custom 2.3 turbo cam grind - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
custom 2.3 turbo cam grind
Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:48 PM
I would like to know if anybody has had a custom cam grind done for the 2.3 quad4?

Re: custom 2.3 turbo cam grind
Friday, April 27, 2012 8:51 AM
There have been a couple custom ground turbo cams on the forums. The two I can think of are Chris Hoover on quad4forums who had huge crane cams ground and was pushing over 500whp before he decided to rebuild for more power. On here a guy everyone calls Old Man Gary is using some custom turbo cams in his 2.4 and running ethanol making over 400whp. I will be using custom cams as well but not sure if they are turbo cams or not, just gonna play with cam timing until I figure it out.

Friday, April 27, 2012 3:50 PM
chris's cams are regrinds and he did not have them done. he bought them from some old quad 4 god iirc lol

i just picked up a set of crane "turbo" cams. i havent even got them yet but will be soon. a friend had them ground from blanks i sold him for his massive turbo build he's now since decided against doing. pretty sure he just called crane and worked out the best grind for his setup and goals etc. i wanna say they are .460 something lift and 250* something duration.

i dont know that ill use them for a very long time. if you want them let me know. they would come with LS1 valve springs, and titanium retainers.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, April 27, 2012 7:22 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:chris's cams are regrinds and he did not have them done. he bought them from some old quad 4 god iirc lol

i just picked up a set of crane "turbo" cams. i havent even got them yet but will be soon. a friend had them ground from blanks i sold him for his massive turbo build he's now since decided against doing. pretty sure he just called crane and worked out the best grind for his setup and goals etc. i wanna say they are .460 something lift and 250* something duration.

i dont know that ill use them for a very long time. if you want them let me know. they would come with LS1 valve springs, and titanium retainers.
What hp is the cams made to make? I talked to a tech at comp cams and he recommended 232 duration with 420 lift. he side it would be good for 650hp.
Friday, April 27, 2012 9:35 PM
so many things make up horsepower i dont think you can say XX cam is gonna be good to XXhp it doesnt work like that. if your turbo can rev to the moon and keep making power than you choose a cam profile that will allow ur engine to get there etc.

@!#$'s chess, not checkers.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:19 PM
#1berettaman1991gtz wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:chris's cams are regrinds and he did not have them done. he bought them from some old quad 4 god iirc lol

What hp is the cams made to make? I talked to a tech at comp cams and he recommended 232 duration with 420 lift. he side it would be good for 650hp.

I doubt you'd be able to efficiently use those cams without revving well past the limits of hydraulic lifters.

Just like any NA build, you need to specify where you want your powerband to be. Simply asking for a "turbo grind" is awfully vague. In regards to what works, stock Quad4 HO cams (even at stock cam timings) have shown to respond very well in turbo builds. They are a very effective and cheap option. You aren't going to find too many 4cyl engines out there that come with stock cam profiles even remotely close to the HO's (VTEC excluded).

I have no signiture
Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:23 PM
^^^ I'm an idiot. I just now see you already have a Quad4 HO.

I have no signiture
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search