies on wut gear im in ill see 8 or 10 and thats creeping and spike at 12 would down shifting cause spike or wut causes it i asked all my boosted friends and they said every turbo spikes

Monday, April 02, 2012 2:52 PM
john wrote:Yes but i notice it varies on wut gear im in ill see 8 or 10 and thats creeping and spike at 12 would down shifting cause spike or wut causes it i asked all my boosted friends and they said every turbo spikes

Not true at all. Almost every Turbo has the ability creep depending on your setup. But a proper setup should have virtually none to little creep. Also, be sure that you are getting the terminology right, because they are very different things.

"Creep" is boost at or near your wastegate level, and then slowly climbing higher, usually more in higher gears. More than likely caused by a small exhaust or wastegate not evacuating fast or efficient enough. Its a fairly common problem on Mitsubishi turbos, especially with the factory internal wastegate. Porting the wastegate opening and smoothing and blending the transition in the exhaust housing usually alleviates alot of this problem. You can also upgrade to a larger external wastegate as well to get rid of creep.

"Spike" on the other hand is the sudden onset of boost alot higher than your wastegate is set at. As to be expected, this is alot more dangerous than gradual creep. It can be caused by a horribly undersized wastegate, something binding or defective in the wastegate, , a defective or poorly designed boost controller or a blockage in the wastegate dump tube.

And for what it's worth, PSI for PSI, a turbo will make more power than an equivalent supercharger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 02, 2012 2:56 PM

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, April 02, 2012 4:58 PM
Ok the creep part sounds right i creep to 10psi in 4th gear
I adjusted my boost controller and have not seen spike again
I am using a external waste gate and hollman boost controller

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search