2.3 quad4 turbo oil drain - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3 quad4 turbo oil drain
Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:40 PM
I was wondering if it would be ok to have the oil drain line for a top mount turbo drain into the exhaust cam tower. any thoughts or ideas will greatly be appreciated.

Re: 2.3 quad4 turbo oil drain
Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:14 PM
no

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Friday, April 27, 2012 1:23 PM
oil pan.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, April 27, 2012 3:43 PM
i honestly dont know for sure but i do not see why not... i think dumping it into the timing chain housing might be better though...

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Monday, April 30, 2012 1:31 PM
cam towers are where you get your oil feed from.. i may be ignorant regarding how oil flows in our engines, but if the feed and the drain are both tapped into a pressurized location, it won't flow well.. if at all..

timing chain housing would work.. I can't see your pictures at work but usually you want the drain to be as vertical as possible with as few bends as possible.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Monday, April 30, 2012 2:12 PM
I'd like to see the hood that's required with that setup.

Oil feed and drain are 2 important things to keep in mind when building a manifold. Looks like the drain wasn't factored in correctly. Probably just run it between the runners with some good heat wrap around the hose and go to the pan.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Monday, April 30, 2012 4:54 PM
the oil drain was in mind the whole time I was building the header. There isn't much room between the motor and the firewall on the BERETTAS because the rack and pinion is mounted to the firewall so room is very limited. this header takes up the whole area.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/BerettaMan91GTZ/charlessberettagtzPictures085Medium.jpg

photo isn't the best but you can see the rack and pinion here. V

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/BerettaMan91GTZ/BerettaPictures096.jpg

I just thought it be easier to run the drain to the top of the very top of the cam tower.
Monday, April 30, 2012 5:05 PM
[ion wrote: C2]cam towers are where you get your oil feed from.. i may be ignorant regarding how oil flows in our engines, but if the feed and the drain are both tapped into a pressurized location, it won't flow well.. if at all..

timing chain housing would work.. I can't see your pictures at work but usually you want the drain to be as vertical as possible with as few bends as possible.
What I is run the oil drain line to the cam cover . which it isn't pressurized.
Monday, April 30, 2012 5:14 PM
#1berettaman1991gtz wrote:
[ion wrote: C2]cam towers are where you get your oil feed from.. i may be ignorant regarding how oil flows in our engines, but if the feed and the drain are both tapped into a pressurized location, it won't flow well.. if at all..

What I meant to say is run the oil drain line to the cam cover . which it isn't pressurized.

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:46 PM
#1berettaman1991gtz wrote:

What I is run the oil drain line to the cam cover . which it isn't pressurized.

yea see thats what i was thinking, too. the lifter bores as well as mains for the cams are pressurized but the cap itself is just an open source.

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:52 AM
there are oil drain galleys in the towers that will drain back through the head and block, but then the question becomes will they be enough? my educated guess is probably. but is it a good idea to soak the exhaust cam in really hot turbo drain oil? idk on that one. might be fine but i'd probably just try and get the hose through or around the runners and heat wrap it. maybe tap into the skirt on the block but thats me. it looks like an awesome setup and you did a really nice job with it though.

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 11:55 AM
id try to make it to the block as well, cam towers are made of what seems to be cast (i could be mistaken) and might be difficult to have a drain setup. the cam tower might also see some pressure which might hold up the oil from draining properly as well

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 6:52 PM
the timing chain housing cover would be a good place i think. hell if you were crafty you could even make a screw on drain/oil cap setup...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search