turboing my 96 z24 ld9 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turboing my 96 z24 ld9
Monday, November 21, 2011 4:13 PM
I need to know one simple question and I know its probably in a form somewhere and truthfully I'm tired of looking.... I plan on running just 8psi boost to my stock ld9 untiill I build my other ld9. If I only run 8 psi do I need to have it tuned.. my dads fabricator told me that with that low of boost that it didn't have to be tuned and that he wouldnworry about it untill I get the money for a hp tuners.

Re: turboing my 96 z24 ld9
Monday, November 21, 2011 4:35 PM
Yes, you will need a tune

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Monday, November 21, 2011 4:41 PM
I will add, I'm not sure if HP tuners will work with a 96. I could be wrong, may want to do some more reading.

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Monday, November 21, 2011 4:44 PM
a 1996 pcm is not tune-able with hp tuners. only 97+ j-bodys can be tuned. You would need a 97-98 wiring harness and pcm swap to be tuned.

Monday, November 21, 2011 4:45 PM
adding to my last post... you would also need to swap your cluster if i remember correctly. A tune is needed in my opinion as well for ANY boost.

Monday, November 21, 2011 4:50 PM
if swapping harnesses your better off going with a 2000-02 harness to run the 2 bar map and have a better running car.

Buy my stuff!!! CLICK

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Monday, November 21, 2011 5:18 PM
Also if someone is telling you that 8 psi does not need a tune, then you need to stay away from them, because they do not know.

FU Tuning

Monday, November 21, 2011 5:36 PM
yea john, didnt you know? FMU's are tune's too man.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Monday, November 21, 2011 5:49 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:yea john, didnt you know? FMU's are tune's too man.

And if he mentioned using a FMU I would not have said what I did, but he never did.

You can use a FMU to get the car safe.

FU Tuning

Monday, November 21, 2011 5:52 PM
Freelancer1988 wrote:adding to my last post... you would also need to swap your cluster if i remember correctly. A tune is needed in my opinion as well for ANY boost.

I thought that if you do the swap for 97-98 pcm and harness you didn't need to swap the cluster? Yes or No on this?

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Monday, November 21, 2011 6:01 PM
turboZ24cavi wrote:
Freelancer1988 wrote:adding to my last post... you would also need to swap your cluster if i remember correctly. A tune is needed in my opinion as well for ANY boost.

I thought that if you do the swap for 97-98 pcm and harness you didn't need to swap the cluster? Yes or No on this?

do not hold me to this, but I do not think you need to swap the cluster.

FU Tuning

Monday, November 21, 2011 10:47 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:
turboZ24cavi wrote:

guys, I could be wrong, I said IF i remember correctly. I know the car will need the passlock relearn procedure. I figured since the pcm is different, then the cluster would also operate a little different with the passlock crap.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:44 AM
Freelancer1988 wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:
turboZ24cavi wrote:

guys, I could be wrong, I said IF i remember correctly. I know the car will need the passlock relearn procedure. I figured since the pcm is different, then the cluster would also operate a little different with the passlock crap.

Oh, I didn't mean anything by it. It's just that I'm about to do this for my 96. I was just hoping I could use the one I already have. I guess I'll find out for sure if we do need to swap or not here in a few days.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:54 AM
turboZ24cavi wrote:
Freelancer1988 wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:
turboZ24cavi wrote:

Oh, I didn't mean anything by it. It's just that I'm about to do this for my 96. I was just hoping I could use the one I already have. I guess I'll find out for sure if we do need to swap or not here in a few days.

I know nothing was meant by anything you typed. I'm good. I know this swap has been done before... so good luck. lol. I was just hoping someone would of chimed in that done it. I did go through all the older posts about it and got mixed results... but a lot say you just do the passlock relearn procedure and then your golden.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:54 AM
I had my 96 tuned nicely using an s-afc and larger injectors. Granted this isn't the best way, but at the time it was all there was aside from an FMU. Just an option. You could also do an extra injector controller with 1 or 4 additional injectors. 1 in each intake runner would be best. Aside from swapping ECUS and going with HPT, that may be your best bet. But like everyone else said, yes you need a tune. 8lbs of boost is not "that low of boost", its actually quite a lot more air... about 50% more actually depended on turbo size.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:49 AM
What exactly is an FMU?

Friday, May 11, 2012 11:09 AM
Fuel Management Unit.

It aids by increasing rail pressure causing the injectors to flow more. Most injectors are rated to flow 43.5psi of fuel but say you increase the pressure up to 50-55, their flow rating will also increase.

Its an old method of tuning before computers came into play. Some people still use them with the computer tunes.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Saturday, May 12, 2012 10:58 AM
If you get an fmu get the adjustable BEGi from lightning motorsports. 2025 model I believe. It's listed in my car info. I have a stinkin' 96 too, lol. I also did a comp swap to run it along with hpt

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search