Serious problem after supercharger install... need input here - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Serious problem after supercharger install... need input here
Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:39 PM
So here I am... havent been on here much at all in the past year. I wrecked the car back in february, got a buttload of insurance money so I bought a supercharger kit off of a guy on here.....

Its a custom manifold for the M62 Supercharger... running an adapter for the stock LD9 throttle body.... using a 3.1" pulley

Other notable things...... Using AcDelco spark plugs part # R42LTS gaped at 0.050

On to my problem..... At wide open throttle I would start to get a loud banging/rattleling noise coming from the engine... followed by it bucking around and shutting off on me. After that it would run like it was down a cylinder. Started pulling plugs and this is what I found....

I know it didnt focus well but something forced the electrode together and completely closed the gap. It didn't break it or anything. I'm really puzzled because its happened three times now.

Also.... checked compression today..... 170psi across all cylinders. Pistons look ok from what I can tell.

Re: Serious problem after supercharger install... need input here
Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:29 PM
Is there any marks on the plug indicating it may have touched piston? Do you have a stock plug to measure and double check the lenght is proper? Also .50 for a gap seems large to me

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:39 PM
before no.... this time though it looks like the piston beat the hell out of the plug

the plugs in there now are the ones GM puts in their kits for the 00-02 2.4's..... and thats what they want them gaped at

any good recommendations for shorter plugs and a gap spec? I think this thing is leaning out bad but I dont have a wideband for it yet

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:43 PM
Are there little specs on the plug? Sounds like you have major detonation going on... Is this intercooled? Has it been tuned? Without a WB, I wouuld not bet going WOT at all....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:45 PM
Ok go get NGK stock number #4177. Gap them at .035 for now.

Next what is it tuned with? Gm Reflash, stock LD9 tune, custome what?

Next get a damn wideband!

Sorry to say the motor is toast.

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:48 PM
also the map sensor on top of the charger has a pigtail pluged into it. Are those wires going to the ECU? Or is it fake?

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:52 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:Sorry to say the motor is toast.

Doesn't sound like it's toasted to me................................................ yet.

It does sound like detonation to me. If it's bad enough it will close the gap on the plugs. HUGE cylinder pressure spikes occur during that scenario which can literally bend the electrodes. Specks on the plugs will also indicate detonation as mentioned. The plug gap is pretty big but not whats causing the detonation. Wideband may only tell part of the story but you do need to get one asap. We need to be able to see what the system is doing right before the symptoms occur.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:06 PM
To answer all questions...

GM Reflash

Yes there are little specks all over the top of the plug. Its only doing it in cylinder 3

Thats a 2 bar map sensor and it is plugged into the ecu

Just went and got the NGK TR6's part #4177.... cleared it up for now...... but..... i can tell that its gonna happen again at any kind of boost. Grandma driving its ok. I think its leaning out pretty bad

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:24 PM
yeah, keep babying it until you can get a wideband on it. They may all be doing it and #3 just happens to be REALLY doing it. If you know anyone with a bore scope it wouldn't hurt to check the cylinder surface and combustion chamber. Could be a hot spot in cylinder 3 somewhere. Hopefully you don't find a bit of ring land missing.

I think you might have pictures posted too but for whatever reason my work computer is not displaying them

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:25 PM
What mods to fuel system? And is it intercooled?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:33 PM
Yes its intercooled

And no fuel mods yet. That was going to be my next question.... an adjustable FPR be a good idea?

also... Im running the cobalt ss injectors in the thing.... should i switch to the Isuzu injectors that normally come in these kits?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:34 PM
Quote:

Thats a 2 bar map sensor and it is plugged into the ecu

This is your biggest issue right now. Your 2 bar map sensor is pre charger rotors, so you are not seeing boost, so your ECU is not adding fuel for the boost. The sebnsor needs to be after the charger so the sensor reads boost pressure and tells the ECU to add fuel.

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:37 PM
omg.....

You know what your right.... and I think i know exactly where it needs to go

son of a bitch

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:54 PM

Also, on my old MP45 setup, with everything stock except for a 2.6" pulley, my car was seeing AFRs in the 14s during wide open.... you are probably insanely lean at wide open.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:21 PM

just so im sure... where do you guys have your map sensor plugged into?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:53 PM
The vacuum hose to the MAP sensor needs to go into the manifold somewhere, after the supercharger.

So you got the OEM kit...hmmm... Ive thought about it. I hope this turns out well for you.

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:07 AM
meckster wrote:just so im sure... where do you guys have your map sensor plugged into?

On a stock M45 kit we have a nipple on the side of the manifold that a hose goes to for the map sensor. I know the OEM kit is a old M45 kit chopped up, but not sure if that port is still useable.

In your picture you have a port on one of the runners, that would work as well.

FU Tuning

Friday, May 11, 2012 5:20 PM
Yeah I attached it to the runner leading to cylinder 4

runs much better, no detonation going on but I have a new problem.... Running extremely rich now. So bad it cuts out above 4psi and every so often get a P0172 code Bank 1 system to rich.

Nothing but headaches.... i dunno if i mentioned it but im running the cobalt ss injectors on this thing. I'm wondering if its to much for this engine because they must really be dumping fuel in under boost.

Friday, May 11, 2012 5:55 PM
What normally comes with the supercharger kit? Since your not tuning it past the reflash?
Friday, May 11, 2012 6:01 PM
The kit normally comes with injectors from what I think (if i remember correctly) a 3.2 liter isuzu amigo

Here they are...

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:02 PM
try again

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:03 PM
Friday, May 11, 2012 6:19 PM
normally the kit comes with 310cc injectors. The ss/sc's are like 378cc. Without a wideband how do you know it is rich?

FU Tuning

Friday, May 11, 2012 7:04 PM
Its a gm reflash of course its rich

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Friday, May 11, 2012 7:09 PM
No but if your trying to run 36/lb injectors when its setup to run 31/lb injectors your going to run into fueling issues.

I would suggest to get someone to tune you asap..and a wideband is a great idea.

That motor wont last long otherwise.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search