Heat exchanger plumbing - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Heat exchanger plumbing
Friday, April 20, 2012 7:07 PM
With my car hitting IAT's of 190 today I ordered my intercooling parts today for my cav.

Im not finding alot when it comes to the routing of the hoses. I am going to be using the stock cobalt filler neck along with the stock cobalt pump and mount. But not sure what hoses go where.

Re: Heat exchanger plumbing
Saturday, April 21, 2012 4:11 PM
I'd scrap the cobalt filler neck and get a tank. If you're IATs are that high, you want the extra fluid in the system. Go from the tank (or filler neck) in the pump, from the pump to bottom of h/e, top of h/e to bottom of manifold, the top of manifold back to the tank.

Check my supercharger thread (Ultimate m62 Guide), I think I have a single and dual pass diagram in there.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 7:04 PM
I will be going with a tank in the near future but I am wanting to wait till I relocate my battery so I can change things up in that corner a bit and use some of the space.

The filler neck came for free with my pump and bracket so ill be using it in the mean time just to get intercooled.

Ill check out your thread....ive always found the dual pass but never the stock setup.
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:12 PM
how ever you plumb it, make sure that the "cool" water goes in the bottom of the manifold, unless you are running dual pass, then the "cool" water going in in the center.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:46 PM
Nah just going with the stock setup for now. Havent decided between single pass or double pass.....
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:42 PM
dual pass is proven to be very effective and its easy and cheap to do.
and dont forget to put a bottle of water wetter (any auto parts store has it $10) to the mix. I also add some to my radiator as well.
You could also look into both Phenolic spacers (though they slightly increase the height of the blower so new bolts may be required).

Im running the dual pass setup but need to double check my routing...cant remember if its better to have 2 IN and 1 OUT or 1 IN and 2 OUT for the intake manifold on the dual pass setup. I think mine is setup like this:

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:25 AM
blu04DD wrote:dual pass is proven to be very effective and its easy and cheap to do.
and dont forget to put a bottle of water wetter (any auto parts store has it $10) to the mix. I also add some to my radiator as well.
You could also look into both Phenolic spacers (though they slightly increase the height of the blower so new bolts may be required).

Im running the dual pass setup but need to double check my routing...cant remember if its better to have 2 IN and 1 OUT or 1 IN and 2 OUT for the intake manifold on the dual pass setup. I think mine is setup like this:

Single pass is proven to be better but I dunno if I can justify the cost just yet.

Ill be doing the head to im phelonic spacer in the coming months but I have to wait till I have the time to drill and tap my head out to the larger m8 studs.

For the dual pass you want the cold going in the center and out the other two outlets.

I believe your setup is not correct. I believe you should be going from the hot outlets of the dual pass to in in on the pump nd then out through your heat exchanger and back to the manifold through the center outlet.
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:27 PM
Philly D wrote:For the dual pass you want the cold going in the center and out the other two outlets.

I believe your setup is not correct. I believe you should be going from the hot outlets of the dual pass to in in on the pump nd then out through your heat exchanger and back to the manifold through the center outlet.

You sir, are correct.
Center of dual pass is the "in" from the h/e, top and bottom are the "out" that route back to the pump.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:57 PM
I need to go back and see how i have it set up..because I remember reversing it from how it was originally..i think i actually have it correct and my drawing is wrong.

i remember thinking the pump OUT should go to the top of the h/e, then out the bottom of the h/e to the IN on the IM and then OUT the outter two, then back to the pump IN.
but is the "T" junction okay there in that scenario to the reservoir?

Philly...what makes you say the single pass is a better setup? if im not mistaken, ZZP did extensive testing on it and proved a proper setup with the h/e, option B, and dual pass you decrease temps quite a bit.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:03 PM
blu04DD wrote:I need to go back and see how i have it set up..because I remember reversing it from how it was originally..i think i actually have it correct and my drawing is wrong.

i remember thinking the pump OUT should go to the top of the h/e, then out the bottom of the h/e to the IN on the IM and then OUT the outter two, then back to the pump IN.
but is the "T" junction okay there in that scenario to the reservoir?

