Knock---IAT's--------supercharged - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Knock---IAT's--------supercharged
Sunday, April 01, 2012 8:56 AM
So I just got my Interceptor hooked up a few days ago and i am concerned about a couple of the parameters im seeing.

First off my registry is up to date but im rocking the stock exhaust and in non-intercooled at this point.

If I give it more then about 1/2-3/4 throttle im getting alot of knock, in the 7-8 range. This happens at all temps not just when its hot as hell.

Im assuming its due to the stock exhaust? I do get the p0420 code so I know the cat is shot and it will be getting replaced when I do the full exhaust.

Next is my IAT's.

My IAT's climb all the way up to 170-180*once the car has warmed up. When im cruising on the highway they will stay around the 150* range.

Will changing to a CAI versus the short ram I have possibly help keep things cooler? Once im intercooled next month that should keep these temps considerably lower?
What kind of temps are you other supercharged guys seeing?

Re: Knock---IAT's--------supercharged
Sunday, April 01, 2012 8:59 AM
Oh and as a reference the temps I am seeing when I start the car cold in the morn is usually around 45-50*
Sunday, April 01, 2012 9:47 AM
Philly D wrote:
My IAT's climb all the way up to 170-180*once the car has warmed up. When im cruising on the highway they will stay around the 150* range.

Will changing to a CAI versus the short ram I have possibly help keep things cooler? Once im intercooled next month that should keep these temps considerably lower?
What kind of temps are you other supercharged guys seeing?

The CAI wont do much, it is the hEATON that is heating the air. A good H/E with a good H/E system will help out ALOT along with water/meth injection. Im running a dualpass endplate, mustang cobra overflow tank, and a ZZP S3 H/E. The highest i remember seeing my IATs after a pull were around 155*F, but they dropped quickly once the pull was over with. My crusing temps were around 115-130*F according to the datalogs from last September.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:05 AM

Error: Sig not found.

Sunday, April 01, 2012 11:52 AM
Thats my issue....there is zero recovery.

Ill be running a dual pass with the ZZP s3 heat exchanger and the stock filler neck till I figure out a flow through design.

Ill also be doing the phelonic spacer in coming months once I get the balls to drill and tap my head out to the proper size to use the cobalt studs.
Sunday, April 01, 2012 2:39 PM
Im boosted with the 3.1 pully, cobra h/e setup , highest on seen on full throttle knock was about 5.0 all i run is 94 octane. my iat wot after a hard pull 155 or so quickly drops to 100-120 crusin on highway

black 03 z24 with a few mods
Sunday, April 01, 2012 3:29 PM
I run Chevron 94 only.

Im thinking its a combo of a few things. When I get intercooled I will be also going down to the 3.1 pulley
Sunday, April 01, 2012 4:49 PM
I'm assuming its on the crapflash... Also, intake is not really gonna help with your issue... You need cooling mods, and to get a real tune...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Sunday, April 01, 2012 4:56 PM
Yea thats my next thing is get off the crapflash and get a proper tune

black 03 z24 with a few mods
Sunday, April 01, 2012 5:01 PM
As already stated you need a cooling system for the charger.

With dual pass, S3, and a 2.8 we got like 150 on the dyno, but 139 on the street in Florida August heat, so the setup your planning on should really help, plus a good tune.

FU Tuning

Sunday, April 01, 2012 6:12 PM
Correct im on the crapflash...

Still trying to figure out what to do about a tune.....unless one of you guys want to come to the west coast lol
Sunday, April 01, 2012 6:22 PM
Ya and FYI that po code does not always mean it's a cat issue...

Sunday, April 01, 2012 6:48 PM
jason norwood wrote:Ya and FYI that po code does not always mean it's a cat issue...

exactly

FU Tuning

Sunday, April 01, 2012 7:04 PM
with a 3.0 and a cobra heat exchanger on a stock cobalt plumbed setup, i get 140ish tops after a pull right now...and its starting to get hot here!!

Sunday, April 01, 2012 7:43 PM
jason norwood wrote:Ya and FYI that po code does not always mean it's a cat issue...

No I do understand it could be a something else like a exhaust leak or a bad o2 sensor.

But since I plan on going with a full 2.5" im replacing the cat anyways.
Sunday, April 01, 2012 8:41 PM
im surprised people are boosting before installing supporting mods at all, ESPECIALLY cooling ones.
i did my full exhaust (2.5" with LSJ pace setter) and installed my h/e a week before i even did the blower (just didnt hook it up obviously since the LSJ IM/dual pass endplate wasnt on). This way there was no excuse not to have cooling.

Adding the blower before any cooling is just literally asking for disastor and motor failure.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, April 02, 2012 5:16 AM
^Well I bought this car already done.. Now that im done paying the car off its time to do stuff like this.

That being said I could say the same thing to you about racing people and hammering on your car on a base tune
Monday, April 02, 2012 9:27 AM
He dont hammer all the way i been beside him but def cooling mods needed

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Monday, April 02, 2012 7:33 PM
well my base tune would be bye bye if it was properly tuned, but who knows when that'll be!!! but i do have the IC pump working now and im simply waiting on a better tune.

and yes i am into the boost quite a bit..its addicting. but even running the way it is its kicking some ass, and thats no ricer-exaggeration!!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, April 06, 2012 4:29 AM
Heat exchanger...now. Quickly followed by exhaust. Lol the car cannot be fun to drive like that.

Friday, April 06, 2012 9:09 AM
^^

Thats the plan.........

Heat exchanger setup next pay and then an exhuast shortly after.

I dont "drive" the car really all that much. I just use it for commuting for work so 90% of the driving I do is highway 110kph barely past 2500 rpm. Its not that bad.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search