LD9 and boost questions - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LD9 and boost questions
Thursday, April 05, 2012 9:18 PM
Just out of curiosity, whats the max amount of boost thats been ran throught an ld9 and what size turbo was it and what internals?

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners

Re: LD9 and boost questions
Thursday, April 05, 2012 9:32 PM
jay van comes to mind as the poster boy for this exact question.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, April 06, 2012 1:13 PM
I think this question is a little hard to answer.

You would need a list of every turbo ld9

FU Tuning

Friday, April 06, 2012 3:19 PM
well... i say jay van because not only does he have a bone stock bottom end but the car runs mid 12's on full weight.

stock bottom end, stock head only mod is cams internally. the car is a beast IMO. imagine what it could do with a standalone for better tuning, ring gap change set-up for boost, E85, some weight reduction and a bit bigger turbo....

...11's with a stock bottom end?

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, April 06, 2012 4:32 PM
Boost it till it blows.. Then you will know.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Friday, April 06, 2012 4:45 PM
Taking nothing from what he has done because his numbers are great!

He is not the only one to run 12's on a stock motor.

Speed racer? Speed craft?

Probably a couple others. Also in relation to the question dyno numbers and track times mean nothing. I'm sure many people have went slower, less power on more psi.

FU Tuning

Monday, April 09, 2012 6:07 AM
seen 26 on a gt40r front side mount on forged H-beams on the quad forums
Monday, April 09, 2012 12:14 PM
Heath Snouffer wrote:seen 26 on a gt40r front side mount on forged H-beams on the quad forums

I'm pretty sure that's Chris Hoover your speaking of and I think that he is planning to run 40psi in that engine soon.

Monday, April 09, 2012 12:32 PM
GT3076R @ 21 psi on mine (Eagle/Wiseco) but that's low, relatively speaking.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Wednesday, May 02, 2012 5:41 AM
How much boost can a stock ld9 take without doing damage?

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 6:41 AM
shanez24 wrote:How much boost can a stock ld9 take without doing damage?

Too many factors to really say. The tune will play a hugh roll in this. I have done 16psi on a bone stock LD9 and that motor is still good. Others have pushed 17-18psi.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 11:58 AM
25psi and 548whp/493wtq on pump gas here

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 1:04 PM
Reason im asking my buddy j's gonna sell my the twin Turbo setup from his stealth engine with all components and piping minus the intercooler for $150, 1 Turbo might need a new bearing. I was thinking put one in my cavi and the other in my wife's Ford sport trac.

So i know ill have to buy more piping and manifolds for both vehicles. But for $150 can't really go wrong.

Any thought, comments, suggestions?

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 4:33 PM
shanez24 wrote:Reason im asking my buddy j's gonna sell my the twin Turbo setup from his stealth engine with all components and piping minus the intercooler for $150, 1 Turbo might need a new bearing. I was thinking put one in my cavi and the other in my wife's Ford sport trac.

So i know ill have to buy more piping and manifolds for both vehicles. But for $150 can't really go wrong.

Any thought, comments, suggestions?

The price for the parts seems cheap, but it also sounds like your getting into more than you are prepared for.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 5:15 PM
yea i just dont wanna buy it then don`t end up getting the rest of the stuff i need and not end up doing it. but it almost seems like for that price its worth it even if i don`t use it for awhile. like i would love to boost it, its just a matter of sourcing out the rest of the stuff i need.

Or he will sell me the stealth engine complete for $800 and i just need to replace the crank and a piston and the intercooler. and i just take on a bigger project and swap the engine. lol and if i did that and finnished it the car would be a rocket!

Friday, May 11, 2012 10:33 AM
Anyone know how much boost the stock stealth turbos make? Would it even be worth it to buy them?

Friday, May 11, 2012 11:06 AM
If I remember correctly they are puny little 13g turbos. Same as what came on automatic Turbo Eclipses, Lasers and Talons. They flow just over 300cfm max. If your looking for something for 5-7psi on a stock 4cyl motor they would give you a slight boost(pun intended). Honestly, with the hassle to get a manifold for your car with a mitsu turbo flange and tun all the needed piping and oiling, its not going to be worth it.

It might help with some low end torque to aid with fuel economy but that will truly depend upon your driving habit.

It would probably cause a loss of power on the 4.0 in the Explorer Sport Trac.

Remember not all turbos are created equally or even perform the same. Sizing the turbo to the motor is very crucial.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search