Saab Turbo PCV Idea - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Saab Turbo PCV Idea
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:39 PM
So I've been reading a lot on the pcv system over the past couple of days because I'm getting ready to put the saab setup on my car. There are a lot of threads on this but I haven't seen this idea so I figured I'd bring it up and see what you guys thought. So basically what I've gathered from all of my research is that some people run the barb on the valve cover to a catch can, then from the can to the barb on the turbo. Some say that this is all you need to do but I've also read that it's a good idea to rig up some sort of a check valve on the pcv hole on the head under the intake manifold. So you go from the pcv hole, through the valve, and back to the intake manifold.

When I pulled my saab setup I grabbed the intake manifold too and I was looking at it today while researching the pcv system. The saab manifold looks like it has a check valve built into it between its pcv port and the inside of the manifold. I figured that this would do the exact same thing as the check valve from our stock pcv port back to the manifold. The only problem is that the saab pcv port is in a different location. I was looking at my manifold today and was thinking that if I could grind down part of the back of the manifold and basically enlarge the pcv port on the manifold, it should work right?

It's hard to explain so here's a picture of what I was thinking.

The space inside the red lines would be cut down and the same area on the gasket would be cut so that the stock pcv port on the l61 head would vent into the check valve on the saab manifold. Does this seem like a good way to do this? Am I even on the right track or am I a lot more confused than I thought? I'm just trying to get all of this figured out before I tackle this turbo install.

Thanks guys

Re: Saab Turbo PCV Idea
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:32 AM
That's pretty much what we do on the m62 setup, so it should work for you as well. The m62 manifold has the built in the check valve in the same spot, so we slot the gasket (and in my case the phenolic spacer as well) so that it connects the check valve on the mani to the port in the head. It's probably still a wise idea to run a catch can and check valve in a line between the valve cover and the turbo inlet, as an additional venting source when under boost.

Re: Saab Turbo PCV Idea
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:27 AM
Yup that's how GM did it with both their supercharger setups on the J-body.... I really don't know why anybody is questioning something that was put to bed 3 years ago!

Just make sure the check valve is working well and that setup you illustrated will work very well.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search