Philly...what makes you say the single pass is a better setup? if im not mistaken, ZZP did extensive testing on it and proved a proper setup with the h/e, option B, and dual pass you decrease temps quite a bit.

Always run from the bottom of the h/e to the top, it helps air bleed out. Same with the manifold if it's a stock endplate. Dual pass endplate, the middle of the dual pass is the IN, the top and bottom are out, this allows the cores to depressurize.
And I think by single pass, he is referring to ZZP's single pass manifold. It's not an endplate, but a whole replacement manifold, with all cores passing the same direction. ZZP claims it a step up from the dual pass endplate. I've heard good and bad from Cobalt guys...most say it helped, but not enough to warrant the price jump from a dual pass endplate.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:27 PM
that makes sense..i just wasnt sure since the pump pushes so little through i didnt know if it would actually work harder to go up the h/e reversing the actual effect. i thought if gravity helped it'd make it easier for the water to push through.

i need to go look at mine and see. thanks for the tips!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:18 PM
Our pumps are 5gph which is just perfect for these size systems. As for gravity and such, air always wants to push upwards to bleed out of the fluid. Flowing top to bottom could actually trap air pockets.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:41 PM
So since this is a plumbing thread...

Im about to do my system and this is how I assume i should go.......correct me if its in correct

Thanks

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:19 PM
I would switch the h/e and pump. Go from the filler neck right into the pump, from the pump to bottom of h/e, top of h/e to bottom of mani, top of mani back to filler neck.
You want the water going from the h/e right to the mani to get the best heat dissipation. Not to mention, I'd imagine the pump itself would heat the water just a bit. Remember, the cooler the fluid is going into the manifold cores, the more heat it's going to be able to absorb and carry out of the manifold.

Friday, May 18, 2012 10:10 PM
Here's my take on this :

On a stock cobalt ss/sc the pump pushes hot coolant into the heat exchanger, then out from the heatexchanger to the manifold, so its opposite to what you have however, I personally don't see switching it will cause any problems, as the pump will not heat the fluid up, I have switched them on my cobalt and saw no difference in temps or cooling time during a lot of logging, also switch the the cool fluid's outlet to the lower outlett of the heat exchanger like Evilution stated earlier

2004 Ecotec, Completley Stock...For Now
Saturday, May 19, 2012 5:44 AM
Ecotec Cavy wrote:Here's my take on this :

On a stock cobalt ss/sc the pump pushes hot coolant into the heat exchanger, then out from the heatexchanger to the manifold, so its opposite to what you have however, I personally don't see switching it will cause any problems, as the pump will not heat the fluid up, I have switched them on my cobalt and saw no difference in temps or cooling time during a lot of logging, also switch the the cool fluid's outlet to the lower outlett of the heat exchanger like Evilution stated earlier

I dont know how that can be correct because the hoses I have off the cobalt have the desination of where each end of the ends go...so I know the short pipe is correct.
Saturday, May 19, 2012 7:22 AM
Philly D wrote:
Ecotec Cavy wrote:Here's my take on this :

I dont know how that can be correct because the hoses I have off the cobalt have the desination of where each end of the ends go...so I know the short pipe is correct.

I know it for a fact because I've owned and still own a cobalt ss/sc, plus worked on several others, also keep in mind that the stock ss/sc intercooler goes between the radiator and ac intercooler plate, the actual inlet/outlet are very close to the pump

2004 Ecotec, Completley Stock...For Now
Saturday, May 19, 2012 7:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CXarMxZtmI4

Found this....you can understand the confusion....
Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:57 AM
I actually had the wrong diagram and put the arrows in wrong on that picture lol....

Here is how my setup is on top...I just went out and rewrote the diagram to make sure I had it this way...is the bottom one the correct way to reroute my lines then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, May 20, 2012 3:41 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search