Accidential wrx sound - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Accidential wrx sound
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:15 PM
So i retorqued my head at work after which i set the timing off a tooth i thing boost now comes on faster now, now my idle vac is 15inhg vs before it was 21inhg... And 60psi oil pressure on start up now 10psi startup(2.3 oil pump) but it sound cool lol jk

what do you all think?

Re: Accidential wrx sound
Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:34 AM
if you skipped a tooth I believe thats like a 6 degree change on one cam, could be very bad. I think PJ measured the degrees between teeth.
Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:08 PM
6 degrees wouldnt be too bad. I think it was more like 15 degrees per tooth.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:49 PM
3 degrees on 1 cam is a lot, trust me I know.
Friday, May 25, 2012 6:23 AM
So i fix the timing issue 2 day ago but im still not getting good oil pressure at the head only 15psi cold 0psi warm idle and 10psi 2k-3k rpm

Friday, May 25, 2012 6:26 AM
One tooth on an ld9 is a little over 9 degrees at the cam. Which gear did you set off a tooth? If its the crank then you effectively moved both cams also. It also depends what way u moved it, whether its advanced or retarded. What do I think... lucky u didn't make valves meet pistons

Friday, May 25, 2012 7:10 AM
Jamon wrote:So i fix the timing issue 2 day ago but im still not getting good oil pressure at the head only 15psi cold 0psi warm idle and 10psi 2k-3k rpm

you sure the pump swap was done correctly? all the plugs put in properly etc?

and the one tooth deal doesnt seem to be that bad because a lot of people do it when they time quad's. both marks on the bottom are supposed to be perfectly lined up together, most seem to have them off one tooth either off to the left or the right. i believe this is why some quads are beasts whereas others that should be dont seem to get the job done. its a bitch to get it just right though. and if ur head and or block is decked it makes it that much harder. this is why having actual adjustable gears comes in handy so you can dial ur ish in perfectly straight up THEN work on seeing what adjustments provide desired powerband and best peak hp/trq.

with a boosted car you might want ur cams adjusted a certain way so the power comes in at a different time than an n/a car. this is why lot of people mistake adjustable cam gears' justification for. they think that they tune them to get more power and thats it. well thats not only the case, you can get more power, sure but one of the best benefits is tuning them in just so that you get the desired powerband you want for your exact setup. a drag car would want a different adjustment than say a road course/auto x car. as well as a street car might want a different power band.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, May 25, 2012 8:22 AM
RedCavalac wrote:One tooth on an ld9 is a little over 9 degrees at the cam. Which gear did you set off a tooth? If its the crank then you effectively moved both cams also. It also depends what way u moved it, whether its advanced or retarded. What do I think... lucky u didn't make valves meet pistons

Its a low compression engine with valve reliefs in the pistons, the power just didnt "feel" there....

And i checked all the oil pump swap plugs and theyre perfect its only the intake cam oil pressure that low :-(

Friday, May 25, 2012 9:31 AM
you sure you have the correct o-ring gaskets in the towers?

Friday, May 25, 2012 12:24 PM
Ill check again

Saturday, May 26, 2012 8:36 AM
yea, do.. because if they are the wrong thickness you will definitely have low pressure.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:51 PM
I thought you parted your car man?

Also, back in 07 my timing was off a toot and it wouldn't stay started under 1k rpm, not sure if it was advanced or retarted.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Sunday, May 27, 2012 3:40 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:I thought you parted your car man?

Also, back in 07 my timing was off a toot and it wouldn't stay started under 1k rpm, not sure if it was advanced or retarted.

me.... oh god no just one of my spare ld9's

and the o-ring is fine could i have killed my oil pump?

Sunday, May 27, 2012 6:37 PM
Quote:

.........the oil pump swap plugs and theyre perfect its only the intake cam oil pressure that low :-(

from what i can see

Sunday, June 03, 2012 12:44 PM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search