Serious problem after supercharger install... need input here - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Serious problem after supercharger install... need input here
Friday, May 11, 2012 10:04 PM
get a wideband for sure and see where your afr's are at.

are you running the m45 reflash on the m62?

Saturday, May 12, 2012 5:27 AM
Yeah Im running the M45 Reflash on the M62

I know its running rich because of the smell and the the PO172 code im getting

I'm starting to wonder if my FPR is malfunctioning, maybe

Its going to be a few weeks until I can afford the wideband so I'm just going to baby the car for now I guess. It runs really well under small amounts of boost.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 5:47 AM
i'd be careful with the smaller injectors as the m62 with a 3.1 is going to move more air than the m45 (obviously) again, I wouldn't make too many changes without knowing my afr's are.

i'm not sure how well the 2.4 s/c reflash adapts to more airflow. (I know the eco s/c flash is crap at best)

Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:38 AM

Just another question then with my setup... right now I have a full stock exhaust system on it. I have a feeling that it might just be way to restrictive for this particular setup. Could that maybe be contributing to part of my problem?

Either way my next purchase will be a wideband here hopefully in the next couple weeks

Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:49 AM
Yeah for sure you need to open the exhaust up with boost
Very well can have an clogged cat and that makes it run like @!#$ also.
Saturday, May 12, 2012 7:24 AM
Here is what I can say. I maxed out my 310's, and the SS/SC's on my M45 setup, with meth, and if I wasn't tunning meth my 42's would be maxed out as well. So likely the SS/SC's are maxed on the M62.

FU Tuning

Saturday, May 12, 2012 9:22 AM
I wouldnt worry about the exhaust. Wont fix the rich running issue. Id do what was suggested. The M45 reflash is tuned to run smaller injectors and you have not been tuned to run those SS injectors. Switch them out. Or get a smaller pulley lol. Anything to lean it out.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 9:55 AM
Sounds good guys.... I'm going to get myself a wideband and get a set of the M45 injectors

Ill post updates in a couple weeks

Saturday, May 12, 2012 11:36 AM
meckster wrote:Sounds good guys.... I'm going to get myself a wideband and get a set of the M45 injectors

Ill post updates in a couple weeks

I think I have a set of the GM 310cc injectors. I will verify, if I would sell them.

FU Tuning

Saturday, May 12, 2012 11:55 AM
Why M45 kit injectors? They are going to be too small with the bigger SC... I would not run anything smaller than 42#/440's.... May even need bigger if your going to push it.. WB is a MUST!

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:00 PM
jesus bro, not to be a dick but did you not research at all what has to go in to boosting a j?

no wideband, stock exhaust.....those are 2 really big NEEDS for a boosted car.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 2:07 PM
blucavvy wrote:jesus bro, not to be a dick but did you not research at all what has to go in to boosting a j?

X2

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:18 PM

You know something... I understand, but there is no reason to be a dick. Ive been here for ten years and have been in a j-body just as long. Yes this is my first boosted one and yes I should have done way more research.

The way I figured it was I was going to install it and be done with it after the reflash. GM intended that when they designed it. Nothing crazy... nothing really fancy. Thats all I really wanted for the time being. I know this is not technically the GM kit..... I figured it would work as such though.

The car is fine, I learned my lesson, and I'm taking everyones advice. So again thank you to everyone here who has been a big help. While I'm not around nearly as much as I used to be, I keep coming back for this very reason.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 9:30 PM
john wrote:Its a gm reflash of course its rich

John shhhhh..you're turbo, let us big boy supercharger guys talk this one over....

the GMreflash on my stage2 injectors, upgraded pump, 3" pulley, I went through a half tank driving 30miles...now THAT is rich. The GMflash was actually already on my friends ECU that I borrowed just to be able to drive it to get a base tune from Vince. But you def need a good tune. And go buy a damn wideband. Of all the money invested, its like $200 + $20 max to have the bung welded in. it helps me determine how Im able to drive.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Saturday, May 12, 2012 9:30 PM
blucavvy wrote:

Umm, false.

Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:36 AM
really? 1 7/8" exhaust is a good idea to keep on? may he should keep the stock resonator, cat, exhaust mani, and muffler on too. that'll all be good with boost.

and no wideband? look at the problems he's running in to right now, he has no idea what's going on with his car and he has to baby it in order to even drive it.

Meckster, i honestly was not trying to be a dick. it's just one of those things that requires a lot of research before commiting. i understand now what you were trying to accomplish, hopefully everythings salvagable. good luck bro.

Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:41 AM
blucavvy wrote:really? 1 7/8" exhaust is a good idea to keep on? may he should keep the stock resonator, cat, exhaust mani, and muffler on too. that'll all be good with boost.

and no wideband? look at the problems he's running in to right now, he has no idea what's going on with his car and he has to baby it in order to even drive it.

Meckster, i honestly was not trying to be a dick. it's just one of those things that requires a lot of research before commiting. i understand now what you were trying to accomplish, hopefully everythings salvagable. good luck bro.

I think what was meant isthe exhaust is not a have to mod. GM designed both the M45 and the M62 to work on stock Jbody's. Not aftermarket exhaust needed.

This is not to say if you are looking for all power that a exhaust is not needed at that point. Sounds like the OP is not after a all out power setup. Just fun. With stock exhaust the torque will be very nice allowing a fun daily driver.

You could also say GM designed the M45 and M62 to work without needing a wideband as well. This is nto to say I would recommend not running one. At the same time I do not keep a wideband on my car at all times.

FU Tuning

Sunday, May 13, 2012 9:03 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:I think what was meant isthe exhaust is not a have to mod. GM designed both the M45 and the M62 to work on stock Jbody's. Not aftermarket exhaust needed.

This is not to say if you are looking for all power that a exhaust is not needed at that point. Sounds like the OP is not after a all out power setup. Just fun. With stock exhaust the torque will be very nice allowing a fun daily driver.

You could also say GM designed the M45 and M62 to work without needing a wideband as well. This is nto to say I would recommend not running one. At the same time I do not keep a wideband on my car at all times.

Thank you. See I knew I liked you.

Sunday, May 13, 2012 3:27 PM
Craig wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:I think what was meant isthe exhaust is not a have to mod. GM designed both the M45 and the M62 to work on stock Jbody's. Not aftermarket exhaust needed.

Thank you. See I knew I liked you.
mmm... Buttsecks!

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Sunday, May 13, 2012 9:19 PM

READ. THEN MOD

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Monday, May 14, 2012 9:57 PM
put a stock 3.34" size zzp pulley on the blower and put that map sensor on the manifold where it belongs and find someone with hp tuners to modify that tune like I told you to do when I sold you the kit and you wouldn't have these issues. not trying to sound like a dick but there's a reason I told you that stuff. Do NOT put smaller injectors on. with that pulley and those injectors on a stock untouched gm reflash that engine is a ticking time bomb running extremely lean due to lack of fuel in the higher rpm's. your getting rich codes due to the reflash running it rich at lower rpm's but half way through the power band the car leans out (especially due to having 310cc injector tuning with 378cc injectors). ngk tr7 spark plugs will help you also.

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:12 PM

Look... I'm not going to fight with anybody. I asked you whether the GM Reflash would be ok for the time being and you told me that it should be as long as i dont jump down to the 2.8 you gave me. Also, I already have the map where it should be and the engine isnt leaning out at all. In fact in runs great under low levels of boost but at WOT its running extremely rich. Hell my g/f was following me yesterday and said my exhaust smelled like gas. I know its no good tuning device but my narrowband gauge pegs the rich side at WOT. And I only get the P0172 at WOT.

I'm working on getting a wideband... opening up my exhaust system... and I'll see what I can do about someone tuning it with HPTuners. This is actually good for me at the moment, its saving me money on gas driving it like a normal human being.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:30 PM
meckster wrote:This is actually good for me at the moment, its saving me money on gas driving it like a normal human being.

this is harder to do than it sounds lol....but its how i was driving when i was running so rich id literally throw $20's into the tank to drive a day or two.

but mine does it too..on a good tune, the only problem i have really is running very rich at WOT...but at least im not lean anymore which is great!

good luck on what you end up doing, ill be watchin this too

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search