Is 85 worth it? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is 85 worth it?
Thursday, April 05, 2012 12:30 PM
Hello JBO, I used to be boosted on pump, years ago.. car has been down for years, just got it running and driving again.. N/A at the moment but I still have basically all my boost goodies so I am going to reboost it but I really need to relearn everything because I've forgot. Years ago 85 was just kinda coming out so Im wondering if I should take that plunge or just stick with pump (91)

The setup is a L61, Turbonetics T04-B/S .63 AR, I have a walbro 255LPH pump in the stock tank.. I will need to buy injectors to reboost...but I am looking on keeping this motor stock for now.. Im shooting for 300-350(max) hp.

IIRC I would probably have to do a fuel cell/ braided fuel lines because 85 is too corrosive for the stock fuel system..

Thanks in Advance,
Brandon

------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Is 85 worth it?
Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:24 PM
Shouldnt need a fuel cell or braided lines for E. As long as you dont leave it sitting in the car for months without starting the car you shouldnt have corrosion issues.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Re: Is 85 worth it?
Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:24 PM
On a stock motor if you want it to last I would recommend stay just under 300whp. Like 280whp. You can make 300-320, but the ringlands are weak on the stock piston's and will only last so long.

I would no worry about E85 as long as you are on a stock jbody ECU.

FU Tuning

Re: Is E85 worth it?
Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:18 PM
has anybody ever proven that its the ringlands that are weak or is it the RINGS causing it them to brake due to them binding up with no space to grow for the heat?

anybody ever actually tried a larger ring gap on a stock eco and see what it can take?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:19 PM

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Thursday, April 05, 2012 9:13 PM
Thanks for input fella's anyone got any good sites that involve tuning with E85?

Also curious about Brads question too...

Thursday, April 05, 2012 9:18 PM
Good sites for tuning E? I know the DSM guys have a bunch of experience, but most of their tuners are morons that I wouldnt trust to tune a lawn mower. Same with SCC.net, but tuners are a little better than that. Honestly, do you have a stand alone? I know I could tune the stock computer to do it, I know its possible. But 1 I cannot say that it will like starting cold, idle well, or drive well at part throttle. We just dont have the ECU controls to do this, stand alones give you the control to make the car perform better on E than on gas. and I me perform like start consistently and @!#$ like that. As shown by Bill Schenker's CSP car.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:03 PM
I will be using HPT.. I really wouldnt be worried about cold starts..

From what I understand E85 is pretty resistant to detonation so you can be more agressive with timing the engine correct?

Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:15 PM
You have to be more aggressive with timing everywhere because of the slower burn rate of e85. I know that if you are talking like this then you DO NOT have the ability to make E work with the factory computer and HPT. It takes a HUGE amount of fudging the tune to make it somewhat work correctly.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:19 PM
Yea Im very uninformed about it... Like I said it was becoming a new thing when I first boosted my car and was just wondering if it would even be worth trying to learn about. Doesnt sound neccecary for my goals atm.

I've forgot so much that i'll be lucky to relearn tuning 93 lol.

Friday, April 06, 2012 5:49 AM
Isn't there an e85 version of the ecotec cavalier? Every car part website I go to mentions it as an engine option.
Friday, April 06, 2012 5:51 AM
wait I just did some more research it was a flex fuel version. I think it might have been for natural gas?

Friday, April 06, 2012 8:12 AM
Yea I believe you are thinking of the natural gas ones, CNG...

Friday, April 06, 2012 1:12 PM
Brad no one that I know of has remapped the rings on a stock Eco. I think that would help.

I think the issue is a combo between the ring gap and weak ring lands. Under high boost the rings are being expanded pushing up on the top ring land.

I think it would be neat to try but realize anyone pushing the limits is going to want more than stock can supply, so might as well build.

FU Tuning

Friday, April 06, 2012 3:21 PM
see thats why a lot give up.. because they think they need all these built engines etc when we simply dont.

i know i toot it a lot but plenty of boosted hondas run stock internals just worked over a bit and are fine...

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, April 06, 2012 3:37 PM
E85 really wont be worth it due to the tuning options out there.

The eco ringlands just plain suck. weak as hell and just suck. Like said, if someone is digging that far into them, you may as well replace pistons and what not...

Friday, April 06, 2012 10:03 PM
With the lack of tables/support in our PCM, I would not attempt using Corn Fuel. You WILL have a meltdown. It may not happen right away, but it WILL happen... As for the ringlands, if detonation doesn't take them out, too much cylinder pressure will. Basically, the rings will but and pop the land.

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, April 07, 2012 10:12 PM
Thanks QWK LN2.. Good to see you're still around here, I remember your car from a NOPI show at Gateway Intl. years ago!!

As far as the ringlands go.. Im probably gonna ruin another eco but I have a set of Wiesco pistons so I'll probably start building a motor I suppose.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search